Construction workers, Management or Tradesman through out.

Fryertuck

Well some will see from earlier post were are returning home, so an insight to our experience on searching for construction work.

We came to Brisbane, Im a trained/certified Project manager, I worked on the London Olympics, German government buildings, train stations, golf courses and hotels, Tower blocks etc, I've been in construction all my life from 15, Im also a apprentice trained Stucco craftsman by trade, I believe I have reasonable experience at 23 years. I came to Brissy to be a manager and work my way back up the ladder, beginning at any level i was prepared to enter the market place and its dead, totally dead. Any how to enter at site manager level you need a license 'Builder license" or "Small developer license" or high rise license, you get the idea every level of site management needs a license, my PMI certificates do not matter. BE WARNED when you land in Queensland no matter where you've worked, what you've done or how you've done it, any certificate will not be recognised you will have to be certified in Queensland before you do any work over $3:300 dollars, you can do handyman work up to $3:300 but nothing else, yo may seem $3;300 is ok, but this must included GST, materials and when you consider the cost of materials its not a great deal with the cost of living, also every person you work for will ask for a QBSA number, if you don't have one look out, every one pulls a fast one and uses that to get you on any fault, whether it be a fault or not, they will use that against you, you MUST HAVE A Signed contract before you do any work of any nature, otherwise if they report you, its a $800 dollar fine, if they complain to any authority, your done, you have to be so careful before you pull a nail.

So to be registered, to be licensed, you must get exactly that. You must join the Master builders organisation, you must get skill asserted and qualified which costs around $1800 including GST, you must join the Master builder $550 plus GST, the whole process takes around 10 Weeks, then you must go down the QBSA route to get the certificate which costs around $1200 and 6-8 weeks wait and assessment time.

My trade certification is "Stucco craftsman", I can plaster Internals / Externals rendering etc, I can drywall or dry lining (UK), Set cornices/coving, Tile & Waterproof using tanking and sealant systems, now in Queensland that equals 4 licenses at over $3,500 a license at around 14-16 weeks a license you can do 2 license together, you must provide 4 years back experience, you have to fill out endless paperwork, past references, photos all that will be crossed checked and be working for a site assessment at the time of assessment, if you thinking getting into australia was differ cult, wait till you enter this process.

You can not use you entry visa paperwork into Australia as a statement of works or experience, I have been skills assessed to get my PR 176 visa, they are not interested in any of that paperwork lodged at visa stage, they will say as they said to me " That could be any ones paperwork and certificates, I have a certification for working in Germany on KNAUF & WEBER render systems there not interested, I have certification for working with DUNLOP and ZYPEX waterproofing system, not interested, I've got a HANDWERKSKAMMER CARD certificate, for trade master to work in Germany, they are interested in any past experience, certification or qualification, you have to lodge a totally new format of paperwork, they do not or will not entertain any form of European or UK certification, they have to witness it first hand with 4 years past experience, if you try to short cut it they knock you back, back to start the whole process again, new fees.

This is not a winging Pom, this is posted for the interest of Construction management & workers coming to QUEENSLAND, you will face and have to kick down a lot of doors to be able to work for yourself or get a job here its a nightmare, its as if they don't want skills people to enter the construction industry, be prepared for a hard slog to get the paperwork to get a license to operate, otherwise its $28-$35 dollars an hour at very best and treated like a dog, good luck to all those who try. They say in AUSTRALIA there is a lot of work for trades persons, well there isn't, and what there is, is for QUEENSLANDERS around Brisbane, the reason there is a lack of tradesman is because the doors are locked to outsiders wanting to give it ago, good luck to all those who try, every City, Place or Town has nepotisum around but Brisbane has a check to call itself a CBD, it really is a small town so be prepared for he said, she said, oh bollocks not again.

If you read my earlier posts you'll see where on our way home, its much the same with HR work, my wife has all the digits, letters after her name, after working for a finance company in London, we took 8 months getting her certificated to Australian standards here in Brisbane at an expense of $800 dollars, still she searches for work, WELL NOT ANY MORE, as I said this is to help those coming, I've tried to get on the bottom rung of the ladder as has my wife to no avail, good luck to all those who have tried, we've given it 19 months now, business is closed now until MARCH 2014 after the holidays, who ever fills our space, I wish you the best of luck..BUT please bear in mind we jointly wrote over 280 covering letters to get jobs over 18 months and got 1 interview each to be turned down for not having Queensland experience,What a beautiful place it is, we will miss it, but for professional reasons we have to go back to what we know with, we tried to live the dream, we tried very hard, in-fact we slagged our guts out, we hold our heads up high with no regrets good luck with your dreams, at least we tried……….

