Moving to Perth soon and starting to brick it!

auzziesheila

Paul lives in Perth so speaks from experience. I'll make his point for him though, people often complain: that it is too hot for long periods to do much outside (so the outdoor life is a myth), that even on the longest day the sunsets at just after 7pm (as opposed to 10pm in the UK) and lastly that Australian's work the longest hours and have long commutes (so the same sh*t as London, just a different bucket).

I don't necessarily agree with all those points, but I don't live in Perth (nor would I).

Paul lives in Perth but has to be one of the most negative posters on here about anything ot do with Perth. He just doesn't like it, it doesn't suit him and he doesn't suit it.

Some people complain about it being too hot for long periods. I've been here 22 years and have had maybe a week in all that time that I've felt it was too hot to do stuff outside. That would have been the middle of the day too. I've never known it be too hot whilst at the beach, you just jump in the sea a bit to cool down.

The outdoor lifestyle for most is no myth and if it is it's your own doing. It's light very early in the morning and loads of people get up and exercise before work. Go to any beach in the metro area from abut 5:00am onwards and there will be people swimming, ski paddling, surfing, board training. All ages and a lot of the surf clubs have coaches running training sessions for kids at that time too. Sure the sun sets early but that doesn't stop you sitting outside for hours if you like to. Months on end where it's nice to sit outside, which is the reason lots of people have some fantastic outdoor entertainment areas.

As for the hours of work and commute I've not found working here much different to the UK. I'm in IT, hardly ever worked weekends, only when away on work trips where we have had to get something going. Even then get time off in lieu. Office hours are 9-5 but no-one checks when we come and go. Some of the software engineers are into gaming and don't come in till 10:00. Apparently they stay late, but no-one checks. I commute 32Km one way, drive down the coast road so it's even a nice drive, takes me 45 mins in the worst traffic periods of the day. To compare it to London would be impossible. It's nothing like it. London was almost at a standstill when I worked there in the 80's.

So it all depends which person you get to reply to you. We all speak from experience, some have good experiences some have bad.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paul1977....

you get more family time due to the outdoor life and more daylight hours- more time outside with family....I work in London at the moment and the hours are horrendous, jobs I've looked in Perth seem to offer more flexibility so there is more of a work life balance and therefore family time available

Soph x

This is far from necessary being the case. I worked for about five years so many hours four days a week that I never saw my OH during that time. OK we had three full days together but still wrong to think life balance is necessary in order for all.

It's what you do and how it is managed. I found more time in London for doing things than here but I refer back to 80s and early 90s, prior to the idiotic work culture taking over peoples lives. Biggest con going.

I think your find it gets dark by about 8 in Perth mid summer.. Your get a little bit more light in winter by maybe an hour or so, but overall I think your find both countries have similar amount of daylight over the year. I also think people work the same hours in both countries, only difference is that people tend to start earlier so that mean you get home earlier, but saying that I feel the working day is the same and your find people tucked up in bed by 9 so make of it what you want really

I find I done a lot more during the working week in London than ever done in Perth. So much easier to meet up and socialize. Here in Perth for most it means travel by car some distance and most tend to stop at home during the week.

I don't think you should make such generalist comments as everyones situation is different. Personally my field of work is different in Perth than in London with the option of working from home as flexi hrs which aren't possible in london.

As for 'more outdoor life being a myth', what rubbish! Of course you have a better outdoor life- we love sport and outdoor life...and I speak from experience, I have lived in Perth before and I have family there so I know what it is about.

Realistic comments need to be said for people looking to emigrate, but make sure what you say really is realistic and not just generalist waffle.

And prob not best to comment on a post if you don't live in the region being discussed (and nor would you)

Beg pardon? as I stated, none of the comments are my own. I'm merely repeating what the common complaints made about Perth are. The only thing I have against the place is its location..

you can beg your bardon all you like Peach....but you should really only speak from actual experience. I have never ever heard people say there is no outdoor life in Perth, its a laughable comment! And as for you not liking the location, thats your own personal view- sorry but who cares!

