Do we take the lot or not?!

Beffers

We are taking everything. We have some very expensive items, and a lot of new stuff as we brought a house last year, so financially it makes sense to take it all. If we had older stuff we would leave it and buy new there. What DH did was put together a spreadsheet (accountant lol), listed all of the items we would have to replace, got indicative prices from online, then compared it to the cost of shipping.

The only problem I foresee is we have some very large items ( a super king size bed, 4 seater settee, american fridge freezer ect) if if they will fit in our new house, but we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Edited by M1cha3la

I decided that I didn't want to bring everything and the only furniture items we are taking are an antique desk, 3 chests of drawers, 2 bedside cabinets, our bed (kingsize but metal frame so dismantles), 1 wardrobe and my books. I thought easy peasy, go groupage, half a container and Bob is someone's uncle.

HOWEVER I have so many books that we actually need a whole 20 foot container to ourselves :huh:. So additionally we are taking 3 single beds (all dismantle) and that is the container full!!!

I decided that I didn't want to bring everything and the only furniture items we are taking are an antique desk, 3 chests of drawers, 2 bedside cabinets, our bed (kingsize but metal frame so dismantles), 1 wardrobe and my books. I thought easy peasy, go groupage, half a container and Bob is someone's uncle.

HOWEVER I have so many books that we actually need a whole 20 foot container to ourselves :huh:. So additionally we are taking 3 single beds (all dismantle) and that is the container full!!!

hat

sounds like us!!! I have loads of books :-( lol

We are taking everything. We have some very expensive items, and a lot of new stuff as we brought a house last year, so financially it makes sense to take it all. If we had older stuff we would leave it and buy new there. What DH did was put together a spreadsheet (accountant lol), listed all of the items we would have to replace, got indicative prices from online, then compared it to the cost of shipping.

The only problem I foresee is we have some very large items ( a super king size bed, 4 seater settee, american fridge freezer ect) if if they will fit in our new house, but we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Good idea! Lol @ spreadsheet! He clearly has his uses!!!

Is normally the other way around. UK furniture and fittings often seem dwarfed by the enormous Aussie rooms and houses. :wink:

I've been wondering the same. I love our bed, purely because it is soooo comfy, but other than that our furniture is pretty old and has zero sentimental value.

The more I consider it the more I thing that I'll just get a move cube for our bikes, scooter and special family stuff like photos etc. Then if there's space I'll try and squeeze the bed in :)

Please share your Movecube experience, we are thinking of doing the same, did you go for the larger crate?

If you put 'movecube' into the forum search you'll find lots of people who have posted having used them.

I get asked this question 20time every day from customers at the end of the day it normally down to Budget, I have worked out some our prices below which may be of help to you, I would suggest you call 3 local companies to there prices!

Say you are moving from London to Melbourne

This is roughly what a local company to you would charge for groupage (shared container) full door to door including packing, wrapping, delivery to door unpacking etc.

100 cuft - £665

200 cuft - £1095

300 cuft - £1410

400 cuft - £1695

Hope this helps and all the best with you adventure

Kyle