Another WA shark attack...

WeegieDave

A MAN has been killed in a possible shark attack in the state's South West. Police and St John Ambulance were called to Left-handers beach, near Gracetown, shortly after 9am following reports of a shark attack.

A spokesman for WA Police said officers arrived at the beach, near the carpark at the end of Left Handers Road, to find a man deceased.

He said inquiries were continuing into the circumstances surrounding his death and the report of a shark attack.

The Department of Fisheries has been advised and will also investigate the incident.

The attack comes six weeks after abalone fisherman Greg Pickering survived a shark attack, 180 kms east of Esperance on the state's southern coast.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/man-killed-in-shark-attack-at-lefthanders-beach-near-gracetown/story-fnhocxo3-1226766778852

Guest Guest66881

I keep saying it, go into the lions den and eventually you will be eaten, we live on land they live in the sea - we go in sea they will eat us eventually.

Sorry for the human loss.

How many shark deaths have there been in WA?

October 9, 2013:

A catch-and-kill order issued the day prior for the shark responsible for the attack on Greg Pickering was cancelled after no shark was sighted or caught.

October 8, 2013:

Diver Greg Pickering was attacked by a shark about 180 kilometres east of Esperance. Mr Pickering was bitten on the leg by a shark in 2004.

<iframe id="dcAd-1-4" src="http://ad-apac.doubleclick.net/N6411/adi/onl.wa.news/national/wanews;cat=national;ctype=article;cat1=wanews;pos=3;sz=300x250;tile=4;ord=6.476461E7?" width='300' height='250' scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0"> </iframeApril 2, 2013:

There were fears a shark may have attacked 24-year-old Martin Tann who disappeared from Mullaloo Beach.

January 9, 2013:

The first catch-and-kill order for a shark was made after repeated sightings of a large great white shark along Dunsborough beaches.

January 5, 2013:

A diver was bitten twice on the leg by a hammerhead shark 40 kilometres north of Dampier.

November 27, 2012:

The WA Fisheries Department publicly released guidelines as to the circumstances in which it would kill a shark it believed posed a risk to humans.

August 28, 2012:

Jon Hines, a 34-year-old surfer, survived a shark attack at a popular surf spot at Red Bluff, near Quobba Station, on the WA coast.

July 14, 2012:

Passionate young surfer Ben Linden was killed by a great white shark off Wedge Island, near Lancelin, north of Perth.

June 20, 2012:

Surf ski paddler Martin Kane, in his 50s, was tipped out of his craft by a three-metre shark at Mullaloo beach in Perth's north.

March 31, 2012:

Peter Kurmann, 33, died after an attack while diving off Stratham Beach, between Busselton and Bunbury.

Oct 22, 2011:

George Thomas Wainwright, a 32-year-old man from the US, was killed after being bitten by a great white shark while diving off Rottnest Island.

October 10, 2011:

Bryn Martin, 64, was likely taken by a great white shark after he was last seen about 350 metres from the shore heading out to sea on his daily swim at Cottesloe Beach.

September 4, 2011:

Kyle James Burden, 21, was killed while on his body board at Bunker Bay, near Dunsborough.

October 30, 2010:

A tour guide working for a dolphin encounter company was bitten by a shark near Garden Island.

August 17, 2010:

Nick Edwards died after a shark attacked him while he was surfing near Gracetown.

December 27, 2008:

Fisherman Brian Guest was taken by a great white while snorkelling at Port Kennedy.

July 21, 2007:

A teenage boy was attacked by a shark while snorkelling off Cocos Keeling Islands, about 2750 kilometres north-west of Perth.

May 16, 2007:

A woman was bitten on her calf while carrying her baby in the shallows at Warra Beach, south of Coral Bay, on the north-coast of WA.

January 16, 2006:

A scuba diver was attacked by a shark off a Perth beach as the occupants of a nearby boat tried to warn him about the shark.

October 14, 2005:

A four-metre shark menaced a surfboat and forced swimmers from the water at one of Perth's most popular beaches.

September 24, 2005:

A surfer punched a one-metre shark in the head when it attacked him about 120 metres off Perth's Scarborough Beach.

March 19, 2005:

A luxury boat skipper snorkelling off the West Australian coast was bitten in half near the Abrolhos Islands.

July 11, 2004:

Larrikin surfer Brad Smith, 29, died in a shark attack while surfing a popular reef off Gracetown in WA's Margaret River region.

March 7, 2004:

Professional diver Greg Pickering was bitten on the leg by a shark after trying to help a friend who was being attacked by a 1.5 metre bronze whaler off Cervantes in WA's north.

January 25, 2004:

A diver's legs were mauled by a three-metre shark south of Perth.

January 28, 2002:

A man was mauled by a shark at a river south of Perth, suffering a 15 centimetre wound to his inner thigh, requiring 21 stitches.

February 26, 2001:

A huge great white shark attacked a Perth couple's fishing boat just 200 metres from a popular swimming beach on WA's south-coast.