Regards FT.

Well some will see from earlier post were are returning home, so an insight to our experience on searching for construction work.

We came to Brisbane, Im a trained/certified Project manager, I worked on the London Olympics, German government buildings, train stations, golf courses and hotels, Tower blocks etc, I've been in construction all my life from 15, Im also a apprentice trained Stucco craftsman by trade, I believe I have reasonable experience at 23 years. I came to Brissy to be a manager and work my way back up the ladder, beginning at any level i was prepared to enter the market place and its dead, totally dead. Any how to enter at site manager level you need a license 'Builder license" or "Small developer license" or high rise license, you get the idea every level of site management needs a license, my PMI certificates do not matter. BE WARNED when you land in Queensland no matter where you've worked, what you've done or how you've done it, any certificate will not be recognised you will have to be certified in Queensland before you do any work over $3:300 dollars, you can do handyman work up to $3:300 but nothing else, yo may seem $3;300 is ok, but this must included GST, materials and when you consider the cost of materials its not a great deal with the cost of living, also every person you work for will ask for a QBSA number, if you don't have one look out, every one pulls a fast one and uses that to get you on any fault, whether it be a fault or not, they will use that against you, you MUST HAVE A Signed contract before you do any work of any nature, otherwise if they report you, its a $800 dollar fine, if they complain to any authority, your done, you have to be so careful before you pull a nail.

So to be registered, to be licensed, you must get exactly that. You must join the Master builders organisation, you must get skill asserted and qualified which costs around $1800 including GST, you must join the Master builder $550 plus GST, the whole process takes around 10 Weeks, then you must go down the QBSA route to get the certificate which costs around $1200 and 6-8 weeks wait and assessment time.

My trade certification is "Stucco craftsman", I can plaster Internals / Externals rendering etc, I can drywall or dry lining (UK), Set cornices/coving, Tile & Waterproof using tanking and sealant systems, now in Queensland that equals 4 licenses at over $3,500 a license at around 14-16 weeks a license you can do 2 license together, you must provide 4 years back experience, you have to fill out endless paperwork, past references, photos all that will be crossed checked and be working for a site assessment at the time of assessment, if you thinking getting into australia was differ cult, wait till you enter this process.

You can not use you entry visa paperwork into Australia as a statement of works or experience, I have been skills assessed to get my PR 176 visa, they are not interested in any of that paperwork lodged at visa stage, they will say as they said to me " That could be any ones paperwork and certificates, I have a certification for working in Germany on KNAUF & WEBER render systems there not interested, I have certification for working with DUNLOP and ZYPEX waterproofing system, not interested, I've got a HANDWERKSKAMMER CARD certificate, for trade master to work in Germany, they are interested in any past experience, certification or qualification, you have to lodge a totally new format of paperwork, they do not or will not entertain any form of European or UK certification, they have to witness it first hand with 4 years past experience, if you try to short cut it they knock you back, back to start the whole process again, new fees.

This is not a winging Pom, this is posted for the interest of Construction management & workers coming to QUEENSLAND, you will face and have to kick down a lot of doors to be able to work for yourself or get a job here its a nightmare, its as if they don't want skills people to enter the construction industry, be prepared for a hard slog to get the paperwork to get a license to operate, otherwise its $28-$35 dollars an hour at very best and treated like a dog, good luck to all those who try. They say in AUSTRALIA there is a lot of work for trades persons, well there isn't, and what there is, is for QUEENSLANDERS around Brisbane, the reason there is a lack of tradesman is because the doors are locked to outsiders wanting to give it ago, good luck to all those who try, every City, Place or Town has nepotisum around but Brisbane has a check to call itself a CBD, it really is a small town so be prepared for he said, she said, oh bollocks not again.

If you read my earlier posts you'll see where on our way home, its much the same with HR work, my wife has all the digits, letters after her name, after working for a finance company in London, we took 8 months getting her certificated to Australian standards here in Brisbane at an expense of $800 dollars, still she searches for work, WELL NOT ANY MORE, as I said this is to help those coming, I've tried to get on the bottom rung of the ladder as has my wife to no avail, good luck to all those who have tried, we've given it 19 months now, business is closed now until MARCH 2014 after the holidays, who ever fills our space, I wish you the best of luck..BUT please bear in mind we jointly wrote over 280 covering letters to get jobs over 18 months and got 1 interview each to be turned down for not having Queensland experience,What a beautiful place it is, we will miss it, but for professional reasons we have to go back to what we know with, we tried to live the dream, we tried very hard, in-fact we slagged our guts out, we hold our heads up high with no regrets good luck with your dreams, at least we tried……….

