Maths Homework help please

tonyman

tonyman is it not meant to be the opposite when going back?.....as in 14 - 1 rather than 14 +1........have a look......I could be wrong but I think theres a mistake and possibly where its gone skewiff......maybe elsewhere too.....please don't shoot me down if Im wrong though :) ?

I've printed a couple off as I have a maths teacher coming tmoz to give my 3 girls extra lessons ,then I will get him to show us , but this has to be in by tmoz so she will just have to ask! just note at the top where it says 2 numbers are negatives ???? that through me a little .........thanks for your help guys ....but if someone can fill it in for me that would be good and I can see where ive gone wrong .......

At times like these I wish exercises like this one were given at interviews, because I would ace them. Instead they ask me 'What is your passion?' and other crazy stuff, at which point all I can do is cry.

At times like these I wish exercises like this one were given at interviews, because I would ace them. Instead they ask me 'What is your passion?' and other crazy stuff, at which point all I can do is cry.

I got asked that at interview once. My answer was "chocolate". I didn't get the job. Funny that!

You know why I like the English language so much (and read in English a lot, and write and speak it so well)? Because there are times when I can say "Read'em and weep."

7 14 13 26 20 21 7 14 10 7 16 8 8 5 2 10 17 24 6 2 8 5 45 15 14 20 16 8 -2 6 5 10 2 8 24 72 63 9 18 15 12 10 9 18 6 2 16 25 100 20 18 9 27 35 7 0 0 4 8 1 1 4 12 60 30 21 3 10 18 26 13 18 6 -2 9 3 6 12 24 13 5 30 10 8 12 17 15 5 20 17

Now I'm just hoping that it's error free. Guess your daughter will find out! (Joking aside, I tried my best and think these are the correct numbers.)

The contributors to this thread are invited for a beer when all of us are in Perth, right tonyman?

Boring old git rant coming up...

I was GOOD at math 50ish years ago and, with lots of concentration can work that out--or can if I zoom my screen in far enough to tell the difference between the division sign and the plus sign.

However, I can't for the life of me work out what practical maths a problem like this is trying to teach. Strikes me that it's much more an exercise in concentration than actual mathematics. I can see the beginnings of this kind of thing in the maths homework that comes home with my eight year old. They haven't bothered doing any exercises in memorising times tables or whatever but, instead, get brain teasers like this one (though a bit simpler). What's wrong with learning the basics instead? If this is the maths of today I can see why people working on check outs can't work out simple change without a calculator.

You know why I like the English language so much (and read in English a lot, and write and speak it so well)? Because there are times when I can say "Read'em and weep."

7 14 13 26 20 21 7 14 10 7 16 8 8 5 2 10 17 24 6 2 8 5 45 15 14 20 16 8 -2 6 5 10 2 8 24 72 63 9 18 15 12 10 9 18 6 2 16 25 100 20 18 9 27 35 7 0 0 4 8 1 1 4 12 60 30 21 3 10 18 26 13 18 6 -2 9 3 6 12 24 13 5 30 10 8 12 17 15 5 20 17

Now I'm just hoping that it's error free. Guess your daughter will find out! (Joking aside, I tried my best and think these are the correct numbers.)

The contributors to this thread are invited for a beer when all of us are in Perth, right tonyman?

Nice one Levi............yes we are all invited .........when you here pal?

Levi , the 11th and 12th box from bottom I just cant get my head round .........7-9 =16 ? its not a plus ect ......and I know that's where I started going wrong

Remember you are working backwards Tonyman.

The 7 -9 requires a +9 to give an answer of 16.

When you then read the sum forwards it gives 16 - 9 = 7

Christ tonyman, you made me panic there for a moment. I was quite sure I nailed this one, but then scrolled down and saw dmjg's comment. Yes, you have to think of it like this: "What minus 9 equals 7?" Or any other number and operation between.

When will I be there.. good question, I will be shootin' up some IELTS examiner ass and when I am done with that then perhaps we'll get some decent speed on this migration thing. Or, I will get there sooner with a working holiday visa - but I still haven't read about it on immi site.

Boring old git rant coming up...

I was GOOD at math 50ish years ago and, with lots of concentration can work that out--or can if I zoom my screen in far enough to tell the difference between the division sign and the plus sign.

However, I can't for the life of me work out what practical maths a problem like this is trying to teach. Strikes me that it's much more an exercise in concentration than actual mathematics. I can see the beginnings of this kind of thing in the maths homework that comes home with my eight year old. They haven't bothered doing any exercises in memorising times tables or whatever but, instead, get brain teasers like this one (though a bit simpler). What's wrong with learning the basics instead? If this is the maths of today I can see why people working on check outs can't work out simple change without a calculator.

These are basic skills. +, -, x , / (no proper division sign on iPad)

The work is also highlighting problem solving skills.

People are getting confused. How could this sheet be re written to make it less confusing? Maybe if that problem is sorted first, the whole task may become extremely easy.

Going a bit deeper, all questions are linked. Kind of like life. All answers we generate now will influence answers we give in the future.

I agree about the lack of times tables knowledge. But parents and governments demand primary schools have a varied curriculum. That leaves less time for basic Maths and English.

After all, we need to learn Chinese or other languages before we become proficient in English, don't we???:arghh:

I'd never get a job if i had to do this test, never got past GCSE maths but forgotten most of that now apart from the basics. Then again my jobs have been all unqualified ones

These are basic skills. +, -, x , / (no proper division sign on iPad)

The work is also highlighting problem solving skills.

People are getting confused. How could this sheet be re written to make it less confusing? Maybe if that problem is sorted first, the whole task may become extremely easy.

Going a bit deeper, all questions are linked. Kind of like life. All answers we generate now will influence answers we give in the future.

I agree about the lack of times tables knowledge. But parents and governments demand primary schools have a varied curriculum. That leaves less time for basic Maths and English.

After all, we need to learn Chinese or other languages before we become proficient in English, don't we???:arghh:

Yeah, I see that the actual maths involved is basic stuff--just not the point of having to reverse such a long list of operations.

I was actually wondering if this was trying to introduce some of the skills of algebra without the scary x. After all, the last box are just a silly way of representing something like:

x/2=7 (again no division sign) and so on.

Personally, I find "reversing" more confusing than solving for x but that's just the way I was taught. In any case, I can see far more real world applications for a bit of algebra than a long series of boxes. Believe it or not, I still use algebra in my daily work at age 60!

Archived