Swimming in the Sea - PLEASE READ

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

More people die in Australia due to rip currents than they do from shark attacks, bush fires, floods etc. If you have children it may be worth while watching the video below so that you know how to keep safe on those days at the beach.

[video=youtube_share;-hCZuYzNujI]

Growing up on the Gold Coast and surfing from around the age of 12 I tended to be aware of rips and how to survive them if I was ever caught in one. If you are not "surf aware" they are very dangerous and perhaps watching a clip like this should be made compulsory on overseas flights to Australia (or even in non coastal Australian schools for that matter)......if it saves one life then it is well worth it.

Growing up on the Gold Coast and surfing from around the age of 12 I tended to be aware of rips and how to survive them if I was ever caught in one. If you are not "surf aware" they are very dangerous and perhaps watching a clip like this should be made compulsory on overseas flights to Australia (or even in non coastal Australian schools for that matter)......if it saves one life then it is well worth it.

That's an excellent suggestion. I know we average at least one rescue every time we go surfing (usually on unpatrolled beaches).

People just have no idea of how quickly they can get into trouble and its damned dangerous getting them back to shore if they don't speak English and have no idea what your trying to tell them to do so they don't overbalance the board.

A lot of surfers do use rips as they are an easy way to get out past the surf. We always used to ride the rip out and then cut across it to where we would want to be. So if you do get caught, don't panic, follow the guidelines and look out for people around you and call out to them (the English can be very subdued, even when in danger). I've helped people on a couple of occasions. Nothing big, just letting them hold the board and paddling them across to safety. Most surfers will be more than happy to help out. My dad and brother were caught in a rip when we first arrived in Oz many years ago. A young surfer saved them, and they didn't even get the chance to thank him properly as he paddled straight back out again.

Rip tides have always worried me. My kids are avid watchers of 'Bondi Rescue'. On almost every episode there's someone caught in a rip and it's nearly always a tourist. When we move over this year what would you suggest for us to get some practical advice, would a surf club be a good idea?

I'm not a big fan of the sea tbh. Only paddle lol but the kids love the water. They both have swimming lessons as I feel being a strong swimmer is important. Awareness and common sense is also important and I see so many people getting into trouble through ignorance and lack of knowledge. Thanks for the post, was interesting xx

Rip tides have always worried me. My kids are avid watchers of 'Bondi Rescue'. On almost every episode there's someone caught in a rip and it's nearly always a tourist. When we move over this year what would you suggest for us to get some practical advice, would a surf club be a good idea?

Not sure where you are moving to but take them along to Nippers - they are attached to Surf Lifesaving Clubs. They will learn all the skills they need.

This link tells you about them.

http://sls.com.au/nippers

this is great, thanks for sharing!

the aussie sea is quite a challenge - although i think of myself as quite a good swimmer (in the mediterranean sea haha), the current and the waves in Oz are just mad, it carried me way beyond that designated area without me even noticing.

:biglaugh:

This news item regarding a British tourist who drowned at the beach yesterday is very relevant to this thread. Very sad but not uncommon.

British man dies at Burrill Beach while trying to rescue sons

Updated Fri 10 Jan 2014, 8:18pm AEDT

A British tourist has died while attempting to rescue his two sons at a beach in southern New South Wales.

The 46-year-old man was in the surf with his sons at Burrill Beach, near Ulladulla, when they appeared to get caught in a rip around noon today.

The man went to their aid, but also got caught in a rip and suffered a cardiac arrest while in the water.

The Milton Ulladulla Times reports that beachgoers rescued the boys and then returned to help the father, but found him floating face-down.

The man was pulled from the water and paramedics performed CPR.

However, he was pronounced dead on arrival at the Milton-Ulladulla Hospital.

It is the second death at the beach within a month, after a Filipino national drowned during December, according to the Times.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-10/man-dies-trying-to-rescue-sons-from-rip/5194968?section=act

Archived