Am I mad to want to return to the UK?

grizzly111

For some reason I thought you lived in london, must be getting mixed up with someone else. I'm still tempted to book a trip to london this year, would love to squeeze in 2 nights in paris aswell. Shall have to see!

not far from the center....about 25 min drive from the mall.....I thought you was sposed to be going to London earlier in the year?

Paris can be cheap as long as you avoid disneyland.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For some reason I thought you lived in london, must be getting mixed up with someone else. I'm still tempted to book a trip to london this year, would love to squeeze in 2 nights in paris aswell. Shall have to see!

Tracey, google Shearings coach trips. My sis has just booked 3 nights half board in Isle of Wight for £99. She is going with mates for their Christmas do. They are having a 7 day sale at the moment and some great bargains to be had.

Metoo x

Move to Bristol! We're moving back from Perth in March next year and I can't wait. I've lived there all my life in the beautiful West Country of England - love the countryside and being here in Aus I miss it so much! My husband is from Perth, but we met in Bristol. He's happy to go back. Bristol is a great base and a fab city with lots of live music, amazing food and culture. It's not too big and not too small and it's vibrant and characterful - also a good base for traveling to the pretty Wales, Cornwal, Devon, Dorset, Somerset and then up to London and so on. If your heart says go, then go! You can always return.

Move to Bristol! We're moving back from Perth in March next year and I can't wait. I've lived there all my life in the beautiful West Country of England - love the countryside and being here in Aus I miss it so much! My husband is from Perth, but we met in Bristol. He's happy to go back. Bristol is a great base and a fab city with lots of live music, amazing food and culture. It's not too big and not too small and it's vibrant and characterful - also a good base for traveling to the pretty Wales, Cornwal, Devon, Dorset, Somerset and then up to London and so on. If your heart says go, then go! You can always return.

Sounds like your very excited which is good! I'm also moving back in March next year and pretty anxious actually but I think thats normal. This will be my second try now and I don't want it to end up like last time. Being an Aussie it seemed that employers were using the ol' local experience excuse even there!

I've heard so many great reports with regards to Bristol. For some reason never got there. Must rectify that next time there. Sounds a good move though. Good that hubby is not Perth bound.

not far from the center....about 25 min drive from the mall.....I thought you was sposed to be going to London earlier in the year?

Paris can be cheap as long as you avoid disneyland.

I didn't go in the end because of work, I've got a few holidays to take now so could go in November or just wait till I finish up from work. Mum wants me to wait till she can come but who knows when that'll be, she seems to work nearly every weekend!

I've been to disneyland florida so probably wouldn't bother with paris the now. Might look a bit strange anyway me being 23 and without kids lol

No one is crazy returning home to GREAT Britain, yes GREAT because that's what it is, we had been living in QLD and gave it a good two years seeing many states whilst being there but believe me ..... Many a tear has flowed down my cheek at the sheer beauty of our country, where ever you live is not far from anywhere, I'm from the midlands but since being home if we fancy we just get in the car and nip to York for the day or Bristol or London, in fact we 're nipping all over the place. And soaking up life here again, having been blessed with a beautiful summer and watching them playing cricket until nearly 10 pm here in GREAT Britain, yes 10 pm, lol, it's magic, and having banter with friends on picnics and country walks not having to apply deet, lol, cracking jokes, belly roll laughs, the list is endless, having felt like I'd been in a coma for two years but now I'm back, we 're back. The whole family, me hubby and our two girls aged 20 and 17 all together. It took no time at all to get work again, there is always work for those who want it, our tenants looked after our home perfectly, our youngest is doing her 'A' levels now, alls good, alls perfect, life is ace :-)

I'm feeling just the same - I keep thinking it's a honeymoon period and it's going to end but we're into our third month home and still going strong.

I went back to UK for 5 months, to catch up with family, see friends, go on holiday, work.... I think hubby thought it would get my homesickness out of my system.. Not a bar of it! maybe my rose tints couldn't slip 'cos of the excellent weather - but- It's a bloody great country. Back in Brisbane for 4 weeks, nice to catch up with people, the weather's excellent, I've even been approached for some work, but b@gger me, I'm starting to climb the walls already - what do people find to do here? Shopping malls (Yawn! crowded and too expensive), Bush walks (superb, but too remote to do on my own), City $$$ for a coffee break. I miss the sea, the country walks, the pubs, the buzz of Brighton, the excitement of discovering new and different places (too many to do in my lifetime) the thrill and affordability of planning a mini-break, or longer holiday....

I had a week off work a short while ago as a job taking kids on a week long canoe trip fell through so I thought I'd nip down to Tasmania for a few days surfing and fishing. Only wanted a cheap flight and camper hire, I ended up cancelling the time off and going to work instead as it was going to cost $200 less than they were advertising a trip to Rome!!!!

