Plastic bags

Red Rose

So apparently the government want to introduce a 5p charge per plastic bag to discourage their use.

But here is a novel idea. Why don't supermarkets just ban plastic bags altogether? This will encourage customers to bring a bag-for-life, or something, with them to collect their groceries, which would overnight drastically reduce the impact they have on the environment.

Thoughts?

That's what they said they were doing in SA. Turns out they still have plastic bags, but biodegradable ones which they now charge for rather than being free.

I don't mind it for a big shop, as I remember the bags, but when I buy something I wasn't expecting to buy it mightily p's me off having to buy a bag.

In some states / territories this is already the case. I think it is a big waste of time. I now have cupboards full of 'bags for life' as I can never remember to take the with me. In states where the ban has been introduced bin liner sales have rocketed....

Its funny as Africa has led the way on this for sometime. Some African countries are a huge mess because of them - there everywhere. Then Rwanda decided to ban them and now the country looks 3x better than it did

It not because of plastic bags its because of the lazy people who don't care where they leave them and just litter the place.

Single use bags were banned in Wales eighteen months ago and we are using about 80% less than before. Yes, people moan and groan (I work in a shop) about it but I don't really care about them - they aren't the ones that get bits of plastic tied round their beaks (a pity in some cases). Plastic is a huge threat to wildlife. Also its great not to see bits of tatty plastic stuck on chain link fences everywhere. We wrap the clothes we sell in tissue and if people don't like it they can buy a bag - money goes to cancer research and we have raised £2000 or so since the ban came in.

The only reason people are annoyed by the banning of bags is because we've all been spoiled rotten and grown to see them as essential. When I was a kid everyone had shopping bags - my mum had two, a dirty one for the veg and a clean one for other things. The butcher used to wrap meat in strong paper and shops used to wrap big items in paper and string. Carrier bags cost sixpence and were stricty for emergencies - they were made of brown paper and fell apart very quickly. We don't actually need plastic bags - just a bit of common sense.

I'm all for it.

I leave a pile of canvas bags in the car, carry a couple of those tardis type pop out bags in my bag so can always shop for a few bits when out. Plus keep a stack in the porch and generally remember them when shopping. If not, have the ones in the car as back ups.

I'm also of an age where I can remember we used to pay for carrier bags anyway. 1or 2 pence per bag, usually pretty thick and long lasting. So would re use lots.

They only went over to being crappier quality and free when the superstore type shops started taking over.

I just went to Holland on holiday with the children and their were no sign of plastic bags. The reusable ones were E2.50 so all the locals were using the carboard boxes that were used from the produce dept. What makes it even more embarrassing to a country like the UK is 99% of these shoppers doing their weekly shops was that they all cycled it home on their bike!

Certainly made me realise how lazy we are.

Well if the checkout operators put more than 2 things in one bag the amount of bags used would probably at least half!

I've yet to see them do this when packing for me. They tend to fill each bag well tbh.

I prefer to self pack as a rule as I like certain things in together and so on. Makes it easier to unpack the other end.

So if the supermarkets ban plastic bags, what do people do for bin liners? Just go and buy them instead??

Personally id rather recycle plastic bags than buy normal plastic swing bin bags.. either way people still need to use plastic bags.

Cal x

In our area we recycle masses. So all our food waste goes into the food recycling bin, use either newspaper or biodegradable compost bags. Recycle cans, bottles, card, paper, batteries, shoes, mobile phones, glass, plastic containers (apart from black ones so I try not to buy food in those) and heaps more.

Our actual waste that gets collected once a fortnight as general cannot be recycled is minimal. As there is no icky stuff in it usually I just use the bin, tip it out and if need be rinse round it. Or use bread bags. Sometimes a carrier bag if short or for something that needs containing but not often.

In our area we recycle masses. So all our food waste goes into the food recycling bin, use either newspaper or biodegradable compost bags. Recycle cans, bottles, card, paper, batteries, shoes, mobile phones, glass, plastic containers (apart from black ones so I try not to buy food in those) and heaps more.

