Unemployment in Australia

paul1977

we are nearly ready to lodge our 190 for WA and my husband is already in Perth, having been there 11 weeks tomorrow. He went out alone on a WHV to assess the situation so to speak. We wanted him to find a job first and suss out what areas would be best for us to look to settle. He has got a job in his trade(carpentry) so we are fortunate for this. What with the new proposed visa charges apparently coming into force 1st September this year, I think several people will be considering whether the grass really is greener on the other side. I dread to think what a visa will cost next year and so on so I feel if we don't do this now, we may never do it. Unemployment is bad in the area we live in in the UK.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
we are nearly ready to lodge our 190 for WA and my husband is already in Perth, having been there 11 weeks tomorrow. He went out alone on a WHV to assess the situation so to speak. We wanted him to find a job first and suss out what areas would be best for us to look to settle. He has got a job in his trade(carpentry) so we are fortunate for this. What with the new proposed visa charges apparently coming into force 1st September this year, I think several people will be considering whether the grass really is greener on the other side. I dread to think what a visa will cost next year and so on so I feel if we don't do this now, we may never do it. Unemployment is bad in the area we live in in the UK.

If a rise in visa charges is going to put you off then it's probably best you save thousands applying in the first place. When we came in 92 it was dire in the UK and it was about the same here. Lot higher unemployment than there is now. We both had good jobs in the UK which we gave up to come here, with nothing to come to.

We didn't think we wouldn't be able to find a job or whether we would return or not settle in, we were just committed to the move and ready to give it our best shot. I was out of work 5 months but my wife is a nurse and got a job after a week. Always felt something would turn up, as I always had in the UK when times were tough. You just have to get through it somehow.

we aren't letting anything put us off. life is too short and we have talked about 'making the big move' for some time now and we are doing it :-)

Good luck! It is great news that your husband has managed to get a job. It must have taken a weight off of your shoulders!

A while ago I was advised to look at the latest edition of the book "What color is your Parachute?".

I was looking for some ideas on career change or just finding a new job. This is no magic wand, just a book that helped many people approaching job seeking and career change with the right set of mind and confidence. Some people loved it and found it very useful, some hated it...

I know how important is to maintain confidence and positiveness when looking for a decent job, hope it helps.

To anyone making the move I would jump at it, the employment rate is the only down side, budget well and be prepared to spent $5 grand a month if you coming to Queensland.

Its a lovely place and employment can only pick up, it can't get worse, well lets hope not.

Good luck.

If a rise in visa charges is going to put you off then it's probably best you save thousands applying in the first place. When we came in 92 it was dire in the UK and it was about the same here. Lot higher unemployment than there is now. We both had good jobs in the UK which we gave up to come here, with nothing to come to.

We didn't think we wouldn't be able to find a job or whether we would return or not settle in, we were just committed to the move and ready to give it our best shot. I was out of work 5 months but my wife is a nurse and got a job after a week. Always felt something would turn up, as I always had in the UK when times were tough. You just have to get through it somehow.

As I keep reminding times were different. Yes the job market was bad but the cost of living was cheap.

To anyone making the move I would jump at it, the employment rate is the only down side, budget well and be prepared to spent $5 grand a month if you coming to Queensland.

Its a lovely place and employment can only pick up, it can't get worse, well lets hope not.

Good luck.

It certainly can get far worse. Wait until the competition really starts to bite. The onus is on lowering costs on all fronts. Wage rates are not productive as they stand. Time will tell but anyone would be taking a risk coming without connections or a job.

I see no indication that things will pick up. There's been a long boom and now that's gone. Things are picking up slowly in the UK. Anyone leaving secure employment in UK without a firm job offer in Oz, or without connections as stated is taking a huge risk coming to QLD. Perhaps there will be more certainty after the election?

>>>>The figures out today paint a pretty dire picture. In the last six months in WA there have been 6000 new full time positions. But the population increased 68000.

But that's not what the figures mean. The net result was that although 6000 new FTPs were created, the population (not necessarily working population!) increased by 68000. This means that 62000 new people are unemployed. This causes the %age unemployed to increase.

On the bright side, if WA stops all migrants, their unemployment figure will decrease rapidly. So it's not like their economy is contracting. It's just not growing to keep pace with migration.

But in the last 6 months WA's unemployment figures haven't increased. The last quarter all the "experts" were predicting an increase and it went down.

Archived