Does £60k household income mean your rich?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't wish it on anyone else but where has been everyone been hiding and not hoping tradesmen....? It's ok for them but not you ...?

You're s/employed like me then Paul,or have been?ive been s/employed since 89,mostly ive earned a half decent wage,barring some of the thatcher yrs and 2009/10,so you and me have earned good conkers at times,yes?a lot of these people on zero hours contracts dont have a trade or skill,dont get the "good" times £ wise,like me and you have,just minimum wage forever

Look at the big picture,those at the top,the establishment,"want" you to turn on your own,get green eyed and jealous,because when your whingeing about scroungers,you forget the billions paid out by taxpayers to subsidise massive companies like Walmart and Tesco that are making fortunes,but the tax payer has to subsidise their low paid workers!

Look at the big picture

It's interesting to me how perspective on what "well off" means changes. When you make my salary and have significant college loans (thanks, US education system!), and you are unable to afford to live alone in an apartment (sans roommates), being able to afford to buy a house seems quite "well off!" Whereas my fiance, whose income is substantially higher than mine, feels like he just "scrapes by" as well. I think it's a symptom of our times - we all feel as though we aren't making enough or are just getting by because we can't afford everything we want yet. But as we make more money, what we want and what we think we deserve gets more and more expensive, so we never feel "rich." To the majority of the world (including third world countries in this), even my job would make me seem "rich." To the majority of people in both the UK and the US, £60k is VERY well-off. I think the perspective of this board is somewhat skewed, as it's the lowest income folks who can't afford to even think about immigration.

i take your point, however can only presume you are a pathway planner social worker/young people who were/are in care!? If so I know that I wouldn't want to swap my life for that that they live..I don't begrudge young people in/ out of care council properties because they often have no family who can home/ support them.

The young people I work with are not generally leaving care. . .a very small percentage of them are but the majority are not. Many of the young mums I work with are planning their second child already whilst relying on state handouts and at the same time have the latest Iphone in their hand and sometimes mid-level designer clothing too. I do not begrude those leaving care anything, I just think that things need to be more balanced.

Those on low incomes/benefits often get half price travel, half price gym membership (for local services), free school meals for their kids, free school uniforms, child benefit (now being denied to higher income families) etc. It gets to the point when there is an overlap where people working (especially in London where the cost of commuting and rent/housing is so expensive) may be working 35-40 hours a week and have a standard of living only slightly higher than those on benefits (who may be getting to stay at home with their kids most of the time).

I'm saying this as someone who works with young people on benefits trying to encourage them to support themselves, having grown up with parents on benefits. The area of London me and my partner live in is fairly rough and not very pleasant but it is what we can afford on our £60k joint income. . .I am managing (just about) to save towards our migration but my partner cannot afford to and part of the reason I can afford it is because I have taken a second job to supplement the one I work in 36 hours a week.

That's very true, CollegeGirl. It's all completely relative to one's personal circumstances. We're not on £60k by any means (though if we were then I still wouldn't class us as 'well off') but my husband does earn a good salary of £50k (which is actually just under average - the average wage being around £27k x 2 = £54k in the UK, the last time I checked) but pretty much every penny of it is accounted for. We live a nice life - by which I mean we have 1 car between us (so when he works away I have to walk around 15-20 miles a week with 3 kids in tow, doing the school / pre-school run, shopping, mums 'n' toddler groups, etc.), we have Fibre Broadband, Sky TV (basic package), telephone, 2 mobiles (though I'm tied into a ridiculous 2 yr contract with a crappy phone that doesn't work as my iphone was stolen and I didn't have a choice - but that's another story!), our eldest child goes to a sports after-school club, we've recently cancelled my son and daughters' swimming lessons as it's getting too expensive; we spend on average £165 pw on groceries, we didn't have a holiday this year, nor will we next year (instead we'll try and save £100 pcm towards Australia), we have £100 pcm general savings which tend to get spent on areas where we've underbudgeted (e.g. school uniforms, clothes for us - just had to buy 2 winter jackets for OH and I, and my middle child has - this month alone - outgrown her PE plimsolls, slippers, wellington boots and trainers! Plus they'll all need waterproofs for when the snow arrives...). Our mortgage is high but that's because we were forced to leave our old house (due to them building an incinerator opposite us) and spend almost £100k extra to move 5 miles down the road into a slightly smaller house, albeit in a much better and very well-to-do area, so that's all good and it was worth every penny). My husband also gets a car allowance which we always said would go to pay £x off the interest-only mortgage every month but we've been here 9 months already and still haven't paid a penny off as every month there's something else that comes up. For example, last month we were told we'd received £1200 too much in tax credits (I didn't even notice I'd had it as it just gets absorbed into my overdraft!) and it needs to be paid back by October! Who has £400pcm spare, I'd like to know?!

Oh, and the exams my husband has to take to further his career cost around £2k each time (no pressure to pass, then!).

