Remaining hopeful for a UK return!

kaztin

I just wanted to share our story with you.

We arrived in Adelaide in July 2006 and loved it initiallywith no doubts about our decision. We became citizens in 2009 and felt good. Butfrom 2010 we both began to have doubts and feel quite differently aboutAustralia. We have travelled extensively and enjoyed exploring, but scratchingthe surface there seemed little else to stretch the imagination. To be frank, Ithink we feel we have seen a really big part of this country…and what next?Bored maybe…I don’t know, but the thrill has gone and we feel restless.

We have no kids but have made plenty of friends through work.But there was always something missing here for us and we started to seriouslythink about going back to the UK. I’ve just turned 50, and just couldn’t seehow we would want to retire here in 15yrs time, away from the UK, family andfriends, proximity to Europe etc. Australia can feel a long way from everywhereand the long haul flights are horrible. I’vehad 3 trips home in 7 years; the most recent was June this year for 5 weeks tocelebrate my Mum’s 90th birthday. Surrounded by family and friends Ijust wondered what the hell we were doing still in Aus? I want to spend timewith Mum while I still can (thankfully she is great and fit and well).

We tried to sell our house for 9mths in 2012, but no joy andwe both were bitterly disappointed. It wasn’t overpriced, just the market wasflat and we are outer southern suburbs from Adelaide, so it’s a fair trek tothe city…so it seemed no one wanted it! We had plenty of viewings but no offers…everyonewants a bargain it seems! We have recently had house valued again but it stillfalls short from what we need. We can’t rent and return as we have no funds, soour only option is to sit tight, get the election out of the way and see whatnext year brings. We are not well off, have small equity and no money (I wasjust made redundant so it’s been a tough time).

So we want to get back on our feet again and we knowreturning home will cost a fair bit, with 2 dogs and our furniture.

We will carry on waiting….I’m trying to keep positive and I’mdetermined not to get too depressed about our situation.

Good luck to others on their journey, wherever that may befor you.

Sorry to hear that your stuck especially seems you have made the decision to return now. Family are very important and you can never get the time back with them once it passes. Maybe sit tight till after the election then weigh up putting your house back on the market, christmas is a quite time so best get it on earlier rather than later plus if you stick out the summer here you will miss the sometimes nasty winter there ;) thats what I am doing. Good luck!

The honeymoon period eventually wears off for everyone. When it does the choice is either go back to the UK or make the most of what you have. If you are lucky enough to be in the position to return to the UK then the future looks good. Its very sad that more and more people seem to be stuck in a situation where they wan't to return to the UK but for whatever reason can't.

For those returning, there is a real feel good factor now with the economy recovering in leaps and bounds.

Great post Kaztin, you go where's best for you not anyone else. Oz was right for you for a few years, now not so. If is time to move on then that's what you should do.

I hope you won't have to wait too long for it all to come together

best wishes

Once you have made the decision it is hard to mark time! Hopefully the election will bring changes that see things pick up and people more inclined to house buying. I agree though, Christmas is a deadly time for the house market - before or after perhaps but to have the house on the market over Christmas might just add to the depression. Fingers crossed you can make a move soon!

Once the train line and southern express way are both open again I expect the southern suburbs will become far more desirable and houses will start selling much better. Don't leave it too long though - if you want to go back then no point in staying here for ages just to try and make more money. I hope everything works out for you.

I totally understand what you mean. We are going to be going back for similar reasons. I think you have to do things, so you can live with no regrets, but by the same token, if it's not working, you have to look for a way to get what you need. The frustrating bit is trying to make it all work financially. I hope that a) house prices here don't drop further and b) the pound doesn't increase much against the dollar.

Good luck

Whether you end up going back or not I do think you need to move and change where you are living. There is nothing worse than feeling stuck, bored and miserable. I like Adelaide but I have come across many, many people who get really sick of it after a few years and can't bear it any longer. I have never actually lived there so I guess just visiting is a whole heap different.

We too are planning a move to the U.K. a return for my partner after 30 years in Australia a new adventure for me. Sadly though we too are stuck for now due to a number of reasons but we are both hopeful things will sort themselves out eventually. My partner is desperate to return. Amazingly after all this time he has never really felt right living here. Wasn't his choice to come in the first place came as a seventeen year old with his now elderly mother.( one of our complications in making the move). Good luck to you all.

Whether you end up going back or not I do think you need to move and change where you are living. There is nothing worse than feeling stuck, bored and miserable. I like Adelaide but I have come across many, many people who get really sick of it after a few years and can't bear it any longer. I have never actually lived there so I guess just visiting is a whole heap different.

Our desire has nothing to do ith living in Adelaide and moving elsewhere would not change our minds. We want to be in the UK for a variety of reasons, Australia just isn't for us after 7 years.

Our desire has nothing to do ith living in Adelaide and moving elsewhere would not change our minds. We want to be in the UK for a variety of reasons, Australia just isn't for us after 7 years.

That's fair comment. I hope things work out for you so you are able to return :)

I guess you need to ask yourself four questions.

1. Will the property market improve in SA - and what would make this happen?

2. Will interest rates go up in Oz - and why would that happen?

3. Will interest rates go up in the UK?

4. Will the new fed liberal govt bring in austerity? and could the situation get worse before it gets better.

But you have to make the choice between cutting ties now at 'a loss' and possibly taking a greater loss at a later date, or even being trapped. Hard decisions to make.

