Cccccold after just moving to Melbourne!!!

SGHJLL

Wow, I really hope it warms up soon (I will be too British and moan about the heat when it gets here, lol!)

We have a quite nice rental house but geeee it really is a shed! It is sooooo cold.

I really haven't got my head around the kids going to school in the morning wearing their shorts and t-shirts when I am wearing my leather boots, coat and scarf!

I really don't understand how people cannot feel the cold. I am from England, I thought we had the colder weather. Something is just not right with this picture. Give me an insulated house pleeeeeease!!! Lucky we brought over lots of heavy duvets.:wacko:

Lol we moved to sydney this year but went to melbourne for the weekend couple of months ago and omg I thought I was going to die of cold..especially at night..thankfully the little motel we stayed at had electric blankets..felt just like being at home in scotland :) I miss that fresh cool (well freeezin!) feeling sometimes...not felt it like that here x

Partly due the the poor construction of houses. No insulation, double glazing etc. just wait until winter kicks in. I visited my mate in Melbourne last August and I could have sworn I was back in Glasgow with the cold and rain.. Lol

Double and triple glazing available

and houses must be insulated to a std mandated by govt legiation. Some older houses might not be but that's up to lazy owners to fix.

Wow, I really hope it warms up soon (I will be too British and moan about the heat when it gets here, lol!)

We have a quite nice rental house but geeee it really is a shed! It is sooooo cold.

I really haven't got my head around the kids going to school in the morning wearing their shorts and t-shirts when I am wearing my leather boots, coat and scarf!

I really don't understand how people cannot feel the cold. I am from England, I thought we had the colder weather. Something is just not right with this picture. Give me an insulated house pleeeeeease!!! Lucky we brought over lots of heavy duvets.:wacko:

doesn't look that cold to me? http://www.weatherzone.com.au/vic/melbourne/melbourne

Partly due the the poor construction of houses. No insulation, double glazing etc. just wait until winter kicks in. I visited my mate in Melbourne last August and I could have sworn I was back in Glasgow with the cold and rain.. Lol

My memories of Melbourne are snow flurries in the suburbs and scraping ice off the windscreen in June/July, mouldy walls and condensation pouring off the inside of the window.

[TABLE=class: wikitable collapsible]

[TR]

[TH=colspan: 14]Climate data for Melbourne[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Month[/TH]

[TH]Jan[/TH]

[TH]Feb[/TH]

[TH]Mar[/TH]

[TH]Apr[/TH]

[TH]May[/TH]

[TH]Jun[/TH]

[TH]Jul[/TH]

[TH]Aug[/TH]

[TH]Sep[/TH]

[TH]Oct[/TH]

[TH]Nov[/TH]

[TH]Dec[/TH]

[TH]Year[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Record high °C (°F)[/TH]

[TD=align: center]45.6

(114.1)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]46.4

(115.5)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]41.7

(107.1)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]34.9

(94.8)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]28.7

(83.7)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]22.4

(72.3)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]23.3

(73.9)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]26.5

(79.7)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]31.4

(88.5)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]36.9

(98.4)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]40.9

(105.6)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]43.7

(110.7)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]46.4

(115.5)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Average high °C (°F)[/TH]

[TD=align: center]25.9

(78.6)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]25.8

(78.4)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]23.9

(75)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]20.3

(68.5)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]16.7

(62.1)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]14.1

(57.4)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]13.5

(56.3)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]15.0

(59)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]17.2

(63)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]19.7

(67.5)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]22.0

(71.6)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]24.2

(75.6)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]19.9

(67.8)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Average low °C (°F)[/TH]

[TD=align: center]14.3

(57.7)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]14.6

(58.3)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]13.2

(55.8)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]10.8

(51.4)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]8.6

(47.5)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]6.9

(44.4)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]6.0

(42.8)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]6.7

(44.1)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]8.0

(46.4)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]9.5

(49.1)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]11.2

(52.2)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]12.9

(55.2)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]10.2

(50.4)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Record low °C (°F)[/TH]

[TD=align: center]5.5

(41.9)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]4.5

(40.1)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2.8

(37)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1.5

(34.7)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]−1.1

(30)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]−2.2

(28)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]−2.8

(27)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]−2.1

(28.2)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]−0.5

(31.1)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]0.1

(32.2)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2.5

(36.5)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]4.4

(39.9)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]−2.8

(27)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Rainfall mm (inches)[/TH]

[TD=align: center]47.3

(1.862)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]48.1

(1.894)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]50.4

(1.984)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]57.3

(2.256)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]56.0

(2.205)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]49.2

(1.937)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]47.6

(1.874)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]50.1

(1.972)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]58.0

(2.283)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]66.2

(2.606)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]60.3

(2.374)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]59.3

(2.335)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]649.6

(25.575)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Avg. rainy days[/TH]

[TD=align: center]8.4[/TD]

[TD=align: center]7.5[/TD]

[TD=align: center]9.4[/TD]

[TD=align: center]11.8[/TD]

[TD=align: center]14.6[/TD]

[TD=align: center]15.4[/TD]

