Hopefully this is it!

Maisiemoo

Hi all,

just thought I would say a big hello. After discussing the dream of moving to Oz for about 6 years things over here as finally pushed us to the edge and this time we are giving it a shot. We means me, my hubby and my 2 gorgeous girlies aged 9 and 7 (nearly 8.....that is very important)

my hubby is a Civil Engineer (Project Manager) and younger than me ! So it's all down to him.....currently we both work over 50 hours a week each and its killing us. The north of England is not looking good at the moment and we are really outdoor people and sporty but there is no where to go and the violence and unemployment around us is horrific. We currently live in the 24 most deprived borough! So it's time to do this.....

i will need lots of help so please feel free to throw it at me.....:-)

Good luck. You sound in a bit of the same rut as us when we made the move. We are very outdoorsy and sporty people too and we love it. Everyhting we could have dreamed of. The kids are the same too and have tried all sorts of sports they would not have been able to do back in the UK. Well not without us moving to the coast and buying thick wetsuits anyway.

All the best.

Snap. Last time I checked we live in the 10th most deprived area in the uk with the highest teenage pregnancy rates to boot. My oldest son (20) who doesn't want to come with me is a qualified electrical engineer and currently cleans a department store because he can't get a job in what he trained in. I am going to go on my own with my 6 yr old.

Debs

The north of England is not looking good at the moment and we are really outdoor people and sporty but there is no where to go

I felt exactly the same back in the North West of England, and since I have moved here we are out on almost every day off. Even in Winter (well its been around 20c again) we seem to spend more time outdoors than I ever did back home.

I felt exactly the same back in the North West of England, and since I have moved here we are out on almost every day off. Even in Winter (well its been around 20c again) we seem to spend more time outdoors than I ever did back home.

Hi Paul

Yes thats what we are hoping for..do you mind me asking where in the northwest you were and where you landed in Oz :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Paul

Yes thats what we are hoping for..do you mind me asking where in the northwest you were and where you landed in Oz :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Im from Wigan, and came out here in March. We have a massively different lifestyle here in Cronulla than we could ever of imagined. Its the middle of Winter and yet we are outdoors all the time. Heading down the south coast and national parks this weekend. You just cant compare here to back home. Im not saying everyone will feel like this, but as someone who likes to spend alot of time outdoors, its a great place to be. Back in Wigan we have to go for a long drive to get to anywhere nice, here we have it in walking distance.

Hi All,

Very new to this site, great site though!

Can anybody help us ?

We visited Sydney last year to see our family and friends who moved out to Oz last year and we have fallen in love with the place.

We have 2 young children , 2 and 4 years old, who cried when they found out the holiday was over! And didn't want to get on the plane home (we felt the same way without the tears)

So after long late night chats me and the wife have decided we would love to move to Oz.

Here are our main problems..... My wife is a hairdresser (level 3 NVQ, 17 years hairdressing) , but hasn't worked for 4 years while she have stayed at home to look after the children.

I worked in the chemical industry as a production manager at a chemical plant in the NW of England. My job includes planning, purchasing, transport, exports transport, daily running of the company and sales. We are a 5 million turn over company, which employees 11 staff.

I ideally I would like to get sponsored to move to OZ, do you think that is possible ?

We wouldn't want my wife to work straight away , because she would rather stay with the children while we settle into life in Oz and util they can go to school.

But if its the only option with her being a hairdresser i guess that's the only way we could do it ?

What do you guys think are best options?

Many thanks all !

Hi All,

Very new to this site, great site though!

Can anybody help us ?

We visited Sydney last year to see our family and friends who moved out to Oz last year and we have fallen in love with the place.

We have 2 young children , 2 and 4 years old, who cried when they found out the holiday was over! And didn't want to get on the plane home (we felt the same way without the tears)

So after long late night chats me and the wife have decided we would love to move to Oz.

Here are our main problems..... My wife is a hairdresser (level 3 NVQ, 17 years hairdressing) , but hasn't worked for 4 years while she have stayed at home to look after the children.