Last year I went home for 6 months and loved every second of being there, seasons, friends, work, being able to run and mountain bike without sweating so much I lok like I'm dying. And the countryside, every bit as stunning as I remember it, so many shades of green you lose count.

But now back on the sunshine coast for rain and flat waves.......... Damn :-(

I went back to UK for 5 months, to catch up with family, see friends, go on holiday, work.... I think hubby thought it would get my homesickness out of my system.. Not a bar of it! maybe my rose tints couldn't slip 'cos of the excellent weather - but- It's a bloody great country. Back in Brisbane for 4 weeks, nice to catch up with people, the weather's excellent, I've even been approached for some work, but b@gger me, I'm starting to climb the walls already - what do people find to do here? Shopping malls (Yawn! crowded and too expensive), Bush walks (superb, but too remote to do on my own), City $$$ for a coffee break. I miss the sea, the country walks, the pubs, the buzz of Brighton, the excitement of discovering new and different places (too many to do in my lifetime) the thrill and affordability of planning a mini-break, or longer holiday....

I miss the beautiful birdsong in England. Also the trees - such variety and lushness of green.

No comparison in my opinion.

I also have come to appreciate how I could walk around without worrying about getting bitten by anything!!! In Australia during summer (Esp. in the evenings/night) I don't go out for a walk without wearing mosquito repellent. Depends where you are though.

I personally can't wait to go back to the UK for a holiday maybe during Summer/Autumn. I have fond memories of encouraging the chestnuts to drop from the trees by throwing stones at them and playing conkers during the autumn months. Would be good to relive some of those memories that are an impossibility in Oz.

One day....

I miss the beautiful birdsong in England. Also the trees - such variety and lushness of green.

No comparison in my opinion.

I also have come to appreciate how I could walk around without worrying about getting bitten by anything!!! In Australia during summer (Esp. in the evenings/night) I don't go out for a walk without wearing mosquito repellent. Depends where you are though.

I personally can't wait to go back to the UK for a holiday maybe during Summer/Autumn. I have fond memories of encouraging the chestnuts to drop from the trees by throwing stones at them and playing conkers during the autumn months. Would be good to relive some of those memories that are an impossibility in Oz.

One day....

Good call re; Birdsong. When I was back last year I actually caught myself lying in bed one morning for a good amount of time just listening to the birds - was like I had been on Mars and had just returned from an 8 year mission i.e. being back on earth. Very suprising to a dirt biking surfer from Middlesbrough I can tell ya.

I had a week off work a short while ago as a job taking kids on a week long canoe trip fell through so I thought I'd nip down to Tasmania for a few days surfing and fishing. Only wanted a cheap flight and camper hire, I ended up cancelling the time off and going to work instead as it was going to cost $200 less than they were advertising a trip to Rome!!!!

Last year I went home for 6 months and loved every second of being there, seasons, friends, work, being able to run and mountain bike without sweating so much I lok like I'm dying. And the countryside, every bit as stunning as I remember it, so many shades of green you lose count.

But now back on the sunshine coast for rain and flat waves.......... Damn :-(

Mate - I have mentioned this to heaps of people... Unless you are a millionaire there are very few places to live here and surf good waves all the time. That excludes regional living, of course. I have all but given up surfing for the time being and have got right into dirt bikes in all forms..... Probably the best place in the world to hammer about on a dirt bike.

Good call re; Birdsong. When I was back last year I actually caught myself lying in bed one morning for a good amount of time just listening to the birds - was like I had been on Mars and had just returned from an 8 year mission i.e. being back on earth. Very suprising to a dirt biking surfer from Middlesbrough I can tell ya.

Lots of tweeting where we live.

Mate - I have mentioned this to heaps of people... Unless you are a millionaire there are very few places to live here and surf good waves all the time. That excludes regional living, of course. I have all but given up surfing for the time being and have got right into dirt bikes in all forms..... Probably the best place in the world to hammer about on a dirt bike.

Same with my partner, he used to be really into surfing, chose to go to uni in Cornwall just so he could surf! Now his longboard sits in the corner untouched for 2 years. Bike gets used 3-4 times a week including commuting to the mine site cross country. Although he has been hankering after surfing a bit more. Esperance is a bit scary though, too many sharks not enough people around!

Same with my partner, he used to be really into surfing, chose to go to uni in Cornwall just so he could surf! Now his longboard sits in the corner untouched for 2 years. Bike gets used 3-4 times a week including commuting to the mine site cross country. Although he has been hankering after surfing a bit more. Esperance is a bit scary though, too many sharks not enough people around!