Paul lives in Perth but has to be one of the most negative posters on here about anything ot do with Perth. He just doesn't like it, it doesn't suit him and he doesn't suit it.

Some people complain about it being too hot for long periods. I've been here 22 years and have had maybe a week in all that time that I've felt it was too hot to do stuff outside. That would have been the middle of the day too. I've never known it be too hot whilst at the beach, you just jump in the sea a bit to cool down.

The outdoor lifestyle for most is no myth and if it is it's your own doing. It's light very early in the morning and loads of people get up and exercise before work. Go to aney beach in the metro area from abut 5:00am onwards and there will be people swimming, ski paddling, surfing, board training. All ages and a lot of the surf clubs have coaches running training sessions for kids at that time too. Sure the sun sets early but that doesn't stop you sitting outside for hours if you like to. Months on end where it's nice to sit outside, which is the reason lots of people have some fantastic outdoor entertainment areas.

As for the hours of work and commute I've not found working here much different to the UK. I'm in IT, hardly ever worked weekends, only when away on work trips where we have had to get something going. Even then get time off in lieu. Office hours are 9-5 but no-one checks when we come and go. Some of the software engineers are into gaming and don't come in till 10:00. Apparently they stay late, but no-one checks. I commute 32Km one way, drive down the coast road so it's even a nice drive, takes me 45 mins in the worst traffic periods of the day. To compare it to London would be impossible. It's nothing like it. London was almost at a standstill when I worked there in the 80's.

So it all depends which person you get to reply to you. We all speak from experience, some have good experiences some have bad.

Go any where in the evening past 8 and their all in bed.. Up early bed early here

you can beg your bardon all you like Peach....but you should really only speak from actual experience. I have never ever heard people say there is no outdoor life in Perth, its a laughable comment! And as for you not liking the location, thats your own personal view- sorry but who cares!

You should read more and speak less. Those are the common compliants about Perth on this website. Sorry if you don't like that. My partner is an Australian, I have family in Melbourne and QLD - so a move to Perth would leave us too far from them; that is the only reason I don't like Perth's location. Get a thicker skin, I live in Canberra - most poms don't even want to visit the place!

Guest The Pom Queen

I see you are new to the forum so I understand your frustration. However, if you read Peach's post you will see these aren't his comments but they are comments that are branded around this forum non stop by the Perth haters.

To the OP, it is normal to feel nervous and question your decision. I did a thousand times and nearly stopped our house sale. We have been here over 10yrs now and loved every minute of it.

Go any where in the evening past 8 and their all in bed.. Up early bed early here

Bit of an exaggeration but I wouldn't have expected anything else. I go to bed about 10:30ish and get up at around 5:00 in the summer. Go out for meals and to the pub quite a bit. Wouldn't have been much different in the UK I don't expect, other than not being able to get up and go for a paddle before work. When you have kids, mortgage etc. something has to give.

Going back on track to some of the early post matter.... in terms of hayfever and asthma (the two often go together), moving to QLD has given me a new lease of life in this area! I have stopped suffering to the point that I no longer need medication here!!!! I was entirely dependent in the UK. It's been a total revelation, and I now know how the other half (non sufferers) live for the first time in my life.... This has been truly amazing for me. :)

Hi,

Not posted on here before, but my husband frequents the site regularly.

We put our house on the market and sold it above the asking price within one week we were shocked to say the least! Things are now moving very fast for us and i'm starting to brick it! Were due to leave end of Sept/Oct.

Im sure this is normal but wanted some advice/feelings from others.

I will be transferring wiht my employers, but my husband a Chartered Civil Engineer dosen't as of yet have work. When we visited in April (backround is I grew up in Perth but have been in the UK 10 years now) we liked the area of Woodvale, Joondalup, Edgewater near the trainline. Ive been looking at accommodation rentals intiially but I havent been overly impressed with what I have seen.