I guess you need to ask yourself four questions.

1. Will the property market improve in SA - and what would make this happen?

2. Will interest rates go up in Oz - and why would that happen?

3. Will interest rates go up in the UK?

4. Will the new fed liberal govt bring in austerity? and could the situation get worse before it gets better.

But you have to make the choice between cutting ties now at 'a loss' and possibly taking a greater loss at a later date, or even being trapped. Hard decisions to make.

I hear what you are saying, I think the only way interest rates will go in uk is up eventually. very difficult to try and time these things . Sometimes as you say take the loss on material things, and what is in effect money on paper and take the plunge. Those who came here just a few months ago will probably rue changing their money up then given the dollar has plunged now.but thats the way it rolls.

Hi, I spent a year here in 1989 1993 2000 and 2008 and ive just moved here 6 weeks ago on a permanent residency visa and i'm wondering what the hell ive done. The cost of living here is now just ridiculous. The health system varies in price from doctor to doctor and chemist to chemist. Fuel is increasing in price to the point that when you take into account the greater travel distances here then your no better of than back home and to be totally honest it seems people here are starting to get ripped off.Plus the land and house prices are just a joke. So theres the bonus of the sun and weather over here but buy a nice apartment in Spain/Turkey/Portugal etc for 25 grand and youve got nice weather on your doorstep. For every family i know moving out here two have/are moving back to the UK.

Hi, I spent a year here in 1989 1993 2000 and 2008 and ive just moved here 6 weeks ago on a permanent residency visa and i'm wondering what the hell ive done. The cost of living here is now just ridiculous. The health system varies in price from doctor to doctor and chemist to chemist. Fuel is increasing in price to the point that when you take into account the greater travel distances here then your no better of than back home and to be totally honest it seems people here are starting to get ripped off.Plus the land and house prices are just a joke. So theres the bonus of the sun and weather over here but buy a nice apartment in Spain/Turkey/Portugal etc for 25 grand and youve got nice weather on your doorstep. For every family i know moving out here two have/are moving back to the UK.

Bear with it cobbydog, it takes time to settle into a routine, took me a year to realise I could get my prescripts 10 dollars cheaper at chemist warehouse etc.

do you have work yet?. Yes very expensive but cut your cloth accordingly. just give the culture shock period some time to ease

Thanks legoman. No i havent got work yet. I was a qualified electrician with 30 years experience in England but apparently ive to go through an expensive procedure including college training and working as an assistant for a year before i can work as a sparkie here and no ones setting sparkies on anyway so looks like i'm going to have to find alternative work. I am not a quitter and will give it a good go but i left a comfortable life in the UK for what seems like a survival battle over here so it does but you on a slight downer. Thanks for your reply.

I just wanted to share our story with you.

We arrived in Adelaide in July 2006 and loved it initiallywith no doubts about our decision. We became citizens in 2009 and felt good. Butfrom 2010 we both began to have doubts and feel quite differently aboutAustralia. We have travelled extensively and enjoyed exploring, but scratchingthe surface there seemed little else to stretch the imagination. To be frank, Ithink we feel we have seen a really big part of this country…and what next?Bored maybe…I don’t know, but the thrill has gone and we feel restless.

We have no kids but have made plenty of friends through work.But there was always something missing here for us and we started to seriouslythink about going back to the UK. I’ve just turned 50, and just couldn’t seehow we would want to retire here in 15yrs time, away from the UK, family andfriends, proximity to Europe etc. Australia can feel a long way from everywhereand the long haul flights are horrible. I’vehad 3 trips home in 7 years; the most recent was June this year for 5 weeks tocelebrate my Mum’s 90th birthday. Surrounded by family and friends Ijust wondered what the hell we were doing still in Aus? I want to spend timewith Mum while I still can (thankfully she is great and fit and well).

We tried to sell our house for 9mths in 2012, but no joy andwe both were bitterly disappointed. It wasn’t overpriced, just the market wasflat and we are outer southern suburbs from Adelaide, so it’s a fair trek tothe city…so it seemed no one wanted it! We had plenty of viewings but no offers…everyonewants a bargain it seems! We have recently had house valued again but it stillfalls short from what we need. We can’t rent and return as we have no funds, soour only option is to sit tight, get the election out of the way and see whatnext year brings. We are not well off, have small equity and no money (I wasjust made redundant so it’s been a tough time).

So we want to get back on our feet again and we knowreturning home will cost a fair bit, with 2 dogs and our furniture.

We will carry on waiting….I’m trying to keep positive and I’mdetermined not to get too depressed about our situation.

Good luck to others on their journey, wherever that may befor you.

I honestly think you should consider taking another drop in your property just to get rid of it so you can return home, waiting in the hope that the prices will rise once more is a very dangerous game because if the market falls more then your position could worsen considerably, i think in your position i would cut my losses and get back while you still can, i know thats a bit of a negative post but your house is only worth what someone is willing to pay and with prices in the uk maybe looking to rise over the next few years you could still make drop back if you buy once you return.

Hi, just got off the phone to my property developer mate in England and he said properties are now selling better and most have gone up in the last month ie a property he was looking at for £220,ooo 6months ago but didnt sell as just been put back on the market at £240,000 and sold in 48 hours. I would drop the price of the house over here again and give it till just before xmas. Maybe also consider using a different selling agent. My property in England is being rented out and my estate agent as advised waiting till next summer before selling cos thats when they expect prices to really increase.

Archived