Child care rebate

Lakaal

We are looking at child Care costs at the moment. We have 3 children age 8,3,1. Cannot believe how expensive childcare is going to be. People are saying you get 50 percent back IF on a permanent visa but that has a cap of 7500 per child.

so really looking at just the 2 youngest at full time day care

450 a week each that's 900 a week so 46,800 a year.

And then we get 15,000 back ( 7500 per child) so childcare a year for these 2 will be 31,800 ???

Is that right? 2650 a month!!!Just for the 2 youngest

please tell me I am missing something here?

I will be on a salary of 65,000 giving me a net income monthly oF just over 4000 so nearly all my salary will pay for childcare.

Yes it is expensive but I used to pay 49gbp per day in the UK which is roughly $81, but didn't get any back as a rebate so its actually cheaper here as I pay $90 per day and get half back.

Are they in full time childcare in the UK at the moment? AJ is right it still does work out cheaper than in the UK in a lot of instances especially if you use the cost of living conversion of about 2.2 to 1 dollar.

We are on a 457 with no rebate at all so doesn't make it worth me working.

Are you the main earner?

Thanks for replies. I will be the main earner for a while until husband gets work. I only have the children in 2 day childcare here in Ireland, a childminder comes to the house and that costs 80 euro a day which is 114 aud. but your right if I was to put them into a crèche here I would not be able to afford it.

AJ do you just pay half the fees until you reach the 7500 rebate amount and then have to pay full fees For rest of the year?

Thanks for replies. I will be the main earner for a while until husband gets work. I only have the children in 2 day childcare here in Ireland, a childminder comes to the house and that costs 80 euro a day which is 114 aud. but your right if I was to put them into a crèche here I would not be able to afford it.

AJ do you just pay half the fees until you reach the 7500 rebate amount and then have to pay full fees For rest of the year?

I only have her in 2 days a week so don't know what happens if you reach that.

Ah yeh that would be perfect . It's more expensive for me as they will both be in full time so would reach the 7500 Rebate cap quite quickly. A years care will cost 46,800 and I will only get 15,000 back so it will be 31,800 a yer for the two younger so if you break that down daily will be 87.00 a day and then 22. For my eldest in aftershool so will be 100.00 a day after rebate.

Personally I think that people should be paying more for child care as children are our most precious commodity if you like and why would we want cheap care.

Pay peanuts you get monkeys,.

I never thought I should get anything for having my children I had them because I wanted them and they were my responsibility. We go no child allowance or anything bringing them up and wages were a lot less then.

Be grateful for small mercies.

The problem is there are so many people with so much who want more. Entitlement where did that word come from.

Sorry do not mean to rain on your parade but children are not money makers.

Personally I think that people should be paying more for child care as children are our most precious commodity if you like and why would we want cheap care.

I never thought I should get anything for having my children I had them because I wanted them and they were my responsibility. We go no child allowance or anything bringing them up and wages were a lot less then.

The problem is there are so many people with so much who want more. Entitlement where did that word come from.

You are entitled to your rant but please be aware not ALL people think they are entitled.

1)I was quite happy to pay full price(as I did in the UK) as it is my choice she goes to day care, it was the daycare centre who advised me to apply when I enrolled her and why should I say no when there is people happy to take any benefit they can get whilst sitting on their ar*ses and not doing a days work!

2) I only have her there 2 days a week as until she is at school full time I want to spend time with her so my career has taken second place so not everyone considers there children to be Money makers and I certainly do consider her my responsibility but it is also good for a child to mix with others and being in daycare part time allows them to do this.

Child Care Rebate is only payable if BOTH parents work/study for 15 hours + per week. Child care can be pricy but I have to say I have been very impressed with my experience of it here in OZ. I work P/T and husband F/T, the facility I used was lovely and very geared up for OSH and school holidays. After establishing myself with my employer they've now been very flexible and adjusted my working hours to school hours which has been great and my daughter has a ball in the school holidays going on all the trips the vacation club organizes. Whilst it can be expensive just wanted to reassure you that in my experience it has been excellent for my child.

I am not even going to take the time to type a reply to what I consider to be a rude, insensitive and downright stupid comment.

But everyone to their own opinion and all.

I am amazed at someone saying that they are only getting $15000 back rebate for child care. That is a lot more than I get from the UK Age pension and not far off my private pension(UK) that I worked for more than 20 years in one company.

Any child care we used when our children were young had to be paid for in full with no rebate.

Mike

Hopefully you will not have to put them into care before your husband is working. In that time you will also receive family tax benefit as your family income is so low. And yes, after the rebate it is full price.