I am so concerned I am going to uproot my family and 2.5 year old and I don't know where to base ourselves and where is the best place for childcare it all has to be done via internet which is no where near as good as in person!

We have a lovely home, nice jobs, toddler very settled and UK even had a few nice weeks of summer!

My motivator for returning is I feel I had a great childhood, I think Auz is the land of opportunity but times seem to be changing.

If your in a similar situation or are in Perth now but remember feeling overwhelmed like this would love to hear from you

Thanks x

One size doesnt fit all here in Oz, and nowhere does it say the move has to be permanent regardless of costs. Take note of the positives and negatives but never base your decisions on others experiences, You have a good life in the Uk, it could be better here, it may not, but it will be different and the fact you have even considered the move means you have that itch we all know about. Nervous excitement and an adventure. The kids will adapt . Enjoy it, give it a shot. Its not for life unless you want it to be.

Yep, I'm from Oz, born and bred, though dual nationality through my Dad. I came to England planning on staying for a year long working holiday, but that was over 12 years ago. I met my now husband almost as soon as I got here and extended my stay somewhat! I had a great upbringing in Oz and want to give my kids (2.5 and 5.5) the opportunity to experience life in Oz with my side of the family. Like others have pointed out, a lot has changed since I left, including me, I am no longer footloose and fancy free, and I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not returning to my old life but starting a new chapter in a new place.

How about you auzziesheila, are you from Oz or just spent time there growing up? I know what you mean about missing your son, I work part time here in England but we haven't figured out what we're going to do for work when we get to Oz yet so I know that there is a possibility that I might have to go full time for a while :(

Hi happy little Vegemite!!! My situation almost identical born in UK emigrated to perth age 3 and then moved back to UK at 18! Just done 10 years and I've truly loved it but look back on my childhood fondly and feel kids in oz def get better end f the deal!

When are you moving over then?

X

Bit of an exaggeration but I wouldn't have expected anything else. I go to bed about 10:30ish and get up at around 5:00 in the summer. Go out for meals and to the pub quite a bit. Wouldn't have been much different in the UK I don't expect, other than not being able to get up and go for a paddle before work. When you have kids, mortgage etc. something has to give.

Not really Paul, when I first came to oz I went to a pub midweek and was kicked out at 8 pm as they wanted to close. People here definitely go to bed early..

Hi I've been in australia nearly 2 years now I have 3 children age 2,5,8 .we had a relocation agent she helped me choose a suburb I would recommend canningvale or piera waters as they have good schools for children.also a good nursery too.

go on to my school .au this will give you idea what schools are like in a suburb but there is a lot of bad schools about and I will say the education is not as good as the uk.

stay away from Seville grove Armadale maddington there is a lot of crime over here to if you are on facebook join perth crime it tell you all the crime . I'm thinking of moving back to the uk .dont get me wrong it's not all bad it can be good for the children .

Going back on track to some of the early post matter.... in terms of hayfever and asthma (the two often go together), moving to QLD has given me a new lease of life in this area! I have stopped suffering to the point that I no longer need medication here!!!! I was entirely dependent in the UK. It's been a total revelation, and I now know how the other half (non sufferers) live for the first time in my life.... This has been truly amazing for me. :)

Thats surprising considering QLD is supposed to have the highest pollen count behind NSW! Good to hear your enjoying it. :)

Hi happy little Vegemite!!! My situation almost identical born in UK emigrated to perth age 3 and then moved back to UK at 18! Just done 10 years and I've truly loved it but look back on my childhood fondly and feel kids in oz def get better end f the deal!

When are you moving over then?

X

We are hoping to move over just before Easter next year, to Mandurah. That way we can spend a couple of weeks with family and settling in a tiny bit before my son starts school :eek: The kids and I are off to Oz tomorrow for a few weeks holiday :biggrin: so we'll have a look at a couple of schools and houses and stuff just to get an idea of what's available while we're there.

How about you auzziesheila, when are you off?

