High School Uniform Fee's

gwolst77

Hi just a general thread regarding school uniform and the high costs associated with it.

My daughter starts public school next year in Melbourne and if we buy only two of each uniform items (when my preference would be at least three items so we only washing them once mid week) it is going to cost between $700 - $1000 that's not including shoes. On top of that not only do we have to buy books and stationary (which fair enough is how it is in Oz) but we also have to purchase iPads for the kids as well

Now I don't have a problem with kids wearing uniform (I'm ex military), the uniform looks nice and I understand the need for separate winter and summer uniform etc etc.

BUT I really have to question the logic around the decision making process that decided that going with jumpers and cardigans for small children that cost $75 and white blouses at $45 each is a wise one. The fact that you can only get these items from one retailer also raises a cynical eyebrow (but that's just me). Why the did not decide to keep the jumpers and winter skirts etc a generic colour so parents can just buy them from any shop is beyond me.

It's a brand new school that only opened this year and from the Facebook group pages connected to it and from what the neighbors say it looks and sounds fantastic. But the Facebook group page is also full of people posting message regarding jumpers and coats etc being lost and for parents to keep an eye out.

Anybody gone through something similar? What ended up happening?

I totally agree, the shocking price of the uniform whether its public or private is certainly one of those things that is much more expensive over here. We are unexpectedly moving house after just one term and the girls will change school, in one term my 10&13 yr old lost 1x bucket hat, 1 x blazer, 1 x laptop (thankfully they turned up as it was over $100 just for the blazer) maybe the schools make money out of the uniform and if so perhaps that is benefiting my kids. However when you have been able to buy a school skirt in M&S for £9.00 it is a bit hard to swallow. One tip is to check if they have a second hand uniform shop. I wasn't told and didn't think to ask. Now I know better and my kids can lump it or leave it, if they have the item in the second hand shop and it is clean and fits then that's what I will be buying. Good luck

You have to buy iPads for the kids on top of uniforms, shoes, stationery and textbooks?? Wow. I thought the school would have provided the iPads at least! That's crazy. But I guess that's the way of the world now. I feel like such an old man typing this, I'm only 21. :laugh: iPads are great though... Good luck. I'm interested to know what school this is as well so I can have a look (as I'm studying a degree in Education at University in Brisbane at the moment) :cute:

The Ipads / Laptops are optional here, you dont 'buy' them ,you pay a fee each year and the school takes care of updates etc,, you do have to pay for any damage, our school charge $50 for the first repair, $100 for the 2nd and $150 a go there after.

As for uniforms, in 3 years i think my son has worn his formal shirt only a handful of times, i definately wouldnt buy 3 sports uniforms and 3 formal as 90% of kids just wear the sports uniform.

The shared resourse scheme is quite good, its around $150 a year if i remember correctly and if you pay school provide a lot of the books your child needs, so you only have to buy stationary, writing books etc. I also learnt quite early on not to buy a full book list as quite a bit of it doesn't get used.

Finally bear in mind if your here on PR you may be entitled to the school kids bonus via Centrelink, this is just over $800 per year for a high school student ($420 for primary age) so certainly evens out the costs , the fact its paid in 2 instalments throughout the year i also find helpful.

Cal x

I guess if it is a new school that rules out 2nd hand stuff? I'd be off to Big W to get white shirts, PE stuff, trackie daks etc and only pay full price for things you absolutely have to get from the school. I'd be willing to bet that is what most would do if it is a state school!

To be honest I find it just the same as when we were living in the UK. My children went to state school there and the school uniforms at both the primary and HS (which my daughter attended for 3 months prior to moving) were extortionately priced because they were monogrammed - separate PE kits etc, even my daughters skirt had the school crest - they have you over a barrel.

