I will literally die if this happens....

M1cha3la

image.jpg

And i guarantee it will happen. The second i get off the plane every spider in the whole of Oz will come for me... Seriously what do you do? I am trying to be an adult and deal with this fear and am googling them as power is knowledge, but tbh i am loosing :cry:

image.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure where in Aus you're going but here in VIC we never see them, or hardly ever. Fewer than when in the UK (where every other person seems to being bitten by false widow spiders these days). Having two cats might help as they seem to clobber any bugs. You can have your house sprayed as well. I am a bit of an arachnophobe too but honestly it's not an issue for me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23055[/ATTACH]

And i guarantee it will happen. The second i get off the plane every spider in the whole of Oz will come for me... Seriously what do you do? I am trying to be an adult and deal with this fear and am googling them as power is knowledge, but tbh i am loosing :cry:

Ive seen it mentioned that people have been on awareness days "kinda thing" ,to conquer their fear of spiders M,they're probably not called awareness days:wacko:,but you get my drift?im assuming you handle them when there tho?!:biggrin::laugh:

Ive seen it mentioned that people have been on awareness days "kinda thing" ,to conquer their fear of spiders M,they're probably not called awareness days:wacko:,but you get my drift?im assuming you handle them when there tho?!:biggrin::laugh:

I tried one and passed out :err::laugh: They bring them out in tubs and explain how great they are and how beautiful they are and then they get them out and you hold them, and i was like nope and hit the deck... Lol.

I tried one and passed out :err::laugh: They bring them out in tubs and explain how great they are and how beautiful they are and then they get them out and you hold them, and i was like nope and hit the deck... Lol.

:biglaugh:awwwwww:hug:,hopefully you'll get used to them,others have,good luck with it:wink:

When we were in oz last year I was literally petrified of everything. Not sure if I was being wound up by friends but firstly spiders, brown snakes, pluvers (birds that attack), mag pies, fruit bats, sharks, fat toad things, jellyfish.... They literally went through every poxy thing that can hurt you and for the first week or so I was so nervy and jumpy. How people live near the bush is beyond me! And then there's areas with crocs and there's an island that has dingos ahhhhhhhhhhhh . I wonder if there is a thread on here with people's experiences of close encounters??? Or info on what to do if?

There is an online desensitisation program, developed by the University of Tasmania, called Feardrop.

http://www.feardrop.com/index.php?content=about

It is free and you complete it at your own pace.

My daughter, whose only fear in the whole known universe was spiders, completed the program...and it worked!

She had convincing proof the day she had a class of high school girls screaming about a spider....she picked it up in her bare hands, and put it outside. :biggrin:

PS: I hasten to add she had identified it as a non harmful spider before picking it up bare handed!

Snakes oddly don't bother me at all, they're always more afraid of you.

In Sydney IME snakes are more of an issue than spiders

There are dangerous spiders but you will rarely be bothered. Lots of redbacks in plant pots and similar if you take the time to look. Not an issue if you just leave them alone, you only need to be vigilant if you have the type of young kids who will poke about in such places. White tails will roam and come inside but are easily killed. Funnel webs aren't much of a problem but you need to be aware if you do gardening. Occasionally they roam, best solution is just to barrier spray the house and they won't come in

OTOH, there are a lot of brown snakes and that species in particular can be aggressive. We have had 2 snake bites already in 6 months on one project, in suburban Sydney. Care required around any long grass or similar undergrowth

Ticks and bull ants are also quite unpleasant ;-)

Archived