[TD=align: center]16.1[/TD]

[TD=align: center]16.1[/TD]

[TD=align: center]14.9[/TD]

[TD=align: center]14.2[/TD]

[TD=align: center]11.8[/TD]

[TD=align: center]10.4[/TD]

[TD=align: center]150.6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH]Mean monthly sunshine hours[/TH]

[TD=align: center]279.0[/TD]

[TD=align: center]234.9[/TD]

[TD=align: center]210.8[/TD]

[TD=align: center]168.0[/TD]

[TD=align: center]120.9[/TD]

[TD=align: center]108.0[/TD]

[TD=align: center]114.7[/TD]

[TD=align: center]145.7[/TD]

[TD=align: center]171.0[/TD]

[TD=align: center]195.3[/TD]

[TD=align: center]210.0[/TD]

[TD=align: center]232.5[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2,190.8[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

It really isn't that bad.

Guest guest92098

It has been a cooler Spring in Melbourne. Being cold inside your home is hard to get used to!

We moved from our previous rental to a single storey house with good ducted heating and more carpets it made a huge difference. Who'd of thought you'd come to Oz and need an electric blanket!

Its a real shame they don't insulate the houses properly in Melbourne because its certainly needed. I still find the dramatic change in temperature from one day to the next hard to adjust to.

wont be long till we are all moaning about being too hot lol x

im sat here on the couch at the moment, with a quilt over me and a fleece on.

the building standards in victoria are either way too low, or corrupt.

we live in a tent, a 4 year old house in point cook, it looks fab from outside but is extremely poorly built.

the room im in has heavy curtains at either end to block the room off, and a window film taped to the window frame to create an air gap (poor mans double glazing) im still pretty cold. i cant put my feet on the floor, even if they are in my slippers as the cold radiating from the slab is uncomfortable.

pretty much, we live in a good looking slum.

as you may have gussed, we intend to build. i was at the grand designs expo yesterday and was assured not all victorian houses are like this. if you use a small builder, who will have his reputation damaged if he does a bad job you have a better chance of a good house.

dont ever use a huge building co. they will cut every corner except the aesthetics. leaving you with a good looking hugely energy hungry box.

im sorry to say as much as you're cold now, in the summer you will be too hot, and you will have to pay large to cool that box you're renting.

the answer has been around forever, get the building fabric right. insulation and air tightness. that way you will have a comfortable house all year round.

just dont ask an aussie though, they have never known quality, they will just tell you to man up.

i was talking to a guy i work with who had been kept awake by the noise of the rain on his place. he said to me 'wow you pommies must never sleep with all the rain over there' its so sad. he looked at me like i was mad when i told him i only know it's raining when i look out of the window!

poor buggers have never known a real house. and he was a carpenter too!

FFS, I live in Canberra and it gets down to -8c overnight in winter and it just isn't as bad as you make out. Maybe people toughen up after a few years here. But to say an overnight temprature of 12c is cold, is deluded - the UK goes months where it doesn't get that warm in the day (and that's just the summer!).

yes, but when you go inside in the uk you can escape it. here in these houses you cant, unless you want to burn money.

even if you do use the heating systems they are noisy, when you do put them on they wake you up every 15 mins!

we're not used to being cold all the time.

outside air temp is irrelevant, we're talking inside!

yes, but when you go inside in the uk you can escape it. here in these houses you cant, unless you want to burn money.

even if you do use the heating systems they are noisy, when you do put them on they wake you up every 15 mins!

we're not used to being cold all the time.

outside air temp is irrelevant, we're talking inside!

You'll acclimatise. Before you know it 23c is chilly.

My house in Melbourne is fully insulated with ducted heating - that is not noisy! Was never cold inside my house. All my friends houses are the same

thats wonderful news :)

it means there are builders out there who can do it! :)

coming from the uk to a piss poor, negative geared money machine, slung up rental really taints victorian builders.

im so glad to hear they're not all like this :)

can you recommend area's house styles or maybe builders ?

Edited by flybyknight
recommendation bit...

Double and triple glazing available

and houses must be insulated to a std mandated by govt legiation. Some older houses might not be but that's up to lazy owners to fix.

im afraid thats not the case, the houses prove the system is at least flawed. from what i can gather so far the inspectors are now privatised, and as such work for the builders 'if they want to get the next big contract' so you can build a house out of paper and it will pass if you grease the right palms.

i know for sure, i live in one, its new and its poo.

im afraid thats not the case, the houses prove the system is at least flawed. from what i can gather so far the inspectors are now privatised, and as such work for the builders 'if they want to get the next big contract' so you can build a house out of paper and it will pass if you grease the right palms.

i know for sure, i live in one, its new and its poo.

Not in the ACT. If you don't like where you now then move, easy fix.

Edited by sprintman

My girlfriend was moaning it was cold yesterday. It was 18 degrees she would be in shorts out in garden in that sort of weather.

Do ur insulated uk homes keep the heat out as well ? My uk house was unbearably warm if we had three 20 degree days in a row

.. built to keep the heat in. Think would diein melb summer in a house like that.