I went to school here so was used to the uniform thing, actually found it weird seeing school uniform in asda, all schools the same etc. I know if I was a parent i would prefer asda :). memory is fading now with age :) but I am 95% you couldnt just wear a blue poloshirt, it had to be the blue one with the school logo embrodid on it, otherwise it was detension for not being in uniform. Its better being a boy in school here as the girls uniforms are much nicer to look at ;)

I was in the School Uniform industry for "many" years so have a good understanding of this issue. Schools treat uniforms as almost a walking advertisement for there school, Smart, well made uniforms have the effect of saying this is a school that has a strong pride in what they offer to children, it also shows disapline in requiring a child to wear the uniform correctly and if a child misbehaves outside of school hours it is very easy to know which school they attend.

Many Many schools are now opening there own uniform shop manned by volunteer parents. The schools tend to take the step on putting some sort of name or logo on each item of uniform to make it easy for the school to identify any child who has not bought from the uniform shop. The uniform shop in a school has become a "major" fund raiser for the school With parents time poor and unable to offer time to school fetes and the like it is the profit from the uniform that funds such things as sports equipment and if it is a large school as many are these days it can even fund such things as new basket ball courts. Uniform suppliers are very aware of the costs of uniforms and thus many now source uniforms from China and India BUT now we have the issue of poor quality and errors. In a state school situation a dye lot error may not be such an issue but in a private school situation a wrong dye lot, or slightly wrong design can cause huge issues as the uniforms have to be returned to China or India and replaced which can mean months before the uniforms arrive again, that is why a small number of suppliers are now looking at manufacturing back in Australia but that again increases the cost. It does in fact take as much time to sew small fiddly items as it does to make larger adult garments and that contributes to the costs. On the upside, a well made modern looking uniform can actually in the long run save money as the child is not asking for a designer this or that because Jonny has one, it also stops comments and bullying by those who can afford designer clothes and those that cant. Just a few comments hope it helps.

Have to say just moved my daughter to a new school and I've just forked out $600 for a uniform for term 3 and 4, next year the whole uniform changes and will proberbly cost me $1000 and if your kid arrives in non uniform items they're sent home. But the school shop was great and offered 'pre loved' and made suggestions on how many shirts etc, they recommended less than I was thinking and encouraged me to buy aged 8 for a 5 year old so staple items like shirts, socks, bathers etc will last a few years! The school are also very good in ensuring the kids don't dirty their clothes and whilst I had to pay $20 for the regulation art smock it's been worth it in preserving the uniform! This is a private school and everything is dictated even down to the hair ribbons, at my daughters last school there was a uniform, many didn't bother and there were awards in assembly for wearing your uniform!, I do think its a big chunk in one go but over the year I save loads in clothes I would otherwise have had to buy. I also find that the fact it's so regimented and non discriminatory totally equals all the kids who come from many different socio economic homes and in the case of my daughter has instilled a discipline that just makes life so much easier 5 days a week!!

I have to just point this out as I've never forgotten it!! At my daughters last school (she's 5 so were talking pre primary but it's compulsive this year!) I once witnessed a parent drop their child off in their dressing gown, they had clearly not even brushed the girls hair or brushed her teeth, this was shocking to me. The kids wore variations on the uniform and my daughter was coming home regularly asking me to buy shoes like Lucy's and glittery leggings like Chloe's, it starts so young these days so I find a strict uniform policy harsh in the beginning but fair over all.

My son is in Kindy and a Kindy T-shirt is optional (but all the kids wear them so there is no real choice if you want your child to fit it). They are $15 a pop which struck we as very expensive for a green t-shirt that (minus the logo) would have been $5 in k-mart.

Some of the responses on here have been similar to the ones posted on the FB group page for school.

As I stated in my first post I want the kids wearing a uniform looking smart and have a strong identity with a school they want to be proud off.

However I still don't think that having jumpers that cost $75 + achieves this, why can't the jumpers be between $25 - $50 (depending on sizes). I also think that especially for the very younger kids items like polo shirts, jumpers and trouser should be ones that you can buy from any retailer as long as the match the required standards (colour, length style etc).

The fact that there is a usually a second hand clothing program I believe vindicates my point of view. I know there are always be people who need help but why implement something that creates an above average demand from the off set?

Archived