November 6, 2000:

Businessman and father of three Ken Crew, 49, died after his leg was torn off by what fisheries officers believe was a four-metre great white shark.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/timeline-of-shark-attacks-on-wa-beaches-20081227-75sl.html#ixzz2lQztldFK

Guest Guest66881

First year here we had sharks and jellyfish everywhere, then all those deaths and still happening now, it's a natural environment and in it the shark is king predator, man is but a snack.

Guest The Pom Queen
First year here we had sharks and jellyfish everywhere, then all those deaths and still happening now, it's a natural environment and in it the shark is king predator, man is but a snack.

I'm presuming it doesn't keep people out of the water?

People seem more terrified of crocs than sharks here yet I don't know of any croc attacks on Cairns beaches.

I do go in the water, but only when patrolled and I am lucky the beach where I live gives the best surf very close to the beach. Though I do worry about my wife who is often the only one out swimming a long way from shore. Though normally the surf rescue guys make a point of sending a boat out to check the area when they see her out there.

There are thousands of surfers and divers out there every single day. I've been on the beach a few times here and the beach has been closed due to a shark sighting and the surfers were still out there taking their chances. Personally I don't go out of my depth, swimming for me is in the pool, but I do enjoy a dip in the ocean. I'm also very pleased that there are shark watch helicopters up there.

Guest The Pom Queen
Bryn Martin was my stepdads uncle, that happened when I was over here last time. Tbh if you know there are sharks or other deadly creatures about why go in? I'd only go in if it was safe to but around Cairns it's not so wouldn't dare take a dip.

You can swim in the stinger nets, or go up to Crystal Cascades no crocs there

There are probably a few new arrivals wondering what they have come to. We have had two snake bites in the last month and now sharks.

What people need to remember is the odds of being a shark lunch are more than being struck by lightening.

I don't actually believe that when you look at the shark attack statistics. How many people in WA have been struck by lightningin the last 10 years? :wink:

October 8, 2013:

Diver Greg Pickering was attacked by a shark about 180 kilometres east of Esperance. Mr Pickering was bitten on the leg by a shark in 2004.

March 7, 2004:

Professional diver Greg Pickering was bitten on the leg by a shark after trying to help a friend who was being attacked by a 1.5 metre bronze whaler off Cervantes in WA's north.

Crikey, Greg Pickering is either one lucky (or UNLUCKY) guy! ;-)

I always felt far safer in the sea than on the roads in WA, maybe it didn't help working for the agency that dealt with crash reports! The individual cases of shark attacks are tragic but it's newsworthy because it is rare, about 160 people are likely to die on the roads in WA this year - if that many died of shark attacks it would rarely get reported.

For goodness sake if you live in WA enjoy the ocean!

I'd agree with the last 2 comments.

Every weekend people are killed on the roads in Perth (there have been incidents again this weekend) but everyone still gets in their car.

If the beach and ocean is not your thing, I'd question your motivation in moving to WA. That's the best thing the place has to offer.

I'd agree with the last 2 comments.

Every weekend people are killed on the roads in Perth (there have been incidents again this weekend) but everyone still gets in their car.

If the beach and ocean is not your thing, I'd question your motivation in moving to WA. That's the best thing the place has to offer.

I love the beach, there ain't no sharks on it! Still wouldn't get in the ocean though!

The guy that was taken yesterday worked with my Husband... So sad Chris was such a good bloke.. His girlfriend is distraught... I have banned my husband from surfing today..

On a more technical note the sharks are out in part because of the whale migration, They are hoping for a carcus or two.. Not sure why they havent mentioned this on the news as there are so many whales at the moment..

Also my friend is the chief lifegaurd in Perth and he does shark watch via chopper... He tells us there are sooo many sharks in WA Waters..

The guy that was taken yesterday worked with my Husband... So sad Chris was such a good bloke.. His girlfriend is distraught... I have banned my husband from surfing today..

On a more technical note the sharks are out in part because of the whale migration, They are hoping for a carcus or two.. Not sure why they havent mentioned this on the news as there are so many whales at the moment..

Also my friend is the chief lifegaurd in Perth and he does shark watch via chopper... He tells us there are sooo many sharks in WA Waters..

I reckon they play down the amount of sharks out there as it could affect tourism. Sadly it will only be a matter of time before someone else is ripped open by one in WA.

Incorrect... 9 deaths in the last decade and numerous attacks... Check out the timeline on page 1 of this thread :)

My old neighbour down south was attacked by a shark. He wasn't on the timeline for some reason. He was swimming early one morning when he was attacked. Luckily for him a very brave off duty lifeguard (middle aged lady) swam out and rescued him and saw off the shark! He was lucky to survive, but had a chunk taken out of his leg and couldn't walk for months.

I absolutely love the ocean though and it does not stop me swimming in it. I do however not swim as far out as I would in other waters.

Archived