Prices - what surprised you and shocked you the most?

richselina

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two things immediately spring to mind. (bearing in mind that we are UK pensioners and not working here)

Price of cars

Cost of window cleaning

Mike

Window washing is expensive because it is very unusual to get someone to clean your windows here. In the UK they tend to be doing a run in the area on a regular basis so there is not the travelling time that there is here between jobs. Also, to be fair, most people have a lot more window area here....

good my sons are up there now picking!

Yes but in comparison to other Aussie grown stuff too assume decent wages for that as well.

they do seem out of proportion.

I know - they do still seem too expensive. I'm off to buy a tree....

Positive one - petrol is significantly cheaper.

Don't worry they are working on that. "Oh dear the delivery tankers are all dangerous, we'll have to charge you much more at the pump so we can fix our vehicles. Honestly, before we just couldn't afford to do it"

After spending 2012 in the uk and coming back to oz, i don't see much in it at all now. Second hands cars yes, more expensive here. Alcohols a standout. Some food items. Meat seems a lot cheaper here and better quality. Petrol a lot cheaper here. For how long but who knows. Car servicing cheaper in oz. Public transport cheaper here except flights. These days there is hardly anything in it. My wife was actually surprised , she expected it to be more expensive here for everything. Shopping has worked out for us two approx the same in both countries. Meals out can be pricey here, depending on where you choose. There is also plenty of cheap options, just don't expect a good ol English curry, but that's another story.seriously though there isn't much in it and if your in a job where you benifit from higher wages here , life can be good.

Comparing like with like in terms of quality, clothes are horribly expensive in Aus. Even where I've found stuff I liked, the Aussie stuff tends to fall apart after a few months (stand up and take a bow Gazman and Myer, for the sale of notably overpriced and fragile men's work clothes). Stuff shipped mail order from the UK (sometimes now from .com.au sites) is way better and often still significantly cheaper. But major sporting events are far cheaper, decent Asian food is very reasonable, new cars and petrol are cheap. Bread is pricey, especially decent stuff, but meat, particularly beef and lamb is relatively cheap and high quality. Sweets are expensive! It's cheaper to ship in bulk from Germany and get what I like. Beer - yes, it is pricey. But at least you can get decent micro-brewery stuff and Dan Murphy's is just wonderful.

Most fishing tackle is far cheaper in Australia.

From Fosters, Birmingham,

10259-250611161235679710687.jpg

5-3011101416131506168242.jpg

Part No: CHARSPMULTI

Charter Special Multiplier Reel

Not Yet Rated:Write The First Review

[TABLE=class: grpChld, width: 430]

[TR=class: r1]

[TD=class: c1, bgcolor: #F4F4F4, colspan: 5]TR1000LD - Charter Special 1000 LD[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: r2]

[TD=class: c1, bgcolor: #F4F4F4]RRP: £119.99[/TD]

[TD=class: c2, bgcolor: #F4F4F4]Save: £18.00[/TD]

[TD=class: c3, bgcolor: #F4F4F4, align: right]Our Price: £101.99[/TD]

[TD=class: c4, bgcolor: #F4F4F4][/TD]

[TD=class: c5, bgcolor: #F4F4F4, align: right][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: r3]

[TD=class: c1, bgcolor: #F4F4F4, colspan: 5][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: r1]

[TD=class: c1, bgcolor: #F4F4F4, colspan: 5]TR2000LD - Charter Special 2000 LD[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: r2]

[TD=class: c1, bgcolor: #F4F4F4]RRP: £119.99[/TD]

[TD=class: c2, bgcolor: #F4F4F4]Save: £18.00[/TD]

[TD=class: c3, bgcolor: #F4F4F4, align: right]Our Price: £101.99[/TD]

[TD=class: c4, bgcolor: #F4F4F4][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

From Mo Tackle, Coffs Harbour;

http://www.motackle.com.au/fishing/reels/charter-special-3102762.html

Those prices are a straight comparison. Factor in the wages in UK to those in Australia and you will note that the costs are even less in Australia.

Cheers, Bobj.

Car Wash is expensive!

On the flip side a trip to the cinema is cheap

Out of interest how much does the cinema cost you? We've been a few times and think it's really expensive.

I'm surprised how expensive beer is... in the uk!

the average aussie has to work about 20 mins to earn a pint. the average brit would have to work more like a half hour.

That is the whole issue flyby, the diff in wages/time worked. A straight comparison looks better on paper but not when one factors in the wages. Australian costs look even better once the poms do their sums.:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Guest66881

The trouble we used to have was we still had English prices in our heads, once you get passed that and start earning Aussie wages it usually works out the same or less for a lot of things here.

Archived