Regards FT.

Hi

just beginning our dream move, coming across the same pattern as yourselves. Have run our own successful refurbishment(commercial) company for years, but no luck on the job front! Good luck with the move back!

To be honest I have found things in sydney very different , I am a fully endentured time served carpenter and joiner from uk , with city and guilds craft a.nd advanced craft certificates . I have started as a carpenter on all jobs since we came out in 2010 and within 3 months been promoted to a site manager with the 3 company's I have worked for, at my current company I am the project manager I am going through the process of obtaining my builders liecence with the master builders this is costing $5500. .

Think things are dependent where you are trying to get work

Unfortunately when the market is fairly quiet companies will naturally go for the Construction Manager with several years local experience. It'd be the same back in the UK if an Aussie Construction Manager was fresh on the scene over there. It makes sense for the company. Sorry it didn't work out for you though.

Hi FT,please don't take this as a go at you,its not!You mentioned all the paperwork you needed,and your wives quals.Did you research before you decided to make the move?I mean research all the paperwork and so forth?Did you try looking at other work completely different to what you're used to?Just trying to gain more info for the sake of other perspective immigrants.Best of luck hon for your return.The UK is'nt such a bad place!Its buzzing where I live atm with Xmas festivities!

Melzo, yes we did research it, it's more the process and ignorance to lack of understanding the bricks and mortar are used worldwide, the build process is the same, the same as HR it's the same process yet Queensland seems to think it's on planet mars,

rallyman, thanks I did only say Brisbane, or Queensland, all other states have different rules and regs I was on pointing QLD only but thanks, the biggest problem we haven't been given a chance to prove the skill base, very much union based as well, we know that as well but I don't want to go there...

You are not alone Fryertuck

I have exactly same experience and I can tell everyone this is a migration scam what Australia is doing. Australia lures migrants from the UK how beautiful is, better chances, cheaper cost of living, better lifestyle, etc, so I did all paperwork and migrated there with PR visa in my passport. All i found are ridiculous lies, and scams, pulling money out of migrant pocket for endless licenses, certificates, accreditations, etc . Having occupation in "high demand" I could not find a job, sent hundreds of CV, walking from door to door I was not able to find a job!!!!! I warn other migrants from the UK, whinging too much about the UK how bad is, I learn something in Australia, I mean I respected UK much more for jbb opportunities it creates. 3 years of my life was devastated in Australia, I did local trainings, courses, licenses, certificates, everything what was expected from me, and after 3 wasted years with bunch of Australian licenses in hand, local work experience I still had problems to find a job!!!!Then I understood this is a migration scam, all rubbish "Australia needs your skills" "skills shortage", all rubbish, scam to pull money out of migrant's pocket. This country has nothing to offer, except scam and lures migrants. Now we have financial crisis in the UK, after my return to the UK, I sent only a couple of CVs and found a job!!!!! in perfect Australia within 3 years I sent hundreds, perhaps thousand CVs, and had problems to find anything, and Australia says needs skilled labour, and lures migrants to come. All is a migration scam. I saw too many skilled migrants in Australia, working below qualifications, in low paid jobs, where their skills are just wasted to believe Australia needs any skilled labour, all what I found Australia needs migrants' money to push own economy, all schools, training centres, certifications, all is a scam to pull money out of migrant's pocket

Dunno, Pabs, there are threads on here about WA, SA, Tas and ACT also being very hard to break into and I'm guessing NSW and Vic won't be far behind.

Mmmmm maybe Quoll,might just be my imagination,just seems to be Queensland more than other states(to me anyway),i know S.A isnt great right now either,i was speaking to somebody there the other week,W.A seems to have plenty of bricklaying work from mates of mates who have recently gone over,Tas traditionally hasnt always been great for work from what i read on here.

Was never going to carry on booming over there i dont suppose

FT sorry it's not worked out for you, speaking with some if the oz guys they have said its a closed shop up there it's all about who you know not what you know, looking back how unions behaved in the uk back in the 70's and early 80's you would think that people would be aware of damaged that can be done,

did you not think about giving it ago some where else like sydney ?

all the best .

• 2 weeks later...

We've tried every state to get work, but nothing in our professions, I wish everyone the best of luck in Queensland. Unions have a major say in Oz, some sites here in the last week shout because of labour fees, not returning to work for a month, but hey doesn't concern me now, not bitter, not twisted just a realisation that Queensland wasn't for us...

Archived