Perth (like or dislike)

Wannabeinaussie

The main drama over there is the cost of stuff. I always remember the first time I went to Cott, walking round and up from the beach I remember thinking - this is the height of human civilisation, it doesn't get any better than this....

I guess that's kinda the problem with the joint, in that it's massively been a victim of it's own success in terms of livability hence the (now) massive costs.

For example, normal people cannot afford to live in these areas any more. It's sooo nice that it is now totally un-affordable.

The other thing over there was the price of a pint - horrendous.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have a boy aged 2 years, We want the best life for him and us, what I have read is shocking, children turning into thugs, been looking at cost of living and I no it's expensive but have read if you haven't got a really highly paid job you have no chance of affording it here, run down streets, shops etc, new arrivals coming to perth not being able to fit it!!

If you want to hear a lot of good stuff about Perth mate read back through my posting history. You must have read only the negative Perth threads if you've been reading about

children turning into thugs. Most posts I've seen seem to suggest that kids remain kids a lot longer than most other places here. Our eldest was 2 when we first came, he's 24 now, youngest born here and 18.

I find kids here talk to older people a lot more and have a bit more respect for things too.

Run down streets, shops??? Not seen any.

New arrivals not being able to fit in says more about the new arrivals than the people of Perth. Especially if you live in the Northern or Southern suburbs near the Coast, it's poms paradise.

Guest Guest66881
If you want to hear a lot of good stuff about Perth mate read back through my posting history. You must have read only the negative Perth threads if you've been reading about

children turning into thugs. Most posts I've seen seem to suggest that kids remain kids a lot longer than most other places here. Our eldest was 2 when we first came, he's 24 now, youngest born here and 18.

I find kids here talk to older people a lot more and have a bit more respect for things too.

Run down streets, shops??? Not seen any.

New arrivals not being able to fit in says more about the new arrivals than the people of Perth. Especially if you live in the Northern or Southern suburbs near the Coast, it's poms paradise.

And nothing wrong with that either:wink:

We have friends who have their Sister and BIL on holiday with them. They've been here a couple of weeks and neither of them has been before. Go to meet them for the first time yesterday on the beach. Got chatting to the BIL and he said he didn't really know what to expect but had sort of formed a picture in his mind, as he'd seen photos and chatted to our friends who've lived here for a few years.

I asked if it had lived up to it. He said it's far surpassed anything I could have imagined.

Take it you don't like it then?

Living in Helena Valley Paul, and love it, but Midland is dead, the night life consists of watching the Aboriginals beat the crap out of each other at Midland station. Go out of 'Midland' and the area is nice, Guildford, Mudaring, Ellenbrook, Kalumunda etc, but they are places in their own right. Nah, will be glad to move into our own place, and enjoy some 'modern' living.

Guest Guest66881
Living in Helena Valley Paul, and love it, but Midland is dead, the night life consists of watching the Aboriginals beat the crap out of each other at Midland station. Go out of 'Midland' and the area is nice, Guildford, Mudaring, Ellenbrook, Kalumunda etc, but they are places in their own right. Nah, will be glad to move into our own place, and enjoy some 'modern' living.

Just bigging up the burbs and surrounding villages mate, worked a lot around Midland and Morley yeah the drunks at 5 o clock are an issue especially around the bus station:laugh:

For me - "like". Well, in fact "like a lot" as in "love it". In the 60's, Perth was a quiet backwater, but so much has changed. It is still relatively quiet, and there are places in Perth you would rather not be. But for me, my wife and children, this is as good as it gets. Our children will probably - should probably - move out of Perth and Australia to make their own way in the world. When it comes to quality of life though, Perth is the place to be.

Mind you, there are always those who much prefer other Australian cities. There are those who prefer to be out of any city and live in the bush or country. All good. Come and see for yourself.

Just bigging up the burbs and surrounding villages mate, worked a lot around Midland and Morley yeah the drunks at 5 o clock are an issue especially around the bus station:laugh:

There are countless issues in Midland. Glue sniffing in the open was a big one a few years back. After dark walking from work place to train station after dark one need's to have their wits about them. Not just the train station either, but on the actual train heading towards the city on a frequent basis you will witness some sights and possibly being involved.

Perth has suffered/enjoyed massive growth over the last, well forever really. I personally don't think the transport infrastructure has been kept up to date, and it requires investment.

You see far less police on the streets than you used to, and there is a lot of crime in the papers. A lot of this is sensational press though.

It can get very hot in summer and surprisingly cold in winter.

Driving is a little unorthodox and without empathy for some reason. They could do with another courtesy is contagious campaign.

Perth does have a small town mentality, and many people don't like change.

