An update.

The process is complete!!!

Applied 2nd Sept 2013

Test 23rd Sept 2013

Approval 30th Sept 2013

Ceremony 26/01/14

Passport applied 01/02/14

Passport arrived 19/02/14

Congrats Dmjg, Any advice for me....... thanks........

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone has an idea how often Blacktown Council holds the ceremony? Parramatta Council posts ceremony dates in their website, but not Blacktown. If anyone can share their waiting time for Blacktown, it will be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hello This is my timeline:

Citizenship application date: 8th July (I applied on the day I became eligible)

Citizenship test date: 8th August

Citizenship Approval letter: 18th August (came in the mail today!)

Citizenship Ceremony letter: Waiting,

Lets see how long this takes, how ever my processing was quite speedy and the whole application process seemed very comfortable and easy. Now the real wait begins, id be lucky to get a spot this year! Considering the responses people from city of Canada Bay are giving on this forum. Yikes.

Edited by Muhammad Abdullah Bhatti

Now the real weight begins, id be lucky to get a spot this year! Considering the responses people from city of Canada Bay are giving on this forum. Yikes.

I am also waiting (since April, but in a different Council area). My local Council says the delay is not at their end; they can only issue invitations when DIBP pass names on to them and they will always invite people to the next ceremony. Numbers are not a problem for them. However, DIBP seems to delay passing names to Councils, presumably because they have maximum quotas that they will let through in any given month/quarter/year.

Hi All,

Is any one waiting for ceremony at parramatta council.

My approval date is June 25 2014

I am still waiting for my ceremony date

Please .Kindly update

Hi All,

I was not able to find an ongoing thread for the current waiting time for citizenship ceremony, so thought of starting one.

I also want to know how long after the approval (I got my approval on 25th June ) the invitation for the ceremonies are sent out. My council is Parramatta

my timeline:

04 June 2014 - application online (noted Blacktown as my preferred Council)

06 June 2104 - received test schedule via email

13 June 2014 - citizenship test and approval letter (dated same day)

21 June 2014 - approval letter received by mail

21 Aug 214 - invitation letter received

05 Sep 2014 - ceremony at DIBP Parramatta

I noted in my application I had planned travel in Dec. The letter says that due to the long waiting times in the Council, the ceremony we will attend is a simple ceremony where there will be no refreshments or speeches or gifts.

• 2 weeks later...

Not for the faint hearted, you been warned, dont read any further.

Applied PR 880 Skilled: 30 March 2004

PR Approved: 27 Oct 2011

Citizenship Applied: 27 Oct 2012

Citizenship Test: A month later

Citizenship Approved: 6 August 2014

Approval letter: 28 August 2014

Ceremony: Waiting, will see you guys in 2-4 years and will update :SLEEP:

I am back again, so I decided to call department of Citizenship, the big improvement over the last 10 years is that you dont have to wait on the phone forever for them to take your call, i opted for a call back option, got a call back within an hour,

and asked them about the ceremony date.

A very nice lady on the phone gave me my ceremony date, warning you guys again, dont faint

Citizenship Ceremony Date: 27 November 20....

Yes, its this year, 27 Nov 2014. i was expecting them to say sometime next year, but no its, this year, and kinda happy :hug:

Applied mid June

Test mid July

Approval about 10 days later

Invitation for ceremony about a week later

Ceremony booked for 28 November.

Wow this shows the difference we are the exact same council.

Application 1 July 2014

Test date 28 July 2014

Approval 28 July 2014 ( same day )

Still waiting for a citizenship invite 5th September 2014

• 4 weeks later...

Hi KSK,

Did you receive your ceremony invitation letter?

I had test on 22nd sept and got "applicant approved" status on 26th sept but i am still awaiting letter from DIAC.

I am also in Penrith council. Your wait time can give me idea when i am expected to receive ceremony invitation letter.

Thanks

I am in Penrith, Sydney.

Applied............................29 Nov 2013

Test taken.......................11 Dec 2013

Approved.........................17 Dec 2013

Ceremony letter received.... Still Waiting.......

Citizenship ceremony.......... Waiting.......

I have contacted DIAC, a 3-6 month wait, and when contacted Penrith city council, they say there is a waiting list of 100 people. So pretty much agitated with this long waiting periods and lost two federal job oppurtunities. Can any one say or predict about the waiting time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Does anybody here know the average waiting time to get a citizenship ceremony date in the Wyndham council? I called immigration today and I was advised that because Wyndham vale has a large migrant community, it might take more than 6 months for me to get a ceremony date. If there is any other applicant here from the same council, please share your timeline. I would appreciate that very much.

