Medicare, can it save the NHS?

The Fisheys

Here in Australia, it's pretty easy to get to see your GP. You pay a nominal fee of I think $75 or so, and Medicare puts about $35 straight back in your bank.

I get upset reading these horror stories of people waiting nearly a fortnight in the UK to see a GP, just wonder if you think a nominal charge like this would help.

I don't think $40 is a nominal charge. There are people here in Perth who cannot afford to pay $75 to go to the doctor. There are not lengthy waiting times to see a doctor in all parts of the UK. I would hate to see a charge being brought in there. Access to medical treatment should be available for all - not just those that can afford it.

Guest The Pom Queen
I don't think $40 is a nominal charge. There are people here in Perth who cannot afford to pay $75 to go to the doctor. There are not lengthy waiting times to see a doctor in all parts of the UK. I would hate to see a charge being brought in there. Access to medical treatment should be available for all - not just those that can afford it.

Agree. Although if the Dr could use his discretion and bulk bill those who can't afford it then it may work. I know my GP is not a bulk billing one however I have never had to pay as he just bulk bills me, mind you he could probably make a living just out of me pmsl

I think the waiting times for people are when they insist that they want to see a specific doc and think that is the same at any medical clinic everywhere. I pay $55.00 to see the doc and do not have a problem with it, if I did I would go to one of the bulk billing clinics and see anyone. However I believe that the service I get is very good and I am not a doctor hogger so only go when I really have to. If I see my doc twice in a week she will bulk bill me the second time. We get what we pay for in all things. I do not believe its a right for us to have free health care unless we are prepared to pay for it in other ways. Its just not free why can people not see that.

I don't have a problem seeing the gp in the UK. But charging for use and then refunding would help people appreciate that it does cost money. It would also cut out those who aren't entitled.

I for see the UK moving towards a medicare type service if the Tories get a second term.

I thought id read something about this yesterday so went back for a look and below is the link. It seems they are thinking of introducing a paying system at some point in the future -

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/migrants-will-haveto-pay-at-ae--and-all-patients-will-have-to-prove-they-are-not-foreigners-to-get-treatment-free-on-the-nhs-9029586.html

Cal x

Here in Australia, it's pretty easy to get to see your GP. You pay a nominal fee of I think $75 or so, and Medicare puts about $35 straight back in your bank.

I get upset reading these horror stories of people waiting nearly a fortnight in the UK to see a GP, just wonder if you think a nominal charge like this would help.

While maybe $75 doesn't sound a lot it is with regular visits and few now bulk bill. I certainly would not say the medical system in Australia is so great. Folk are increasingly pushed into the private system to get anything done when it comes to surgery. The waiting period seems ever longer.

Must say I never had any trouble seeing my doctor in London. Although I cannot vouch for how it is in more recent times.

I visited a doctor though in Germany last year and got seeing to for free immediately. Only had to pay medications.

Guest Ptp113

Can get in to see my GP whenever I want, X-Rays without a booking at a clinic even on weekends, free hospital and ambulance etc etc. Works for us

Archived