Perth is isolated, and you feel that isolation. Although many come to love it.

I wouldn't think any of the above is a reason for not coming. It is a very beautiful city, and if you like outdoor activities, then it is bliss.

I've not been to Perth since 1997, but I loved it when I first arrived in Australia, in 1978, and would have stayed if I had been able to get a job. I don't understand the obsession with its 'isolation' because how many people living in Perth need to be in Sydney or Melbourne on a regular basis? So what if it's a four hour flight? Might be a problem for business people, but which of life's essentials does anybody else need to go to 'the Eastern States' for? Hospitals? Universities? In the last five years, I've (sadly perhaps) not been outside Sydney's metro area, but I have not needed to. Why would it be any different in Perth?

As far as social problems go, well, they are endemic in any big city. Look at the 'moral panic' in Sydney about young people staying out late and getting drunk. As if they were the first generation to discover alcohol!

I've never got the comments about isolation and you feel it either. Never felt isolated from anything or anywhere. In the UK the furthest we would go on a night out was Sheffield. A half hour train ride away. Usually 4 miles into Chesterfield town centre was far enough for a good night out.

When we went on a real holiday it was a plane flight away. We are 30 Km out of Perth and have loads to do around where we live without having to go into Perth.

We are making the big move to Perth this year, I have read some really bad things on perth, am I making a mistake??

I read on one forum, children aged 13 starting bush fires?? Racism is quite bad? Don't go out after 6pm as it's like a ghost town??

Perth isn't going to be for everyone I understand that just have a few concerns!!

The outstanding issues you are likely to find on arrival is the outrageous costs around housing and entertainment. I take it work is not an issue.

Perth is a city besides the high costs, made for the young family. The issues are more when the kid's decide Perth is too limited in later years and move to Melbourne or Sydney or London. Many in our experience do not move back.

It may be a little difficult to get a realistic cross section of opinion on this Forum, as it wouldn't come as a great surprise if dissenters are scared/shy to view negatives with regards to Perth from the defenders of the place. Some only here the wag of a dog's tail themselves. Others here longer, but set up in their suburban abodes. At I time I may add when Perth was dirt cheap in many cases if coming from UK.

I would say Perth suites working class folk more generally than professional folk who would generally be more enticed by Sydney or Melbourne. It's not great for single or separated folk men or women. And there are a lot of them as well.

It is a rather conservative and conformist place which riles some. A little sterile to boot. This leads to the over voiced comments with regards to the dullness. Not all care for sport.

Perth CBD is hardly dead these days. Rather jumping on a Friday or Saturday night. Far less so on other nights but still some around. Crime is an issue more in certain suburbs than others. Same applies to drugs. All is not as prime and pristine as sometimes appears. Hardly the Bronx either. Suburbs are pretty much dead though.

Perth is growing in population far too quickly with the assorted problems connected with that. The long awaited public transport improvements are sadly on hold. If we ever get them.

Not sure what you mean by racism. If it of personal concern, being non white, I wouldn't worry too much. That is not to say racism isn't here as it clearly is, but far less overt than previous times.

Was at the Chinese New Year celebrations in the City yesterday. A good example of how modern Perth is rapidly becoming. Change is coming to Perth ready or not.

I've never got the comments about isolation and you feel it either. Never felt isolated from anything or anywhere. In the UK the furthest we would go on a night out was Sheffield. A half hour train ride away. Usually 4 miles into Chesterfield town centre was far enough for a good night out.

When we went on a real holiday it was a plane flight away. We are 30 Km out of Perth and have loads to do around where we live without having to go into Perth.

With regards the isolation. Some get it others don't. I live in the inner city and I get it.

I've not been to Perth since 1997, but I loved it when I first arrived in Australia, in 1978, and would have stayed if I had been able to get a job. I don't understand the obsession with its 'isolation' because how many people living in Perth need to be in Sydney or Melbourne on a regular basis? So what if it's a four hour flight? Might be a problem for business people, but which of life's essentials does anybody else need to go to 'the Eastern States' for? Hospitals? Universities? In the last five years, I've (sadly perhaps) not been outside Sydney's metro area, but I have not needed to. Why would it be any different in Perth?

As far as social problems go, well, they are endemic in any big city. Look at the 'moral panic' in Sydney about young people staying out late and getting drunk. As if they were the first generation to discover alcohol!

The difference being Perth's City Centre is small and hardly enough to satisfy all of lives needs. Sydney on the other hand is a Global City, with far greater diversity and energy and vibe than does Perth.

Ask yourself why do so many of our younger folk relocate to Melbourne and Sydney (if not further afield) especially the educated and socially aware. Answer.

Archived