Perth (like or dislike)

Wannabeinaussie

The difference being Perth's City Centre is small and hardly enough to satisfy all of lives needs. Sydney on the other hand is a Global City, with far greater diversity and energy and vibe than does Perth.

Ask yourself why do so many of our younger folk relocate to Melbourne and Sydney (if not further afield) especially the educated and socially aware. Answer.

I see this statement about "so many of our young people relocating" quite a bit flag and to be honest I don't see it amongst any of my eldests friends. A few of them are working FIFO and travel a lot. A couple have just got back from 3 months and 6 months travelling around Europe but both are back in Perth as their companies keep their jobs open for them. It just seems to be the way things are with Perth youngsters these days, seems to be an assumed thing that they will go travelling for a bit. I don't know one that's relocated to Melbourne or Sydney though. I know one that's in London at the moment but he's living in a small apartment, as it's all he can afford and he's coming back pretty soon.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see this statement about "so many of our young people relocating" quite a bit flag and to be honest I don't see it amongst any of my eldests friends. A few of them are working FIFO and travel a lot. A couple have just got back from 3 months and 6 months travelling around Europe but both are back in Perth as their companies keep their jobs open for them. It just seems to be the way things are with Perth youngsters these days, seems to be an assumed thing that they will go travelling for a bit. I don't know one that's relocated to Melbourne or Sydney though. I know one that's in London at the moment but he's living in a small apartment, as it's all he can afford and he's coming back pretty soon.

Met the mother of another one only last night at the Chinese New Year celebrations in fact. Her daughter relocated to London some eight years ago and the mother would live there as well if able, but out of the question as having only an Aussie passport.

Her daughter would not return to Perth but go to Melbourne, if ever moved back to Australia.

London has been in for a long time. USA got very popular in more recent times as has Japan, Hong Kong and UAR. A lot from the latter I expect will/have returned.

I think it more a case of those leaving uni with good degrees that have remained in Perth than not. We know many that have gone onto Melbourne. A few to Sydney, but far fewer and a few overseas on a permanent basis. Although one woman whose been living in Finland of all places for nine years does look to be returning to Perth. All in question are Aussie or Aussie raised. Rather the norm for folk we know in our case.

Met the mother of another one only last night at the Chinese New Year celebrations in fact. Her daughter relocated to London some eight years ago and the mother would live there as well if able, but out of the question as having only an Aussie passport.

Her daughter would not return to Perth but go to Melbourne, if ever moved back to Australia.

London has been in for a long time. USA got very popular in more recent times as has Japan, Hong Kong and UAR. A lot from the latter I expect will/have returned.

I think it more a case of those leaving uni with good degrees that have remained in Perth than not. We know many that have gone onto Melbourne. A few to Sydney, but far fewer and a few overseas on a permanent basis. Although one woman whose been living in Finland of all places for nine years does look to be returning to Perth. All in question are Aussie or Aussie raised. Rather the norm for folk we know in our case.

Ah well mate, we must mix in totally different circles I guess.

Maybe they have got together for a weekend break in that place where the streets are paved with gold and it never rains ?

Or fed up with the circling of the wagon brigade, that come out in numbers to defend Perth with some vigour. Part of the problem with the place of course. All too many don't demand better. And yes many are easily pleased for a time at least.

Guest Guest26012
We must indeed. Perth is prime for trade related workers. Limited value to many others. Even my dental hygienist from Perth, but only recently back from a few years in UK is wanting to relocate

We all have our own stories to relate. Perth is not for everyone but suits a lot. And we all see it through different eyes, I guess?

Guest Guest 47403
Or fed up with the circling of the wagon brigade, that come out in numbers to defend Perth with some vigour. Part of the problem with the place of course. All too many don't demand better. And yes many are easily pleased for a time at least.

You're very good at subtle insults aren't you.

It would be wrong to say I dislike Perth but after living there for 4 years I decided it offered us as a family less than the UK.

Perth has no more 'thugs' than any other city and whilst drug / alcohol problems are rife amongst young people again I'd say no worse than anywhere else. I think what is crucial for potential migrants to understand is that it's no better either. Of course there are particular areas of the UK that would be significantly worse but that in itself is not a good reason to move to Perth/Australia.

Rather than thinking about Perth as a city it is better to think of it as a region or a county with numerous cities/towns and your experience of 'Perth' will depend on where you live and work. When we went on our reccie we 'disliked' an awful lot of the suburbs which are not unlike the 'new towns' or 'dormitory' towns in the UK - the time commuting, the lack of character/culture/entertainment. I think this is where the 'ghost town after 6pm' idea comes from - now I've never lived in these places but with friends all over Perth I would tend to say there is a lot of truth in it.

