Yorkshire Dales

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Damn just watched a programme on the Dales and now I've got the itch to go back home. I remember walking up the cobbled streets in the snow. The Grassington Dickensian, snow on the hills, Christmas carols in the square, stone cottages, roaring log fires, hot chestnuts, Aysgarth Falls, Hawes, Kilnsey, Buckden, Kettlewell, Skipton, oh damn I need to stop it.

I think I still really struggle having Christmas in the sun.

Christmas just ain't Christmas in Australia. I miss the Xmas outdoor markets and stopping by for a glass of mulled wine. The street performers and buskers, the buzz around the city, the snow, George Square in Glasgow being all illuminated with lights and with the outdoor ice rink...... Homesick :frown:

j9bvk6.png

Yes I agree it's not the same, I am going back to Dublin for Christmas and New Year and the things that are happening that my Husbands family are planning is amazing, will let you all know how I feel when I get back although it won't be the same for me as I won't be with my parents and siblings xx

Christmas just ain't Christmas in Australia. I miss the Xmas outdoor markets and stopping by for a glass of mulled wine. The street performers and buskers, the buzz around the city, the snow, George Square in Glasgow being all illuminated with lights and with the outdoor ice rink...... Homesick :frown:

j9bvk6.png

I saw some of markets were there on saturday, didnt get a look. Didnt see any street performers other than one woman who couldnt sing lol.

Christmas isnt even christmas when theres no snow, never mind when the temperature is roasting! I'd probably like a warm christmas just to try it but maybe not a regular thing

Damn just watched a programme on the Dales and now I've got the itch to go back home. I remember walking up the cobbled streets in the snow. The Grassington Dickensian, snow on the hills, Christmas carols in the square, stone cottages, roaring log fires, hot chestnuts, Aysgarth Falls, Hawes, Kilnsey, Buckden, Kettlewell, Skipton, oh damn I need to stop it.

Think I saw the same program and thought thank god I don't have to live there any more. Good job we're not all the same PQ.

I think it one of the things none of us gets used to.

But look at like this. Imagine 7am and trying to get the ice off the windscreen in driving sleet.

having to get up extra early to do that before work, trudging the streets in the sleet snow rain wind and not feeling warm till you've got home and had a bath to thaw out! That was life working in the community as a nurse, won't miss it one bit! Having said that I do love the dales and the Shambles and all the Chrismasy lights, not seen any in Oz yet other than a few in shops!

I think some of it is to do with all the Christmas lights which are there by 3.30 pm in the afternoon because of the short Northern daylight. I must admit I like it when it is superhot on Christmas Day- dip in the pool, lots of oysters and seafood, very relaxed.

Even better that we have no relations here so we don't have to rush off the beach on a perfect day with thoughts of having to take the kids to grannies. I love just being able to do our own thing as a family when we want to do it. call me selfish but it's so relaxing and fun.

coming up to my second Christmas in Oz.

Actually really looking forward to it. Last year, i'd only been here a couple of months and everything was brand new. we had no furniture and it was quite odd being in the heat.

as summer now finally seems to be on the way in Melbourne, its delighful to think that we're heading into Christmas in the warmth - seems like a luxury to have heat at this time of year. if i was in the UK i would be cold and wrapped up for a long winter to come. i can do without it! would rather be on the beach!

Christmas down under has also allowed me to abandon all previous traditions of Christmas and do it my own way. Last year we drank Aussie Champers and ate mousakka for Chistmas dinner! Who knows what we'll try this year....

sorry , but xmas in oz is crap ....it is ....i dont even like the cold or all the BS that goes with xmas over here , but my xmas was seriously poor in oz ....all my aussie mates went to family .......it was shite

sorry , but xmas in oz is crap ....it is ....i dont even like the cold or all the BS that goes with xmas over here , but my xmas was seriously poor in oz ....all my aussie mates went to family .......it was shite

Mine wasn't.yahoo.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived