Shopping @ Coles: Some current prices $$$

Jaybay

I'm really fussy and we buy masses of stuff from Aldi.

All cleaning products, milk, cream, eggs, rice, pasta (organic range), tinned stuff (tomatoes, tomato paste, tuna, lentils), biscuits, bread, ice cream, mayo, cheese, meat..

Their range has increased a lot since they first opened here and it's pretty good nowadays. In the early days it was rather basic but not any longer. They currently have some great-looking Christmas stuff - cakes, puddings, mince pies, special cheeses and the like. You can even get potatoes in goose fat - first time I've seen that anywhere in Australia. Their biscuits and chocolate are excellent and usually imported from Europe.

I like the Castello Danish Blue cheese, Aldi do their own version which is identical in every way except the price. Same with Guylian Shell chocolates - I can't tell the difference between the extortionately-priced Guylian and the cheap Aldi version.

I also don't buy their vegetables but for practically everything else, I do.

Alas seeing as it will be SA that we will be headed to, if all goes to plan and the stars align with the moon etc, there is no Aldi there - just Woolworths and Coles.

I did have to laugh about the Heston Blementhial/Waitrose Orange Christmas Puddings that Coles imported too - that were all sold out by the end of October. Doh!

Woolies is better than Coles. IGA is too expensive here. Although I would defo shop at Aldi if we had them here. We used to shop at Aldi in the UK, easily the best supermarket there. You do get Hyacinth Buckets who wouldn't step through their door, my Mum is one, but once you do, their stuff is great.

Asda is the worst, it's pants.

Alas seeing as it will be SA that we will be headed to, if all goes to plan and the stars align with the moon etc, there is no Aldi there - just Woolworths and Coles.

I did have to laugh about the Heston Blementhial/Waitrose Orange Christmas Puddings that Coles imported too - that were all sold out by the end of October. Doh!

Foodland is SA owned (that is their selling point). I've found their prices to be decent. IGA also but we don't have one near us so don't really stop in them much.

Also I love the Central Market in town and happily shop there. Depending on the time you go in, you can get really good deals on them selling stuff off before they close for their weekend. And I find the variety there all under one roof wonderful. Everything from Italian deli to amazing cheese, artisan bread to fresh sliced white loaves. Meats, fish, Moroccan spices, coffee, fruit and veg, delis, loads. Sometimes I find things are more at the market but generally they compete well and are often cheaper (and better quality).

Also shopping at individual stores rather than supermarkets pays off. I found a good butchers near us, better quality meat then the supermarkets and decent prices also. Same for fruit and veg. Walk the extra few minutes to the one up the street but they are the best one around and also compete price wise.

IIRC Aldi is coming to SA (am sure I read it somewhere online) but no idea when.

I guess you need to use the prices as an expensive guide as Coles and Woolworths do have different prices depending on what competition is around the store and how close it is to the store. For example Coles next to Dandenong Market has great prices. Woolworths in Frankston is right next door to Aldi and also next door to an excellent large Vegetable shop so tends to have more specials.

We have competition where I live because Coles Woolworths Aldi and IGA are very close together, so we can just pop into each one very easily for the specials.

The one thing I do like in Aus is that we actually can shop if we want we are not tied to a supermarket down the road.

Coles $1 bread is my families favourite LOL, they hate all the other stores $1 bread, but LOVE Coles...

They prefer it over the bakery bread!!

Hi All,

Bread starting from $1, up to $4 or $5, depending. The really cheap stuff is awful, so average around $3 for a half decent loaf

From Catherine :biggrin:

Really? I find Aldi has BETTER quality than the supermarkets, their stuff is so much nicer and nothing at all compared to smart range?

My family prefer Aldi, its a little way away than ther other supermarkets, so I make special trips to stock up from there as the quality is so good?

We only buy meat from the organic butchers and the fruit and veg from the organic supplier, but most other stuff, we prefer Aldi :)

I dont know why you say most people! No one I knew when I lived in Melbourne got their whole shopping there. Maybe the odd thing, and it was good for their non food specials but I definately wouldnt do my full shopping there. It is like a Smart Price range in the other supermarkets. So I think its the other way round. I would rather pay a few cents dearer for quality,

We only get meat from the butchers :)

The only meat we ever buy in the supermarket very rarely, is the organic range if I have run out as we co op buy in bulk or fresh meat for the dog, although usually get that from the butchers too :)

It's that pommy obsession with supercraps on display again. Not one mention of a proper butchers or bakers or farmers market with QUALITY products. Just the cheapest shite money can buy. Not for this family that's for sure..........

Costco has just opened their second store in Melbourne - there is one in Docklands (city) and one in Ringwood (eastern Melbourne). There are heaps of Aldi stores nearly in every suburb now and also Coles (which is being run by the Brits at the moment) are changing some of their stores to accommodate homewares (the 24 hr Burwood Kmart complex Coles has some including clothes). We have much more choice now that 20 years ago, I shop at Aldi then go next door to Safeway at Forest Hill. No dramas. Also there are farmer's markets for speciality items - I especially love the farmer's markets which have popped up in some suburbs in recent years.

Costco has just opened their second store in Melbourne - there is one in Docklands (city) and one in Ringwood (eastern Melbourne). There are heaps of Aldi stores nearly in every suburb now and also Coles (which is being run by the Brits at the moment) are changing some of their stores to accommodate homewares (the 24 hr Burwood Kmart complex Coles has some including clothes). We have much more choice now that 20 years ago, I shop at Aldi then go next door to Safeway at Forest Hill. No dramas. Also there are farmer's markets for speciality items - I especially love the farmer's markets which have popped up in some suburbs in recent years.

do you think people will be still going to supermarkets (bricks & mortar) in 5 years?

Bought a kilo of bananas for 20 pence in m&s on Friday. They were ripe but not over ripe. Would have bought more but I don't like them that much. Did a quick run round the store and picked up some lovely cheap stuff. The fig and hazelnut bread was lovely. Defo go to m&s on a Friday at 9 pm.

Heston Blumenthal - figgy pudding only $25 at Coles!!

I buy all fruit & veg & some meat from our excellent local market. Other items at ALDI - backed up by Coles & Woolies as required. Farmers markets all over Brissy - once you shop in one it's very hard to go back to supermarket prices

Supercraps are OK for the lazy but the quality and organic produce in quantity just isn't there. I guess most people have different priorities than food quality?

Archived