Has anyone sat the IELTS test?

PeterJa

Hi, can anyone who has sat the test answer a couple of questions please?

- The notes I've seen refer to writing in pen and pencil. Candidates can write in pen can't they? If so, can you bring your own?

- Do you get extra notepaper to plan your essay and letter? I really like to plan but I don't particularly want to do it on the answer paper.

Thanks for any help,

PJ.

I used pencil for all tests as its easier to amend mistakes. You can make your plan on question paper and I urge you to spend at least 5 minutes planning your essay it really helped me. Good luck let me know if you want to know anything about the tests and what to expect.

I did mine a few months ago and used pencil throughout, nowhere did it dictate that a pen had to be used (delighted with my results, 8.5,9,9,9)

Tip, take a pencil sharpener, or several sharp pencils, with all of that writing it's surprising how quickly they go blunt.

Great, thanks A LOT for the help everyone.

One thing I've noticed is there seems to be a huge amount of time allocated for the listening and the reading, but very little for the writing. An hour to write a 150 word letter and a 250 essay is pretty tight.

Is it just me or did other people find this?

Cheers,

PJ

One thing I've noticed is there seems to be a huge amount of time allocated for the listening and the reading, but very little for the writing. An hour to write a 150 word letter and a 250 essay is pretty tight.

Cheers,

PJ

I personally found the 1 hour enough time and I really did write a lot. Just be careful not to digress or stray from the question. Native speakers do tend to float around the question. You need to be as concise as possible with your answer and honestly, the word limit they give you, is enough for a high score.

I struggled in practice papers as I was using my essay skills picked up from doing my History degree. I read the marking criteria thoroughly and realised that you really can keep the word limit down if you just stick to the point at hand at all times.

Pencils and a rubber was provided for me on my test date.

Cheers,

PJ

Yes, I felt it was really tight to complete even I couldn't have written plan but only in mind. Also never paused in the middle of writing.

After completing essay writing, around 1min later the bell rang. But thank God that I got score 7 which is not bad.

Hope for the best!

If you plan your essay first intro, middle and summary then you should have time to complete. There are loads of tips on essay writing on here I've posted lots about ielts test so look up my previous threads. Do you have any practice material? Loads on Internet for free and it's worth doing for reading listening and writing, if you're native English speaker then the speaking test is easy you can make it up as you go along! The letter part just make sure you address all the bullet points in the question.

Good Luck to everyone sitting the IELTS test on Saturday. I sat mine in October and was not allowed to take any stationary in (was planning to take a highlighter for reading test, a tip from this site. We were all provided with a pencil a sharpener and an eraser. I just underlined important info in the reading test with the pencil and found the pencil & eraser useful in the writing!!!

Good Luck to everyone sitting the IELTS test on Saturday. I sat mine in October and was not allowed to take any stationary in (was planning to take a highlighter for reading test, a tip from this site. We were all provided with a pencil a sharpener and an eraser. I just underlined important info in the reading test with the pencil and found the pencil & eraser useful in the writing!!!

I don't want to seem like a pedant but try and make sure you use the correct stationery/stationary, their/there/they're, principle/principal etc. in your written paper as this demonstrates your understanding of the English language.

I also heard that a misspelt answer in the listening section would be a wrong answer e.g. Goverment (missing n) but don't know if that is true or just a scare story.

I don't want to seem like a pedant but try and make sure you use the correct stationery/stationary, their/there/they're, principle/principal etc. in your written paper as this demonstrates your understanding of the English language.

I also heard that a misspelt answer in the listening section would be a wrong answer e.g. Goverment (missing n) but don't know if that is true or just a scare story.

Yes they deduct points for spelling mistakes!

If you have a UK passport (or Canada or US) you are considered to meet the requirement for English proficiency. However if you want to claim points for a skilled visa for English proficiency you will need to prove this through the IELTS.

O right, thanks for explaining :)

Hi,

A silly question maybe but I am new to this: Why do English people have to pass an IELTS test?

Just wondering...

Thanks!

i think just because people are born English , it doesnt mean they have a acceptable level or ability of writing , speaking, reading , or listening to English - for oz emigration purposes

i often wonder how my son will get on when he is older with all the texting abreviations they use nowadays ... also a older relative of mine is English, always has been but really would not be able to write very well at all .

i dont necessarily see the IELTs as a bad thing ... despite the fact i had to do it myself

I did it twice. Needed to sit the academic IELTS for my skills assessment and needed 7's or above for that. However, I needed 8's and above to claim 20 points for my visa. As i only got a 7.5 for my reading on the academic test I had to sit it again. But because it was for points only, I could do the general instead of the academic which was a bit easier. I suspect toodoloo is doing it for the same reasons.

Debs

Archived