Our actual waste that gets collected once a fortnight as general cannot be recycled is minimal. As there is no icky stuff in it usually I just use the bin, tip it out and if need be rinse round it. Or use bread bags. Sometimes a carrier bag if short or for something that needs containing but not often.

Same here. Food waste and recyclables are collected weekly, what's left (and it isn't much) is collected once a fortnight. Grass cuttings and all other garden waste is collected from early spring to late autumn every other week.

The compulsory charge in Wales was the push I needed to change my habits. Bags are in the boot of the car, a fold up one in the bottom of my hand bag. And if people can't or won't change the way they shop, at least the charities benefit from people walking around advertising the brand they have just bought. Tx

You guys must have awfully small kitchen bins if you can use a carrier bag as a liner! Ours is many times the size of a carrier bag!

We have a big collection of re-usable bags--some are kept in a cupboard by the front door for big shopping trips but we also keep two or three in the car in case we stop somewhere on the spur of the moment. Our use of disposable bags is probably down of a couple per month.

When I first moved to the UK (1976) you still had to pay for every carrier bag but they were much better quality and lasted a good long time. The move to disposable bags was a backwards step and I welcome any move to push people into using something re-usable.

The free bin liner argument does not really stack up, because for every person that keeps their plastic bags for bin liners etc, thousands throw theirs away as soon as they get home.

Apparently the argument does stack up:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/bin-liner-sales-skyrocket-after-bag-ban-20120108-1ud3v.html

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/bin-line-sales-double-nation-average-after-plastic-bag-ban/story-e6frea6u-1226119243127

You guys must have awfully small kitchen bins if you can use a carrier bag as a liner! Ours is many times the size of a carrier bag!

We have a big collection of re-usable bags--some are kept in a cupboard by the front door for big shopping trips but we also keep two or three in the car in case we stop somewhere on the spur of the moment. Our use of disposable bags is probably down of a couple per month.

When I first moved to the UK (1976) you still had to pay for every carrier bag but they were much better quality and lasted a good long time. The move to disposable bags was a backwards step and I welcome any move to push people into using something re-usable.

We have little caddy bins. One for things that can't be recycled and go into general waste (black wheelie bins) that get emptied fortnightly and one for composted/food waste that the council provide compostable bags for. Plastic/glass/tins are all collected fortnightly as is paper/cardboard/magazines. Nearly everything can be recycled except for yogurt pots, margarine pots etc, and the garden waste goes in the compost bin, which is the only bin that is collected weekly.

We have little caddy bins. One for things that can't be recycled and go into general waste (black wheelie bins) that get emptied fortnightly and one for composted/food waste that the council provide compostable bags for. Plastic/glass/tins are all collected fortnightly as is paper/cardboard/magazines. Nearly everything can be recycled except for yogurt pots, margarine pots etc, and the garden waste goes in the compost bin, which is the only bin that is collected weekly.

Am I the only one that thinks this isn't progress? Having a convoy of trucks collecting peoples food waste? How is that greener than one truck that collects everything. I love the way it works in Canberra: two big wheely bins, one for general waste that is collected weekly (before it smells) and recyclables (that you aren't asked to wash) which is collected fortnightly. Our compost stays in the garden, grass clippings get used for mulch..

Am I the only one that thinks this isn't progress? Having a convoy of trucks collecting peoples food waste? How is that greener than one truck that collects everything. I love the way it works in Canberra: two big wheely bins, one for general waste that is collected weekly (before it smells) and recyclables (that you aren't asked to wash) which is collected fortnightly. Our compost stays in the garden, grass clippings get used for mulch..

Of course it isn't progress as the idea of this recycling is to cut environmental impact and then of course, these big trucks are hardly carbon friendly. Over here though, although you don't have to wash the recyclables, you can't mix them up. They are very strict and you can be fined....assuming they know it's you that's mixed them up!

Archived