We chose to live near Fremantle which I 'like' very much but of course that comes at a price. And brings it's own problems as the more vibrant areas have more crime issues, my DH was assaulted by youths on our doorstep who were trying to break-in. But then we lived in a village in Scotland with the lowest crime rate in the Central Scotland area and we were broken into whilst on holiday - it can happen anywhere.

The over-riding culture does seem to be 'early to bed, early to rise' but if you're a 20-something there are still clubs until the early hours of the morning, although not 24 hour like London. These tend to be in Northbridge rather than Perth CBD which adds to the 'ghost town' feel - I remember on our reccie coming out of a cinema around 7pm and everywhere was closed, the only place we could eat was McDonald's and the CBD had quite a menacing feel. It is starting to change though and some quite nice places have opened up in the last few years, the re-development plans in progress will improve things more.

My summary is Perth does not offer a 'safer' or 'better' environment to bring up children than a decent town in the UK and as an adult offered me much less in the way of entertainment (maybe it was just the people I met but most entertainment seemed to go on at home with other couples and their kids - all rather tame!)

I've never got the comments about isolation and you feel it either. Never felt isolated from anything or anywhere. In the UK the furthest we would go on a night out was Sheffield. A half hour train ride away. Usually 4 miles into Chesterfield town centre was far enough for a good night out.

When we went on a real holiday it was a plane flight away. We are 30 Km out of Perth and have loads to do around where we live without having to go into Perth.

I've always found it feels like being in really deep water. You still float, and its no more dangerous than being in your pool, but you just have that sensation of depth which can be unnerving, or awe inspiring. But I guess if you don't feel it you don't feel it.

It would be wrong to say I dislike Perth but after living there for 4 years I decided it offered us as a family less than the UK.

Perth has no more 'thugs' than any other city and whilst drug / alcohol problems are rife amongst young people again I'd say no worse than anywhere else. I think what is crucial for potential migrants to understand is that it's no better either. Of course there are particular areas of the UK that would be significantly worse but that in itself is not a good reason to move to Perth/Australia.

Rather than thinking about Perth as a city it is better to think of it as a region or a county with numerous cities/towns and your experience of 'Perth' will depend on where you live and work. When we went on our reccie we 'disliked' an awful lot of the suburbs which are not unlike the 'new towns' or 'dormitory' towns in the UK - the time commuting, the lack of character/culture/entertainment. I think this is where the 'ghost town after 6pm' idea comes from - now I've never lived in these places but with friends all over Perth I would tend to say there is a lot of truth in it.

We chose to live near Fremantle which I 'like' very much but of course that comes at a price. And brings it's own problems as the more vibrant areas have more crime issues, my DH was assaulted by youths on our doorstep who were trying to break-in. But then we lived in a village in Scotland with the lowest crime rate in the Central Scotland area and we were broken into whilst on holiday - it can happen anywhere.

The over-riding culture does seem to be 'early to bed, early to rise' but if you're a 20-something there are still clubs until the early hours of the morning, although not 24 hour like London. These tend to be in Northbridge rather than Perth CBD which adds to the 'ghost town' feel - I remember on our reccie coming out of a cinema around 7pm and everywhere was closed, the only place we could eat was McDonald's and the CBD had quite a menacing feel. It is starting to change though and some quite nice places have opened up in the last few years, the re-development plans in progress will improve things more.

My summary is Perth does not offer a 'safer' or 'better' environment to bring up children than a decent town in the UK and as an adult offered me much less in the way of entertainment (maybe it was just the people I met but most entertainment seemed to go on at home with other couples and their kids - all rather tame!)

i know in the end you decided Perth/OZ wasn't for you and you returned to the Uk, whilst for us (my family) we've found we are settled and happy but I completely agree with your comments, I think they are very balanced and do pretty much sum things up. We are happy here in OZ, it seems to work for us as a family and we love our life, not particularly because we have a pool in the back yard and can go to the beach every week, we just feel pretty settled and content however, we have experienced the'dark side' and being burgled as we slept whilst living in the supposedly exclusive area of South Beach wasn't nice yet we've had 2 very contented and 'secure' feeling years in the not so exclusive hammy Hill!!!! The social issues of today are there, wherever you live and recently there were 'crack house' raids in Beaconsfield, it's around, it happens but we don't really see it day to day and we don't live in fear.....

Thank you for taking the time to write this!

