Unemployment in Australia

paul1977

Try visiting a few restaurants and pubs around King Cross and Potts Point. Nearly all the staff are backpackers. Quite nice to get a French, or some other foreign accent from the waitress. Few of the dishes weren't what we ordered but they were doing there best.

Bit too far to go to Kings Cross from Melbourne :wink: Sydney and Melbourne different as chalk and cheese, Melbourne being the best Cheese

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't come for Christ sake, all Auatralia can offer now is sunshine, my wife and I have been here since last August, she is a Very experienced HR consultant, I a senior PM in construction and we can't get a job at any level.

There are not any roles out there, construction is dead here, mining the bubble has well and truly burst, oil & gas only has a pulse nothing more and to believe 6% unemployment forget, every recruiter, every politician knows its at least 10-12% unemployment in Australia and climbing.

Dont come to Oz now, leave it 2 years this is far worse than the credit crunch in the UK, this is on the Spain- Ireland scale.

Where in Brisbane, I know 20 plus expats out if work, 6 families gone home in the last 2 months after being here 18 months or so trying to find work. It's really bad. Like I said in my post if you have a job you'll think I'm kidding, but for all the people who jump on this "stating' don't exaggerate I hope you don't loose your job, then you'll see it though the eyes of someone who is unemployed. To make matter worse we got offered roles back in the UK.

Ive worked for 5 months in 14 months being here in the mining industry, they just turned the light out just like that. So were still trying, but for how long I don't know came here with $280,000 got $210,000 stressed is not a word I use lightly.

My partner is in HR and got asked to apply for a job (as her CV was posted on Seek) only a few weeks ago. She went on to get the job. Finding childcare has been our biggest issue. The mining bubble has popped and the country definitely seems to be slowing down. But certainly is nowhere near bankrupt or needing a bailout.

I have told you a million times... Do not exaggerate!

Going by personal observations I believe the Fryertuck is sadly correct. In 2008 my former employers went bust and twelve (it was only a small business) were made redundant. That was during the height of the credit crunch/GFC yet six weeks later everyone of us had started new jobs, and good jobs at that...I think about half are still in the same job five years later.

This was the HR manager, head of marketing, finance director, accountants, sales managers, and junior admin staff so a variety of professions. The only one who struggled was the former managing director.

I cannot speak for Ireland and Spain but its certainly worse that the UK has ever been in the last ten years.

It's forecast to hit 6%, whether it does or not is another thing. Will you feel better, along with VS and all the others that's been prediciting doom and gloom for the past couple of years? Keep at it, you'll be right one day then I expect we'll get a "told you so" post.
Told you so

I hope you don't loose your job....! If you do your in for a very big surprise.

Brisbane has been hit hard. WA will probably follow suit. Adelaide has suffered. People may do better looking at less resources intensive states - ie Vic and NSW.

Don't come for Christ sake, all Auatralia can offer now is sunshine, my wife and I have been here since last August, she is a Very experienced HR consultant, I a senior PM in construction and we can't get a job at any level.

There are not any roles out there, construction is dead here, mining the bubble has well and truly burst, oil & gas only has a pulse nothing more and to believe 6% unemployment forget, every recruiter, every politician knows its at least 10-12% unemployment in Australia and climbing.

Dont come to Oz now, leave it 2 years this is far worse than the credit crunch in the UK, this is on the Spain- Ireland scale.

Sorry to hear your situation but its by no means unusual. Good advice - I've given up posting similar about IT in Brisbane because the replies (suggestions to improve CV, insinuations that maybe my experience isn't good enough etc) was winding me up. There's a whole heap of people in the UK reading this who think it will be different for them. The situation re: employment opportunities in Brisbane is dire. Many I know have left for Melbourne/Sydney and these are Ozzies with fantastic experience. With 20 years IT experience myself I can't just 'go for anything' as employers say I'm overqualified. I'm a hands on person who would give anything a go and who doesn't need to earn that much but there's nothing out there! My current employer (SE UK) is always looking for experienced candidates and although there are a high no if applicants (10 -25) for jobs it's nothing like the hundreds of applicants in Brisbane. Leaving any secure employment anywhere to come to Brisbane is madness but at least you'll get plenty of time to enjoy the weather whilst you see your $ disappear. I'm currently saving up to return to Oz to be with my hubby and kids. i'd stay here if I was single. Have to go back for just over a year at least. It's a lovely country for those that can get work but if you can delay going, I'd strongly suggest that too

Its nowhere near the scale of Ireland or Spain, yes its bad and will probably get worse, but maybe you should try your hand at something else till it picks up again?

Saying its as bad as Ireland/Spain just because you can't get a job is incredible arrogance. Australia isnt even in a recession

I probably shouldnt comment since im not there so i'll accept any abuse about that but surely saying its like ireland is a exaggeration (at the moment anyway). I've been to ireland when it was bad, houses half built everywhere, people abandoning them, everybody seemed to be leaving

Please remove head from sand it might help you back into reality.

Yeah a slow in growth = the same as a massive recession.

The irish seem pretty happy to escape over to here.

Guys, do you know of any statistics about unemployment among immigrants?

Or how long as an average it takes to immigrants to find their first job?

took me a month *head in sand* In Brisbane no less

I posted this (I think you spotted it) on time it is taking to get a job (although it is not specifically for migrants) but I just thought I would add it on here in case it is helpful for people..

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/192557-statistics-time-its-taking-find-job-australia.html

fryertuck I see where you coming from.i have been in your shoes and agree the construction market is in reverse,thats why we are outta here as soon as.we left the uk in 08 when the recession hit and no one predicted that.and we will be leaving oz in 2014 just when the recession hits and no one has predicted this one.oz has not had a recession for 20+yrs I believe its about due one.just remember 2008 in the uk when the lying bas7ard banks said no alls good lol.by the sounds of it the mines are eh basically going down the gurgler and I believe what verystormy says that's his bread and butter so I think he qualifys to speak on behalf of it.the car industry here in Adelaide is another one,as is the building industry that's going nowhere.look there is no jobs for you pen welders because there is no work for us manual workers/trades for you to look over and do your HR/ IT bullshit.without construction their is no hope for anyone.

It is very much dependent on what you do. I know people that got work very quickly. But I know people that have been out of work months. You need to research your field and carefully.

It is very much dependent on what you do. I know people that got work very quickly. But I know people that have been out of work months. You need to research your field and carefully.

Very true. As no one has a crystal ball I would advise people to be as proactive as possible in finding out the current of the market. Apply for a job that you are perfectly suited to, if you don't get it try your best to contact the hiring manager or HR department to find out how many suitable candidates you were up against. If it's the only suitable job that has come up in a month and you find out there were 50 other equally suitable people have applied for it then it would be fair to assume that the outlook is very bleak.

You can also ask a good recruitment consultant how many vacancies and candidates similar to you they have. Try to make sure it is an honest consultant though as this is not a profession known for its moral integrity. This will also be your only available approach if no suitable jobs have come up in the entire time in which you have been looking. You could be patiently waiting months for a suitable role to come up only to find that when it does you are up against a lot of people and essentially have wasted your time waiting.

Archived