I worked in the chemical industry as a production manager at a chemical plant in the NW of England. My job includes planning, purchasing, transport, exports transport, daily running of the company and sales. We are a 5 million turn over company, which employees 11 staff.

I ideally I would like to get sponsored to move to OZ, do you think that is possible ?

We wouldn't want my wife to work straight away , because she would rather stay with the children while we settle into life in Oz and util they can go to school.

But if its the only option with her being a hairdresser i guess that's the only way we could do it ?

What do you guys think are best options?

Many thanks all !

Yes, it's a great site, and full of information!

You should probably start a thread of your own with your query, and you'll probably get more of a response.

Good luck with everything!

:biggrin:

Snap. Last time I checked we live in the 10th most deprived area in the uk with the highest teenage pregnancy rates to boot. My oldest son (20) who doesn't want to come with me is a qualified electrical engineer and currently cleans a department store because he can't get a job in what he trained in. I am going to go on my own with my 6 yr old.

Debs

Debs try and talk your son into coming. I reckon an electrical engineer would be pretty much in demand here. Even if he doesn't come now at least talk him into coming on hols and checking the place out.

Many thanks Del70.

Now this might stupid ... but how do I start a new thread ?

Hi,

to start a new thread you just have to go to the section you think is the most appropriate for it ( Migration issues, News and chat, Chewing the fat). On the left side top of the page - above the posts - will be a green " Start a thread" button. Click on that, rest is self-explanatory:biggrin:. Just want to add that with 2 little children you might want to look for a permanent residency visa instead as that gives you a lot more security that an employer-sponsored one. Good luck with your move.

Debs try and talk your son into coming. I reckon an electrical engineer would be pretty much in demand here. Even if he doesn't come now at least talk him into coming on hols and checking the place out.

I wish that I had decided to come earlier ie before his girlfriend came along. He could have come on my visa but didn't wanna leave his girlfriend. Boo. They have said they'll save up their annual leave and come for 3-4 weeks to visit so hopefully he'll change his mind. I really feel for him. Academics doesn't come naturally to him and he has worked really hard at education all of his life never missing a day. Although he doesn't work where he'd like to work he never misses a day and enjoys going out to work. When he was at college he got 2 student of the year awards. They said that's never happened before. He got one for his academics and one for teaching disadvantaged kids football (which he organised himself and was committed to in and out of term time).

I have another son who is 18 and at college doing a motor mechanics course. Also lives with his bird. He is naturally academic but does nothing with it, preferring to fix cars, which he is very good at. He has got a big personality and makes friends very easily. He'll strike up a conversation with anyone. He sees the good in people and accepts people for who they are. I am very proud of both of them and it will break my heart to leave them behind but they have to make their own choices and I have to accept them. They have both got very nice partners. I wish I could take them all lol.

Debs

We looked into it 6 years ago I think Paul1Perth answered a few of my post back then!! To be honest he was very positive then and seems to still be! so that says something about the place. We would have had 80K equity back then and my husband was lower in his position which would have been easier for him. However the family put pressure on us and we caved in. 6 Years on and we are going to do it. We have to give it a try, otherwise we would always say what if....my hubby had got a few people responding to him for pretty good positions, with full sponsorship and 2 even have offered a family sponsorship which is amazing. The salary works out at $125,000 pa for him So although I know tax is high and cost of living isn't any cheaper surely our quality of life will be....especially down to the weather and outside activities....maybe it s a dream that will shatter but we got to do something :-)

I wish that I had decided to come earlier ie before his girlfriend came along. He could have come on my visa but didn't wanna leave his girlfriend. Boo. They have said they'll save up their annual leave and come for 3-4 weeks to visit so hopefully he'll change his mind. I really feel for him. Academics doesn't come naturally to him and he has worked really hard at education all of his life never missing a day. Although he doesn't work where he'd like to work he never misses a day and enjoys going out to work. When he was at college he got 2 student of the year awards. They said that's never happened before. He got one for his academics and one for teaching disadvantaged kids football (which he organised himself and was committed to in and out of term time).

