Simpleton pom question

vickyplum

This is a bit of a strange question but here goes anyway...

So, Australia. Opposite hemisphere to the UK, relatively new "modern" culture but otherwise very ancient. Creatures with paddles, pouches, who hop. Lots of sunshine but can be lots of rain too. A love of cricket, soccer, Aussie rules. Rainforests, crocodiles, immigration, Lamingtons.

What to you, are the things that set Australia apart from the UK or even north America?

Edited by vickyplum

It's just different and I suspect it's a bit like Marmite, that you either love the differences or hate it. Here in Perth anyway, it doesn't rain frequently but when it does rain there's a lot of it, but its mainly just in Winter so three months of the year and not everyday .Space! Houses are bigger , suburbs more sprawling. I love England and I love Australia, can't explain it any more really .

Alot of ocean! It takes soooo long to get anywhere if you don't like Asia as a holiday destination.

Who the hell doesn't like Asia as a holiday destination!?

It's not really a part of the rest of the world, like England is part of Europe (geographically anyway), the US is part of the Americas, China is part of Asia...Australia - although they occasionally group themselves with some of Asia, is really just that: Australia. It can be very insular, and often feel it's a bit more important in the eyes of the world than it actually is. But you can't compare the two. Would you try and compare the US to the UK? It's Australia - it's not the UK with sun.

I find it a bit backward in a lot of ways, in a good way, I like how it feels a bit "70's"

I still chuckle to myself when people say they are "stressed" or flat out at work and the work load is actually about a third of what I was used to in UK.

deadlines somehow seem to be more flexible, if they pass then things get reassessed and a new deadline agreed.

in my current job we are being pushed to the limit with some unrealistic expectations but I find that people speak up and expect things to change, and us usually they do.

i like that on public holidays most businesses really do close- this seems to be changing and I find that sad

I like that there is a public holiday for a horse race lol

trades can be a bit slow to respond and turn up for jobs

Buying houses seems easier.

I am sure there are many more that I cannot think of at the moment.

Alot of people I think you'll find, each to their own!

But there's so many different places on the whole continent? I don't understand how you couldn't like the whole place when it has so much variety and history/ culture.

I can understand how the Benidorm folk may be out of their comfort zone but thats about it

But there's so many different places on the whole continent? I don't understand how you couldn't like the whole place when it has so much variety and history/ culture.

I can understand how the Benidorm folk may be out of their comfort zone but thats about it

As i said each to their own, it might be interesting to you but ive lived here my whole life and seen loads of Australia to know.

As i said each to their own, it might be interesting to you but ive lived here my whole life and seen loads of Australia to know.

I said Asia? Australia isn't Asia.

Guest Guest66881

Asia from my point of view is the Spain of Australia, you can have the cheap drunk nights out but you can also go find interesting parts that hold your imagination.

Skiing in Japan

Angkor Wat in Cambodia

Beach Islands of Thailand/food

Bali - Cheap or luxury holiday

Vietnam - All sorts of interesting history/food/beaches

China - never been but i'm sure its fascinating

Plenty more great places. Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia.

Asia and Europe are the most interesting continents to me.