What not to ship over

george106

Hi all,

we are just 12 days before guys from John Mason come to pack all house up and I am not sure if all items we want to take over are actually allowed.

I have checked the list available on http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:HSm-9qAqb9AJ:www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/travel/moving-emigrating+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a and be honest I am not wiser.

We have few wooden items (shelves, plate cupboard, coat hanger) which I have sanded down to get rid of old varnish as we planned to paint it however we have decided it looks even better untreated. But the question is, if the quarantine department is not going to give us hard time and charge us for unnecessary fumigation or another treatment just because there is not any paint on the surface.

Also I want to take some garage stuff over which include solvent based glue, orbital sander, drill, spanners, trolley jack etc but would they pick those things up (I understand everything needs to be clean especially sander which is covered by dust)?

Thanks

George

If you are having a whole container then just fill it, if you are taking a 3piece suite then that will be on a untreated wood frame, I do not think they concern themselves too much with wooden stuff from the UK, I had a wooden spear from Africa 25 years old, it had a small piece of hide on it, they picked on that and not the wood, cheapest option was to have it destroyed by them for free, they did not pick on anything else whatsoever. Also cannot see dust as a problem, it's more garden dirt they worry about, I painted all my garden tools, left the mower though.

good luck with the move and enjoy!

Not something everyone thinks about is (don't laugh) Christmas decorations, we had some confiscated as wooden or might have cones/berries attached, obviously I am not talking plastic baubles. We had all the wooden items together so easily checked and treated if necessary.

What about food stuff like Batchelors cup a soup, dry pasta, tins etc?

I am going to remove and discard pine cones from Xmas decorations....

Personally I wouldn't put any food in at all, customs are very strict about food stuff. Your choice, but said slightly tongue in cheek, you can buy dried pasta here.

Good luck with your move.

Thanks, regarding the food stuff I just asked as I do not want to throw all food which we won't be able to eat by our departure. Obviously I don't have intention to pack container up with the food but toiletries :D

We just ran the food cupboards down before we left and gave all that was left to family and friends to make use of. Honestly, I'd not bother shipping food, you'll be without it for 3 months or so anyways and will have bought food in the meantime and stocked up your kitchen in Aus.

• 4 weeks later...

You'd be mad to ship food here. Quantine would be all over it like a rash. You can't import anything containing fruit, seeds, dairy or even things which you'd assume are perfectly harmless like added vitamns. As soon as Quantine see anything edible in your packing list they'll pull the whole consignment apart, and you'll have no idea what will and won't infringe their regulations. Leave it all behind.

We brought over our BBQ, bad decision! Took ages to clean, and it cost about $100 to convert it to Australian gas (you should really get a qualified gas person to do this).

New BBQs here are reasonably priced, and there are free BBQs provided in many parks. Unless you have something very special, sell it in the UK, and buy something here.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Might sound mad, having just packed it back up. Will they allow fake Christmas trees, we have a really lovely one, and all the decorations, read earlier post, understand, not to take anything with berries, but is it worth taking Christmas with us?

Thanks

Hi, good luck with the move! We brought our artificial trees and customs didn't even look at them. We also brought decorations but they were all plastic/glass. I used to have some lovely hand painted eggs for the tree and chose to leave those behind to avoid complication/delays.

Can I ask if customs take a disliking to something will they charge you to destroy it? If so what have people been charged for various items?

Dave

Yes they will charge you. A lot.

I recall reading someone got stung for $70 or so for destroying a Christmas decoration. Other people pay to get their things treated instead of destroyed which also costs a chunk.

I've also read of others getting a bigger bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Not ready to pack up yet (not even had our visa yet!) but casting an eye around our home, there are some things which have caught my eye, namely: a large stripped pine wooden dining table with matching chairs (they have straw-type seats); reindeer hide (commercially bought from Nordic Outdoor) and sheepskin rugs, again all commercially bought

Would any of these cause an issue?? Just curious....!! TIA

• 2 weeks later...
Is it best to just buy a new dyson rather than bring our current one ( which is now 5 years old?) or wit till we are there and buy one there?

if you are up to the job of cleaning the roller brushes and washing out the dust container (simple tasks) then bring it. Had no problems getting our one in.

new dyson here will cost 700 bucks or more depending on what you want

just replaced the motor on our one earlier this year. Ironically it came from a company on the Isle of Wight (via ebay) as it was far cheaper than sourcing one here but it's got a new lease of life

if you are up to the job of cleaning the roller brushes and washing out the dust container (simple tasks) then bring it. Had no problems getting our one in.

new dyson here will cost 700 bucks or more depending on what you want

just replaced the motor on our one earlier this year. Ironically it came from a company on the Isle of Wight (via ebay) as it was far cheaper than sourcing one here but it's got a new lease of life

Thanks abz, we had to replace the front head of our one recently as it stopped working!! Will likely buy a new one if we can get at a good cost and take the 'relatively new' head over also for a spare as it's only 3 months old....the cleaning of the dust container would be easy but our builders used it last year and it's never been the same since :)