I have another son who is 18 and at college doing a motor mechanics course. Also lives with his bird. He is naturally academic but does nothing with it, preferring to fix cars, which he is very good at. He has got a big personality and makes friends very easily. He'll strike up a conversation with anyone. He sees the good in people and accepts people for who they are. I am very proud of both of them and it will break my heart to leave them behind but they have to make their own choices and I have to accept them. They have both got very nice partners. I wish I could take them all lol.

Debs

Sounds like you have 2 good kids at least. Must be hard leaving them, my 24 year old has been away touring Europe, Canada and the States and I've really missed him, I'm sure his Mum and Brother have too. They might change their minds later, you never know.

All the best.

We looked into it 6 years ago I think Paul1Perth answered a few of my post back then!! To be honest he was very positive then and seems to still be! so that says something about the place. We would have had 80K equity back then and my husband was lower in his position which would have been easier for him. However the family put pressure on us and we caved in. 6 Years on and we are going to do it. We have to give it a try, otherwise we would always say what if....my hubby had got a few people responding to him for pretty good positions, with full sponsorship and 2 even have offered a family sponsorship which is amazing. The salary works out at $125,000 pa for him So although I know tax is high and cost of living isn't any cheaper surely our quality of life will be....especially down to the weather and outside activities....maybe it s a dream that will shatter but we got to do something :-)

Glad that you're getting round to it. If your hubby's going to get $125,000 that will put him on more than I've ever been on from day one. My wife is a nurse works part time and we get along just fine. Pity you didn't come 6 years ago as things were really picking up then and you would have got a house cheaper and be well and truly settled in now. Oh well, can't look back, at least you're doing it now.

How's the family this time? No pressure or are you just ignoring them?

Glad that you're getting round to it. If your hubby's going to get $125,000 that will put him on more than I've ever been on from day one. My wife is a nurse works part time and we get along just fine. Pity you didn't come 6 years ago as things were really picking up then and you would have got a house cheaper and be well and truly settled in now. Oh well, can't look back, at least you're doing it now.

How's the family this time? No pressure or are you just ignoring them?

Not told the 2 grandmas yet.no point upsetting them Neil wemhavenmore definates however I think they are expecting it. I think they will come over for 3 months a year there friends do it and they have mentioned it. But it's my girls time now and my family and our best friends are very supportive they live in Germany and were due back to Heywood but are now questioning it because of the same fears for the kids.....

I am not bothered if we have to go without. I am fed up of never seeing my kids. I am even giving up my car which I love! :-(.

I will want to work pastime. My career was 17 years with the Halifax and 4 with the council as a operations manager but I also do beautician work which is what I love. So plenty strings to my bow....but to be honest I will do anything if needed.

Not told the 2 grandmas yet.no point upsetting them Neil wemhavenmore definates however I think they are expecting it. I think they will come over for 3 months a year there friends do it and they have mentioned it. But it's my girls time now and my family and our best friends are very supportive they live in Germany and were due back to Heywood but are now questioning it because of the same fears for the kids.....

I am not bothered if we have to go without. I am fed up of never seeing my kids. I am even giving up my car which I love! :-(.

I will want to work pastime. My career was 17 years with the Halifax and 4 with the council as a operations manager but I also do beautician work which is what I love. So plenty strings to my bow....but to be honest I will do anything if needed.

3 months having the in-laws or your parents in the house is a long time. We had my wifes parents and then mine come for long stretches each when we first came. That was enough, all being in one house when we'd been used to our own way of doing things for years. They still try and take over and when they are in holiday mode it's terrible. My wife would come in from work and they would have been lounging around all day, sometimes after us taking them somewhere in the morning and say what's for dinner.

They did help and paid for a few meals out but it's wearing. There are stacks of horror stories about visitors from just about everyone over here, it would make a really funny book.

We decided after the first visit that we would tell them 6 weeks tops. Mine won't be coming anymore as they are in their 90's. Doubt whether my wifes will too as her Mum has alzheimers.

Archived