I live in Melbourne Australia and there's plenty of bike paths where I live and I love it. There are great surfing beaches too but I guess it depends where you are on how easy it is to get to. Luckily we don't get sharks here but appreciated your dilemma lol.

I thought I was the only person who felt like this! I emigrated with my parents to Oz at the age of 17 very reluctantly and like you I never wanted to leave the UK. I totally agree with all the points you have stated about Australia and after a recent holiday to the UK I am 100% certain that I should have stayed there. It is a great place and offers more of the things that interest me. Here in Oz, unless you love the beach, surfing and fishing then there is very little else to do. Aussies are full of themselves and think Australia is the best country in the world - it may have been the land of milk and honey way back when but these days they are miles behind other western countries in many areas. They could take a leaf out of the UK's book to be honest. I wish my husband felt the same as me but he emigrated here at a very young age and knows nothing else. All I can do is take holidays over there as often as possible I guess.

I thought I was the only person who felt like this! I emigrated with my parents to Oz at the age of 17 very reluctantly and like you I never wanted to leave the UK. I totally agree with all the points you have stated about Australia and after a recent holiday to the UK I am 100% certain that I should have stayed there. It is a great place and offers more of the things that interest me. Here in Oz, unless you love the beach, surfing and fishing then there is very little else to do. Aussies are full of themselves and think Australia is the best country in the world - it may have been the land of milk and honey way back when but these days they are miles behind other western countries in many areas. They could take a leaf out of the UK's book to be honest. I wish my husband felt the same as me but he emigrated here at a very young age and knows nothing else. All I can do is take holidays over there as often as possible I guess.

When we emigrated in 1999, my son was 20 and daughter 17, they both did struggle to start with, after approx. 1.5-2 yrs both went back to UK (separately) for work and/or holiday, both came back saying Aus is home now, UK did nothing for them and have no real interest in going back, even for a holiday. Suppose it can also depend on where about you came from in UK and how that area has changed along with how your friends have got on too.

My wife and I go back every year, but we have grandchildren there and closer family bonds, but still no regret in coming to Aus, could not achieve in the UK what I have here for just a normal working bloke.

I wish everyone well and happiness in their life's where ever that may be.

When we emigrated in 1999, my son was 20 and daughter 17, they both did struggle to start with, after approx. 1.5-2 yrs both went back to UK (separately) for work and/or holiday, both came back saying Aus is home now, UK did nothing for them and have no real interest in going back, even for a holiday. Suppose it can also depend on where about you came from in UK and how that area has changed along with how your friends have got on too.

My wife and I go back every year, but we have grandchildren there and closer family bonds, but still no regret in coming to Aus, could not achieve in the UK what I have here for just a normal working bloke.

Do you think you would have been able to achieve as much if you'd emigrated in the last few years? I bet 1999-2007 ish were great years to emigrate: exchange rate was the right way round, house prices were cheaper, mining and construction boom so plenty of jobs. It is so different for people coming over now. Lessens the positives relative to what they had in the UK. Australia has given me more in far fewer years than I could have achieved in the UK, and I'm very grateful for that, but I still don't want to spend my whole life here. With a baby on the way it's a turning point for us and we want our children to grow up with family close by. When we go back it feels like we haven't been away, which is really nice, we've never had the feeling that our friends have moved on without us, they all keep asking when are we coming back!

I went back to the UK in May this year and was impressed with how much life had improved in the 40 years that I've been away. All my family and friends live great lives, live in decent houses and have good jobs - just ordinary working class people. Two of my children, who were born in Oz, have been on holiday there and both loved it and want to return asap. Horses for courses I guess.

Julesy - yup. I've told it how it is. Australia is decent if you like the outdoorsy, laidback lifestyle. But eventually it catches up to you. I see many patients that have terrible skin, aged by the sun, solar keratoses galore vs those from the UK.

And this whole laidback thing - sometimes I feel people are a little TOO laidback in Australia!

One tip I will give people with kids thinking of moving to Oz - think CAREFULLY. If you child(ren) have gotten into a decent senior school in the UK (and I'm talking top schools here) or really enjoy their school life I would advise please be cautious about moving them. The schools in this range I don't think are not quite as good in Oz (I speak from experience) and the value placed on education and so forth is less than the UK. If your kids have a shot at getting into one of the top universities in the UK then whatever you do consider leaving them there! They will have much greater value and better opportunity in UK/Europe.

A top UK education and a degree from Oxbridge ain't worth as much in Oz as it is in other parts of the planet. Unless you happen to be very, very lucky.

Guest The Pom Queen

Why, hello stranger :wink: Nice to see you on here. Are you glad to be back in Brissy

Archived