Citizenship Ceremony waiting period

theuniverse

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It very much depends on your council. We applied 18th April, had our test two weeks later. It took 10 days for approval and we had our letters from council (Sutherland Shire) about the 1st July for our ceremony which was on the 19th July. This was much quicker than we were expecting, and had thought it would be longer. I think they aim for six months, but have heard of it taking longer if there is a long waiting list.

Yeah, the wait time is very inconsistent from council to council , and there is no way you can check it, apart from calling DIAC. I already called them 4 times however they don't have prospective date for me yet :(

I don't think that DIAC have anything to do with the citizenship ceremonies. They simply provide a list to the local council who will slot you in in turn, as and when they have the ceremony. Our letters came from the council, and at the ceremony we were the last four new citizens to be sworn in. Had our application been approved any later, we would have had to wait until October, which is when the next ceremony is being held.

I got approval letter on the 25th of june. still waiting. waiting times depend on the council as someone else pointed out earlier.

furthermore due to the changes in the ministry the new minister has to sign the certificates so i guess it will take longer than usual. 4 to 6 months is normal according to immigration.

Hi 000000001,

What do you mean about one time option I am in Belmont and its looking like feb 2014 before a slot

PT

The letter said it's a special ceremony due to the increased number of people waiting for a ceremony. It's not a normal ceremony, you just go and say your pledge and get your certificate, no guests are allowed. But it looks like you need to be invited to it.

Oh applied a month ago

Test today

i'll add other steps as they come through. But we are hoping for an Australia Day ceremony.

Got approval through today. Oh will ring council tomorrow to try to get into Australia Day ceremony rather than the nextavailable on in Nov.

Thought I better put some dates in.....

Applied 2nd Sept

Test 23rd Sept

Approval 30th Sept

Ceremony ???

Passport ???

• 3 months later...

Hi Have you confirmed your ceremony date ?

Hi All,

I was not able to find an ongoing thread for the current waiting time for citizenship ceremony, so thought of starting one.

I also want to know how long after the approval (I got my approval on 25th June ) the invitation for the ceremonies are sent out. My council is Parramatta

Hi theuniverse, have you confirmed the ceremony date ? i am living in paramatta and will apply for citizenship recently.

The waiting continues, look like early ceremony is just like winning a lottery, some people are getting ceremony done sooner then others.

The letter said it's a special ceremony due to the increased number of people waiting for a ceremony. It's not a normal ceremony, you just go and say your pledge and get your certificate, no guests are allowed. But it looks like you need to be invited to it.

how to request special ceremony ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, when did you lodge online application ? tks

My council is Rockdale. I went to my interview on 17th OCT and was approved on the same day. but i still haven't got my invitation for the ceremony. as day goes by it is less likely i will be making the plege on Australia day, pity

• 2 weeks later...

I am in Glen Eira Melbourne. Waited about 7 monts from the date I've applied for my citizenship

Applied............................14 July 2013

Test taken.......................15 Augst 2013

Approved.........................15 Augst 2013

Ceremony letter received....12 February 2014

Citizenship ceremony..........5 March 2014

I am in Penrith, Sydney.

Applied............................29 Nov 2013

Test taken.......................11 Dec 2013

Approved.........................17 Dec 2013

Ceremony letter received.... Still Waiting.......

Citizenship ceremony.......... Waiting.......

I have contacted DIAC, a 3-6 month wait, and when contacted Penrith city council, they say there is a waiting list of 100 people. So pretty much agitated with this long waiting periods and lost two federal job oppurtunities. Can any one say or predict about the waiting time.