Repayment of employee-sponsored PR

Scrubnib

Hi everyone!

If a company sponsors a temporary resident from the UK (457 visa) to become a Permenant Resident, is there any limit to the payback restrictions they can impose on the person if they leave the company afterwards? E.g. 100% of PR costs to be repayed if leaving within 12 months, 50% within 24 months, etc.

I heard somewhere that such restrictions were illegal, but that's probably hearsay.

Thanks heaps

I don't know about the legality of such a thing, but I was made to sign a new contract when my company sponsored me for PR. I had to repay the whole visa and agents cost if I left the Company within 18 months of the visa being granted. So mine wasn't even pro-rata for time! Thankfully passed the 18 months now, so that's a weight off!

Thanks everyone, really helpful stuff. Blossom79 - I think that link relates to 457 visas rather than PR, but I'll check it whether a similar document exists for PR.

Sounds like there isn't a limit but it's up to you to negotiate with your employer. The experiences above really help me judge what is considered standard.

It's not the only thing like this.

Most companies who fund professional studies (accountancy qualifications, degree courses etc) will also have some sort of agreement in place for employees who leave within a certain period of time.

It's only reasonable to have a commitment from both parties.

We include repayment in full of costs associated with sponsoring for PR in contracts if employees elect to leave within two years. We would expect the contract to be honoured in the same way we honour the conditions we are responsible for delivering.

Everyone we have sponsored is still with us but if someone did elect to leave within the stipulated timeframe we would persue recovery of the costs even if that meant we spent more on the recovery than it was worth - it's a matter of principle.

Archived