Hi we (husband and daughter 20) leave for perth jan 2014. We desperately trying to find affordable temporary accommodation with little success. I'm a midwife, hubby HGV Driver both applying for jobs but no definite offers yet. House on market starting to panic that doing the wrong thing but out one and only chance to do this. Hope I'm jog only one feeling up one min and down next

Hi we (husband and daughter 20) leave for perth jan 2014. We desperately trying to find affordable temporary accommodation with little success. I'm a midwife, hubby HGV Driver both applying for jobs but no definite offers yet. House on market starting to panic that doing the wrong thing but out one and only chance to do this. Hope I'm jog only one feeling up one min and down next

You wouldn't be normal if you didn't feel like this. It's a life changing move and you are going to apprehensive/nervous/scared/excited and a whole range of other positive and negative emotions, but at the end of the day, you only live once and what do you have to lose?

Yes, you're selling your house and moving but these material possessions are replaceable; you can buy another house, find new jobs, acquire wealth/property/cars etc etc as walk down the path of life, but opportunities don't come up everyday and you need to make the most of those that do.

Don't be scared. Remember, you're like Scott of the Antarctic but you're Buttons of Australia :biggrin:

If you can afford to, it might be worthwhile renting your house instead. I've heard house prices in the UK will rise next year and this might benefit you depending on where you live plus it doesn't sound as though you have jobs or a house to come to so worst case scenario you have an out if you need it but good luck on your adventure!

Buttons 1 we are completeley in the same boat. I am transferring with my firm however they are still yet to confirm my salary and offer me a contract despite knowing that I will be moving for the last 12 months. House sold wihtin a week on the market to first time buyers so things going quick on that front. Should exchange early october with a view to getting out then. Were looking at short term fully furnished and then unfurnished long term when our belongings arrive. Can't sort the long term out until we arrive, little point in even looking given they won't allow you to bid for the property without being present and also will not take bookings ie they want it to go the minute they put it on! as for the short term let that is really expensive. Well it seems it like i say my salary hasn't been confirmed yet! It all gets tricky for us as we have to factor in childcare, husband dosent have a job atm so it wouldnt be the end of the world for him to stay at home with little one however for continuity i'd like our nearly 3 year old to continue with some sort of nursery as too long out of it will make it difficult for him to settle back in to the routine.

i'm up and down all the time too!

Hi auzzieshelia I know how you feel we looking for furnished accommodation for three month when first arrive and because its jan and peak season it's gonna cost us around five to six grand which is a huge chunk of our savings. I'm worried about references for long term unfurnished let to as have never rented in UK so no references from landlord. Iv applied for midwifery jobs but heard nothing yet most want me to interview in arrival which is a worry as finances tight. We have a twenty year old daughter who is going to come over a few weeks after us to give us time to get things settled. I really am al over place some days can't wait and feel brave that itl all work out then others I think what are we doing. We have jobs here a house pensions etc but want a better future for all three of us as we rarely see each other here and no jobs for daughter. If you'd like to keep in touch feel free inbox me and il send email address. What part are you moving to? Nice to know others feeling the same

kerry

Hi auzzieshelia I know how you feel we looking for furnished accommodation for three month when first arrive and because its jan and peak season it's gonna cost us around five to six grand which is a huge chunk of our savings. I'm worried about references for long term unfurnished let to as have never rented in UK so no references from landlord. Iv applied for midwifery jobs but heard nothing yet most want me to interview in arrival which is a worry as finances tight. We have a twenty year old daughter who is going to come over a few weeks after us to give us time to get things settled. I really am al over place some days can't wait and feel brave that itl all work out then others I think what are we doing. We have jobs here a house pensions etc but want a better future for all three of us as we rarely see each other here and no jobs for daughter. If you'd like to keep in touch feel free inbox me and il send email address. What part are you moving to? Nice to know others feeling the same

kerry

You're forgetting your Buttons of Australia now, no need to be fearful :wink:.

As for references, both of you should get the agent who is selling/renting your house to give you one about how clean/well decorated it is and take photographs. That should suffice x

Archived