Hi Lakaal

The $31,500 (after rebate) you'd pay for 2 preschoolers in full time childcare in Melbourne sounds roughly the same as you'd pay for the same service in Dublin. I dont know where in Ire you are but creches around Dublin are approx €900 per month for one child (sometimes more, they can be €1,000 or even 1,200)

But say if you got a creche for €900 per month (which is what I pay here), so €1,800 for two children. For the year thats €21,600.. which converts to just under $31,500.

Maybe as you have 3 children an au pair may work out cheaper?

Mike

Cant help but reply. I dont get any child rebate or anything remotely like it here in Dublin. Childcare is so expensive in Ireland that it prices mothers out of the work force after they have two+ children. It simply doesn't pay to go to work for a lot of mothers here at the moment, which ultimately is bad for the economy and doesnt do anything to help financial stagnation both on a personal and national level.

Providing a childcare rebate if it promotes mothers being able to get back into the workforce, pay tax, contribute financially and be able to afford just to even get to work everyday, should not be scoffed at. Your pension whatever story is frankly irrelevant to the OPs question.

Petals, get a grip. Its not about 'wanting more' as you put it. Its about being able to afford to go to work. Yes maybe wages were less in your day but cost of living was also a lot less. Ever hear of the double income trap? Its where a lot of middle class workers find themselves in this day and age in order to pay for the basics, mortgage, transport, healthcare, groceries, utility bills.

You say you never thought you would get anything for having your children, you had them because you wanted them. OMG seriously, why do you think people still continue to have children? Yes its because they still WANT them and don't expect to get anything for them. But forward thinking governments know that if mothers can't get out to work because the cost of childcare exceeds wages, the country's tax take and growth is affected. So seriously, its not about mothers on the take, its about mothers contributing.

WOW i never go on an internet rant because generally I couldnt care less about what people post, but your comments are so ignorant they made my blood boil.

What about the single Mums that have no choice but to pay for childcare? Do you think child care costs should be raised for them too?

Poverty, a lot of people are living in it, which means their children are too.

Your argument is a little flawed.

We are looking at child Care costs at the moment. We have 3 children age 8,3,1. Cannot believe how expensive childcare is going to be. People are saying you get 50 percent back IF on a permanent visa but that has a cap of 7500 per child.

so really looking at just the 2 youngest at full time day care

450 a week each that's 900 a week so 46,800 a year.

And then we get 15,000 back ( 7500 per child) so childcare a year for these 2 will be 31,800 ???

Is that right? 2650 a month!!!Just for the 2 youngest

please tell me I am missing something here?

I will be on a salary of 65,000 giving me a net income monthly oF just over 4000 so nearly all my salary will pay for childcare.

You are missing something but it may not help you much depending on your income. The payment you are talking about above is the childcare rebate. There is also a payment named childcare benefit.

Maximum childcare benefit of around $200 per week per child is paid for a child in full time care if the family income is only $41,902.

This payment is reduced by a certain amount for every dollar the family income is above $41,902 until it cuts out completely when your family income passes $150,914 (when you have two children in care).

Depending on your income you will also be eligible for family tax payments as well.

I am amazed at someone saying that they are only getting $15000 back rebate for child care. That is a lot more than I get from the UK Age pension and not far off my private pension(UK) that I worked for more than 20 years in one company.

Any child care we used when our children were young had to be paid for in full with no rebate.

Mike

if you paid a private pension in UK I presume you were living there whilst your children were growing up, I agree you proberbly didn't get any child care help but presumably child benefit, small though it would have been, would have helped. Child Care Rebate is NOT a benefit, its not means tested as child benefit never was, its a little bit of help to families who find BOTH parents have to work, in today's Australia unfortunately many families find both parents have to work, the better option I think to having to claim state benefits and a good example to children growing up seeing their parents work hard for what they have.

You will be eligible for child care rebate if one of you is not working but is looking for work. You will also likely, from what you've said, get child care benefit, rent assistance and family tax benefit part A and B initially, with one of you working and one looking for work. It will change as your circumstances change but is all designed to support people returning to work I think.

Best bet is to get on the human services website and play with the online calculator. Then you will know exactly what you are eligible for based on your circumstances.

I am not even going to take the time to type a reply to what I consider to be a rude, insensitive and downright stupid comment.

But everyone to their own opinion and all.

Sorry you think its rude but a lot lot lot of people think that middle class welfare is unbelievable as they have had to struggle to bring up their children and now have to live on pensions less than child care.

Come the election I think you may find that a lot of attention is going to be made to this.

Looking after ones own children is a delight, not a sacrifice.

Why should others pay for bringing up our children.

• 1 month later...

Some people just completely insist on having these things referred to as “kids” and one of the big things a father or mother has to give is child care during infancy and early childhood. It's not exactly inexpensive either, as child care costs have been accelerating away for a while. Moreover, finding affordable, quality childcare is not always easy.

Archived