Is WDU your guilty pleasure too?

Nikey

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havnt watched today's episode yet. Must say I thought the young lady on yesterday's programme was lovely, they seemed like a lovely couple. I went on the website and they chose to stay in the UK after all so they could be near family, good decision I think considering how emotional she was. Very bubbly girl I thought, and I liked when she said how when the sun's shining you always feel better, I agree with this, I always feel better when the weather's lively and I think you can take the kids out more too, doesn't cost anything, picnic, towels, down the park, beach whatever. The couple they met up with were the family who'd made the move to Christies beach from the previous series, I really enjoyed that episode too and they seem to have a good positive outlook, with a positive outcome too. Love it when it works out xx

As per the other WDU thread, we applied for this series and very nearly got on it (got down to the final few etc) I seemed worth while applying. We went on a recce late last year and did as much looking and investigating as we could in a 12 day trip. Of course you cannot make a full judgement on such a short trip - but surely you get an idea?? Ours come out positive.

What we liked about yesterdays episode was that they were in Adelaide where we are intending on, they looked at areas we are looking at (Mount Barker) and did some of the things we did on our trip too.

At the end of the day they are making daytime a TV programme, so everything should be taken with even a slight pinch of salt for both those watching and participating. But it does give good ideas and guidance... and yes, it is my guilty pleasure.

The irony is that is was my mum who told me to watch it a few years ago, and now she is one of the ones most anti us even considering making the move.

what a lovely episode , so nice to see her son flourish and be so happy amoungst all the oz wildlife!

I agree, almost emotional myself watching him, what a sweet young lad. I felt the same when I watched Cal n Gary (who I now know as calNgary off PIO) try it out and their young lad came out with something like "I love it me, cos I'm an outside boy me"... Something that wouldn't tweak everyone's heart but I just saw the innocence in it and it warmed me cockles, so canny, the kids just loved the natural beauty of it all and so glad to be able to enjoy it. Hope the mother on today's episode manages to find a job that doesn't necessarily mean longer hours...I did squirm when the potential employers said "we wouldn't expect you to take work home with you...." and I just thought, yeah, not going to say you would though realistically are you, I'm sure any UK employer would say the same but doesn't usually work out that way once your feet are planted under that desk. Good luck to them xx

Edited by jodipodi

I used to live near Mt Barker!As I always think...."If they showed the equivalent in Oz, like "Escape to the Country",as a move to the UK type show,would'nt it make you cringe if you knew what the truth was?:laugh:

Lol Melza...can you imagine the Ozzies making a programme about a new life in another country.....it would be banned immediately x

Lol Melza...can you imagine the Ozzies making a programme about a new life in another country.....it would be banned immediately x

:laugh:Well as much as I love both countries,jeez sometimes that show really does make me cringe!Its like when the guy goes for a "pretend"job?Notice how they say "You COULD be earning blah blah blah"Do the "employers"get paid to be featured on the show???Its abit defferent when you actually emigrate and you're up against x amount of other potential employee's for the same job right?The show gives the impression everyone has fantastic well paid jobs,live in Mc Mansions near the beach,and life there is always all warm and fuzzy!:laugh:

Now now gazza just because you failed to settle doesn't mean you have to make it your life's quest to try and trash everyone else's hopes and dreams.

That is twice now that you have posted that assumption directed at me in relation to my return back to the UK, the first time I chose to ignore it putting it down to your ignorance to the full facts but Now I feel the need to correct you.

Baz you are very wrong in your accusation. I CHOSE not to settle in Australia it was my choice, one that I could make and fortunately I was able to repatriate my family...........big difference than stating to someone, that they failed. Can I assume that you failed to settle in another country therefore failed to fit into that countries culture, or did you choose to settle in Australia?

I have No intentions to trash anyone's dreams because like myself, other people choose to go to Oz, unfortunately these programs need to be a lot more factual so viewers get a true and honest unbiased outlook at Australia, some people take these sorts of programs as gospel and sell and invest everything to migrate to find out that the reality isn't like the tv shows.

Edited by garyupnorth

They do..take theses things as gospel that is.....unfortunately...and to me if you do that..take a programme like that as gospel and attempt to build a life based on that alone, you are a fool.

I hope that people are intelligent enough to use their own noggin aswell.

Love it love it love it!! It's great, look forward to it every year. Enjoy watching people seeing it all with fresh new eyes.

The revisited ones are better, although the original episode is the first 3/4 of the program.

Will watch it on iplayer later.