My timeline is as follows:

Date applied : 9 September 2014

Approval date : 10 October 2014

Ceremony date : still waiting

Maninder paaji, I have been waiting in my local council of City of Canada Bay and it has been more than 4 months. I called department of immigration and they said that there is no prospective date given to me on their portal. Looks like the wait is 6-9 months all over Sydney, no matter where you are. Unless you somehow get an urgent ceremony due to some serious reason.

Bhatti Paaji,

Thank you for the reply. Looks like there is going to be a bit of wait before we get our ceremony dates. However, my cousin did get his citizenship here in Melbourne within 3 months of applying. He applied in July this year and got done with his ceremony by September end, but he was in a different council than me so it's really hard to predict how long it will actually take. Fingers crossed.

Judging from your council's location my safe guess would be that you will get your ceremony date in January on Australia day. My council is so crowded that at the end of december it would be 5 months to my approval date and still no sign of a letter or a tentative date, I had even planned a trip to Pakistan in January. I think we Pakistanis are blessed by the dual citizenship rule, at least we can travel while waiting for our citizenship ceremony. Ive heard Indians have to forgo their Indian passport before they can get approval for their Australian citizenship and hence cannot travel. Is it true or a hoax? Just asking to increase my knowledge.

Yesterday (27 Nov 2014) against all odds, i received my citizenship at Brisbane city hall.

After the freakish storm, with baseball size hail stones, and being stuck in the Translink bus for over 2 hours, i thought it was all over, and I will never make it to the venue, but i did, and got the piece of paper after 10 years.

Just to clarify, I applied as a skilled migrant on 880 visa (back in 2004 it use to be 880).

I am back again, so I decided to call department of Citizenship, the big improvement over the last 10 years is that you dont have to wait on the phone forever for them to take your call, i opted for a call back option, got a call back within an hour,

and asked them about the ceremony date.

A very nice lady on the phone gave me my ceremony date, warning you guys again, dont faint

Citizenship Ceremony Date: 27 November 20....

Yes, its this year, 27 Nov 2014. i was expecting them to say sometime next year, but no its, this year, and kinda happy :hug:

10 years of my life was on hold, was 23 when I applied, now when i look in the mirror, i look a lot older than most of the people of my age, just because of this whole un-necessary delays from a useless department that has changed its name 4 times since i applied, DIMIA/DIMA/DIAC and now DIBP.

At the end they apologised for this DELAY, no reason given for the delay what so ever, and wished me a "happy beginning". Thank you DIMIA.

I am glad its over, and i can start a life.

And yes, that dreadful bus ride, 10 years of wait and there is this storm between me and that certificate. One hour passed in the bus, its raining outside and i am stuck, I told myself, i should have left work earlier, but that will make me desperate, I AM DESPERATE , should have drove myself, but who could have known this will happen, every minute sitting in that bus was unbearable, may be thats how its scripted for me, struggle till the very end, may its not meant to be. With 5 minutes remaining, I got off the bus on the second last stop, i knew i can beat the bus if i run, and started running towards the venue, i told myself its now or never. People on the bus stops looked at me if i have stolen something from someone and running in the rain like that. I didnt care, my mind was focused, controlled breathing, i knew i cant let my legs tired now, adrenaline pumping, and i kept running. When i reached the venue, there was a big queue of people registering themselves and i told myself, why did I run, but i didnt have any choice and i couldnt risk it either, sweating, huffing and puffing, unlike most of them i wasnt dressed up in a suit but it didnt matter, i was smiling, i knew i made it and when they gave me the certificate, thats all it mattered then. And of the 600 people there, i am pretty certain I was the first one to leave the City Hall, as a free man.

Congratulations on becoming an Aussie! That must have been a VERY stressful bus trip in that dreadful storm.

for those people who already received approval letter, I would like to know within how many days we will receive "official approval letter" from DIBP after online status being changed to "approved" ? Thanks.

Mine was lodged the day I passed the test which was friday 8th of August and it took 10 days in the mail, including weekends to reach me. What you can do is call DIBP and ask them if it has been lodged or not. They will tell you if it has been lodged or not, if they say yes, expect it in a 7 - 10 days from date of lodgement.