Anyway, we're very fortunate to be keeping our heads above water in this (albeit improving) economic climate so I'm not moaning (I'm thankful my husband has a job, tbh), I'm just illustrating how - to one person - our wage might seem high but, given our outgoings, there really is very little left at the end of the month. We decided to have 3 children - that was OUR choice, so we don't moan about the costs of them (well, a little - but I'm not expecting any sympathy, lol!). However, when we looked at whether or not we could afford kids, I'll admit that the main costs we expected were those associated with their babyhood years - nappies, staying off work, etc. Not the increased groceries, after-school clubs, additional levies on 'family rooms' for holidays, larger car, etc.

We rarely go out for meals but our little 'treats' are regular coffee shop jaunts with the kids, but we tend to get them tap-water and sneak our own snacks in for them, lol ;-)

I know you have children and a mortgage but i really don't know how someone on 50k can be just 'keeping their heads above water'... i know people with 2 or 3 kids who have what you have but they earn a lot less...still have a good standard of living...

I must be living in a different land lol

Definitely! Although they're worth every penny :-) We only had three as it increases our odds of being looked after in our old age, hehe ;-) (plus we wanted to confuse people because we already had a boy and girl and they couldn't understand why on earth we wanted another - because obviously, the only reason you'd have a third would be if you have 2 of the same sex and want to try for the other!).

Ooh I forgot to mention that 25% of our income goes on alcohol - we were t-total before the kids came along but they drove us to drink! (not entirely true - we have 2 bottles of wine a week...) ;-)

I know you have children and a mortgage but i really don't know how someone on 50k can be just 'keeping their heads above water'... i know people with 2 or 3 kids who have what you have but they earn a lot less...still have a good standard of living...

I must be living in a different land lol

Someone earning £50K, takes home approx £3,000 a month. If you have a £250K mortgage (which loads of people do), £1300 goes to the morgage. £150+ council tax, then childcare, food, car costs, Gas/Elect/Water and it soon goes..

Someone earning £50K, takes home approx £3,000 a month. If you have a £250K mortgage (which loads of people do), £1300 goes to the morgage. £150+ council tax, then childcare, food, car costs, Gas/Elect/Water and it soon goes..

Having one salary of £50k means you come out with less than two people earning £25k too.

http://www.listentotaxman.com/index.php

They get worse! I see baby stuff in the shop and then think aww look that little tshirt is cheap but then you have all the nappies etc. Noo i think i'll just stay childless lol

No, don't do that. They're so worth all the expense..... I think...... :wink:

I want to go ebay all the way when it comes to having kids, but my girlfriend doesnt support that stance.... all the stuff they will grow out of and not even remember or appriciate, why spend money on it?

I hate to say it, but it's not really what they outgrow which costs so much. It's feeding them, educating them (I don't mean school fees, but excursions, stationery, extra curricular stuff), out of school activities, transport, holidays etc etc etc... You can save on a pram and clothes, but that's just the start... :wink:

Our income is approx. 50k between us and we spend £1200 of that per month on childcare! Then our rent which is £850 and Council Tax (should be £200 but I am a student) £150 and Gas and Elec £250. That's before any of the other expenses such as car, petrol and food! Feels like we are chasing our tail from month to month and despite the high income (and barely any debt) we wont be able to save for Australia unless we severely decrease our outgoings. We have to move to a property which will be £550 or so a month, which for our village is the cheapest you can get. We are praying for the day we get 15 hours free with childcare in January. We live in the midlands so neither north or south prices but our rent I would say is average for the area. We do not live any kind of flashy lifestyle. We have basic furniture in the house, cant afford to buy pictures, vases and all the other things we would have liked. We use Eurocamp etc for holidays and drive rather than take a plane. I have 3 birthdays coming up between now and xmas, my husbands 30th and then Xmas and most their presents will be via ebay!

Wish I could go back to being 18 earning £100 a week and feelings rich!

Wish I could go back to being 18 earning £100 a week and feelings rich!

Crazy isn't it? I felt like I had more money when I was a student at university than I do now. Then I had a new car, holidays numerous times a year, new clothes whenever I wanted them....... oh and £25k's worth of debt at the end of it. Ooops.

lol that's the thing, I do have debt - student debt although I never actually consider that debt for some strange reason!

That great feeling when you got paid and went out shopping and for a night out... Now I get paid and think, have all my direct debits gone out, better top up household basics, do I need to buy xmas/bday/holidays etc! Its horrible.

People laugh at me because I have to have bargains all the time, such as my Sun holidays. They would cry if they knew how high our income was!

Me too!! So very depressing. It's almost embarrassing how much OH and I earn, yet we still don't have enough money to go out for dinner during the week and I'm scrabbling around at the Spud Shed trying to do a weekly shop for under $70!

I actually have my final student loan payment next month - then all my UK debt is gone! I thought this day would never come....! However since we bought a house at the beginning of the year we've managed to rack up $45k's worth of debt in Australia, so back to the drawing board.

Archived