Yes I love 'revisited' too, love seeing how it pans out x

I used to live near Mt Barker!As I always think...."If they showed the equivalent in Oz, like "Escape to the Country",as a move to the UK type show,would'nt it make you cringe if you knew what the truth was?:laugh:

There kind of is - House Hunters International which airs on Travel Channel has featured several Aussie couples moving to England (and other parts of the world)

But yes - imagine the reverse.... "Wanted in UK" (a vision of Nigel Farage comes into my head..)

We visited Jersey earlier this year for the first time.

I have to say, it was not at all what I expected. It was FAR FAR BETTER. We absolutely loved the place.

Yes the beaches are beautiful and the country pubs were just gorgeous. In fact, we said at the time "yes, we could live here" lol. I think the authorities in Jersey are very particular who they let in though, anyone who lives there is very lucky indeed IMO

Almost seems a shame that folk want to give that up for the hope of a better life in OZ.

They do..take theses things as gospel that is.....unfortunately...and to me if you do that..take a programme like that as gospel and attempt to build a life based on that alone, you are a fool.

I hope that people are intelligent enough to use their own noggin aswell.

Most consider themselves to be more intelligent than to fall for such outrageous self promotion or propaganda, but it works like advertising. Punters tend to be inadvertently sucked in. Shown during the worst of a British winter those apparent habitual blue skies suggest a care free lifestyle away from stress and care. I mean nothing looks so bad in the sunshine right? mmm....if only.

Although I did clock a report on Aussies living in Bali during their sunset years a few months back. Clearly stated life was better for those on pensions than remaining in Australia.

May well be a case of Australia attempting to entice limited consumers away of course, leaving the young and wealthy with loot to burn and perhaps not so wise to continue the binge on consumption.

Or if your up for a laugh and want to view Aussie wild life check out some of the Bogan comedies on tv in recent times. Swift and Shift Couriers or Pizza Boys along with a host of others, with barely a cute furry animal in sight.

WDU. Probably goes towards the contribution of a number of disgruntled Poms once touching base here. Although many may be aware it's a fabrication, many still want to believe..

Forgot to mention of course the infamous Ja'mie, Public School Girl. With luck your daughters will flourish in their education like wise in OZ. Parents in this show come from South Africa.

Also, is there an oz version of "ladette to lady" or am I just remembering an aussie girl on the uk one?

Forgot to mention of course the infamous Ja'mie, Public School Girl. With luck your daughters will flourish in their education like wise in OZ. Parents in this show come from South Africa.

WDU is a train wreck for anyone moving to Aus and believes ANY of the rubbish they show on the programme. Totally unrealistic clap trap.

My advice would be to watch it to get a feel for the areas and houses but remember prices change and the houses very rarely are represented truthfully on the shows.

You don't really know what it's like until you live here on terms of jobs, houses, areas and lifestyle. As long as you are realistic you won't be disappointed.

Guest Guest 47403
That is twice now that you have posted that assumption directed at me in relation to my return back to the UK, the first time I chose to ignore it putting it down to your ignorance to the full facts but Now I feel the need to correct you.

Baz you are very wrong in your accusation. I CHOSE not to settle in Australia it was my choice, one that I could make and fortunately I was able to repatriate my family...........big difference than stating to someone, that they failed. Can I assume that you failed to settle in another country therefore failed to fit into that countries culture, or did you choose to settle in Australia?

I have No intentions to trash anyone's dreams because like myself, other people choose to go to Oz, unfortunately these programs need to be a lot more factual so viewers get a true and honest unbiased outlook at Australia, some people take these sorts of programs as gospel and sell and invest everything to migrate to find out that the reality isn't like the tv shows.

LOL OK you CHOSE not to settle, the thing is it's a like a little pattern with some returnees, they fail to settle then just hang around to trash Oz...........time will tell eh :wink:

Just watched Mondays episode,mainly because I have lived in Mt Barker.Please correct me if I'm wrong,but when you move to Oz,there must be some kind of magical time line you cross when flying to Oz because most people suddenly get more family time???So does Oz have 36 hrs in a day as opposed to 24?:laugh:Give me a break people!This couple look like they have put themselves into the deep end financially in the UK.A young couple,first house,a semi,and they wonder why they dont apparently have any spare time???The lady mentioned they dont even have time to watch a movie together?????Ridiculous!No one I know works so much in the UK they cant watch a movie!So where is all this spare time coming from?S*** I'll move back to Oz and looks like I'll automatically gain extra hours in a day!:laugh: