Being British a disavantage when job seeking?

vickyplum

Evening everyone

I am browsing the forum, idling away my Sunday evening. I wondered if Brits have experienced difficulties in getting jobs in Australia (regardless of trade / profession) due to employers having a preference for locals or people not on a visa?

I live in London and regularly come across Aussies (and Kiwis, + other Europeans etc) in my line of work (I'm a PA) but the job market here is much larger, so there's more opportunity, even though it can still sometimes be a struggle to get a job.

So does anyone have any insight on this / or an opinion?

Thanks

VP

Edited by vickyplum

I think people may think that its because they are not Aus that they miss out on a job and if this happens a lot for them then they feel their ethnicity might be to blame. However I believe its just the same as anywhere else if you are after a job which has a lot of applicants then they are going to take the person who has experience in the local environment/market rather than someone who they may have to spend some time training or familiarising with the job.

I know when I moved from Sydney to Melbourne it was not easy to get a job at first and I was in the same country just that each State is different.

I think people need to think what job am I doing and how many of the local people also do this job and may be looking as well as me.

I work for a small manufacturing firm and more than half the people in the office weren't born in Australia. Lots of Brits/Kiwi's.

I think the lack of work experience in Australia more than the nationality itself is the problem.

On the whole I don't think it matters - in Brisbane it's who not what you know and people just have to get on with networking. I've had the odd role where I think my accent didn't do me any favours - it sounds quite posh although I have a working class background & I think I've been wrongly judged as not capable of coping with blue collar workers - but that could happen in UK as well

I struggled when I got here, but since getting some local experience I'm finding it easier, now on my 3rd role since arriving in Oct last year. No one gives a toss about your nationality, the big companies have a very international workforce with Asia, Europe (including Spain, France, Ireland, UK) and NZ all well represented.

• 3 weeks later...

British - I'd not think so.

At least in Melbourne there are so many people of every background.

Maybe if you have a non English accent (eg Indian rather than Brumie) I've heard of some people thinking they have issues.

In fairness, it depends who you're working for and what they look for. I was working in a team of 10 where there was only 1 born and bred Aussie, 2 more emigrated Aussies - so 9/10 weren't born here!

Visa status is different.

A permanent resident is treated very differently than a temporary. And then you start getting into Australian experience, then it's city experience, then sector experience, sector experience in the city?

I've been told with 6 months on my visa - I can't apply for a 3 month role.

And now with 4 years on a visa - I can't apply for permanent roles (but again, different people say different things).

Keep asking around. It's all out there, just got to find it.