Scarborough is definitely one of the more vibrant areas so you should have fun there - a fair few pubs and restaurants & lots of surfers, students, travellers giving it a vibe.

I don't think you need to worry about lights out at 6pm there :)

Quite an expensive place to live Real Estate wise though - average house price is around $750K. And a lot of houses in Scarborough are 'villa' style - what we'd call semi-detached or terraced - a typical 4X2 would be nearer $900k

We are coming from chesterfield and heading to Scarborough beach, I have read lots of good opinions on here, I am going with an open mind and definitely not expecting to much!!

Aww you'll be fine here in Perth, if you're from Chesterfield you're made of tough stuff says a former South Yorks gal!!!!

Hi,

Ive been to perth but only as a backpacker, the wife has never been. I totally understand that my experience of perth will be different to when we move there. we are planning to move in October 2014.

What i have been told by people who live there is that it is quite, and there is not a pub culture. people normally get together at each other's homes instead. Which im looking forward to.

is this correct, or am i being fed bull info?

Hi,

Ive been to perth but only as a backpacker, the wife has never been. I totally understand that my experience of perth will be different to when we move there. we are planning to move in October 2014.

What i have been told by people who live there is that it is quite, and there is not a pub culture. people normally get together at each other's homes instead. Which im looking forward to.

is this correct, or am i being fed bull info?

That was definitely my experience, which didn't suit me.

The outstanding issues you are likely to find on arrival is the outrageous costs around housing and entertainment. I take it work is not an issue.

Perth is a city besides the high costs, made for the young family. The issues are more when the kid's decide Perth is too limited in later years and move to Melbourne or Sydney or London. Many in our experience do not move back.

It may be a little difficult to get a realistic cross section of opinion on this Forum, as it wouldn't come as a great surprise if dissenters are scared/shy to view negatives with regards to Perth from the defenders of the place. Some only here the wag of a dog's tail themselves. Others here longer, but set up in their suburban abodes. At I time I may add when Perth was dirt cheap in many cases if coming from UK.

I would say Perth suites working class folk more generally than professional folk who would generally be more enticed by Sydney or Melbourne. It's not great for single or separated folk men or women. And there are a lot of them as well.

It is a rather conservative and conformist place which riles some. A little sterile to boot. This leads to the over voiced comments with regards to the dullness. Not all care for sport.

Perth CBD is hardly dead these days. Rather jumping on a Friday or Saturday night. Far less so on other nights but still some around. Crime is an issue more in certain suburbs than others. Same applies to drugs. All is not as prime and pristine as sometimes appears. Hardly the Bronx either. Suburbs are pretty much dead though.

Perth is growing in population far too quickly with the assorted problems connected with that. The long awaited public transport improvements are sadly on hold. If we ever get them.

Not sure what you mean by racism. If it of personal concern, being non white, I wouldn't worry too much. That is not to say racism isn't here as it clearly is, but far less overt than previous times.

Was at the Chinese New Year celebrations in the City yesterday. A good example of how modern Perth is rapidly becoming. Change is coming to Perth ready or not.

Can you tell me why it's not great for single or separated people??

Debs

We are making the big move to Perth this year, I have read some really bad things on perth, am I making a mistake??

I read on one forum, children aged 13 starting bush fires?? Racism is quite bad? Don't go out after 6pm as it's like a ghost town??

Perth isn't going to be for everyone I understand that just have a few concerns!!

Iv heard bad things but none of them. I lived in Perth for 6 months and im moving back there with my boyfriend. I hated the place, i honestly couldnt give you a nice word about the place but since iv been back in England and realised the green is greener, i cant wait to get back.

My issue with perth was the lack of life, which now i can see i was making up in my head haha.

My issue was alot of things close after 9pm, im used to late night shopping, mid night clubbing, and lots to do.

Im from near London but when you compare England with Perth, your come to realise although you may be missing a few things, look at all the things you gain.

Can you tell me why it's not great for single or separated people??

Debs

I know you didn't ask me but what I found was that a lot of my social life was 'family focussed' - I honestly only had one 'girls night out' in 4 years and that was a 'crafting night' - not my thing but went anyway!

I really missed drunken nights out with with friends where I could behave badly rather than family BBQ's.

Now this could be specific to my circumstances - most of the friends I met were through school and at work the majority of colleagues were men, although there really was no 'after work drinks' culture anyway, people tended to leave work by 5pm and go home.

Northbridge is aimed at the younger crowd so I'm not sure where a single/separated person would fit, especially if they are not looking to date on-line. I'm married though so wasn't looking for it - would have loved girlfriends though!

Archived