Perth or brisbane

nicholiverpool

Hey guys, for the past few years we have been convinced we are going to perth to live once my wife qualified as a nurse, she qualifies in march so will be hoping to lodge application 3 months after, brisbane is now looking better for us as a family as we have a 4 year old, we have been to perth but never brisbane, looking online perth is more expensive and less wages so brisbane wins on this and obviously all the stuff for the kids to do, her only concern is snakes and floods now so looking for an area which may not be at risk as such, also an area which is low crime, good schools, nice families, we have been looking at pimpama, helensvale, mount cotton, also what hospitals are good around the area for intensive care?

Thanks in advance

Floods shouldn't be a deciding factor re moving as only a small percentage of houses flood, just something to keep in mind when choosing a house.

Just note Pimpama and Helensvale are part of Gold Coast city. Mount Cotton is an outer suburb of Brisbane popular with those who like acreage living. It is a bushy, quiet place with not much around.

Adelaide. As long as you can get a job as well as your OH. Seriously, don't rule it out - in my very humble opinion it beats Brisbane (where I live) and Perth (only visited but v expensive) hands down - It's much cheaper than the other places to live, it has a lovely beach, near to beautiful countryside/wineries - and your OH could probably get a job there quite easily (although you'd have to be advised by nurses in Adelaide). My daughter is training to be a nurse in Brisbane and I do fear for her job opportunities, although she is loving what she is doing - there have been a lot of cuts in Qld Health with experienced people losing their jobs. If I had a choice (and I don't really working in IT), I would have moved to Adelaide

I looked at the flood maps on Brisbane council/Moreton Bay etc websites. That can tell you the flood risks of different suburbs and streets.

There was a recent thread about the nursing redundancies here in Brisbane so might be worth searching for that.

Thanks guys, I think it is definitely just going to be a case of where the jobs are, jobs are quite limited so just have to see what comes up over the next few months and hope for the best, also looking further down the Gold Coast so quite open minded to where we go around that area

In Perth you def. earn more money and the job situation is better but Brisbane is just so much closer to different cities and nice highlights (Gold Coast, Noosa, Byron Bay, Sydney, Nightcap National Park etc.). WA is great for holidays but for living I would always prefer the east coast. Good Luck!

Archived