annabel

Hey,

Me and my boyfriend are coming over in november'13 for a year or two, just wondering what bank is the best one to go with? If any one could leave any comments it would be great, just need to sort the little things out now.

Also if any one knows about any good insurance companies, thats not to expensive?

Thanks

:smile:

how about transferring money over from a UK account? Im sure i found one whilst looking a few months ago that allowed a traveler to open an account before entering the country and transferring money in...

would this be a good idea? or should we wait until we can walk into a branch? im just thinking if we're stopped at border control and asked to show finances etc..?

how about transferring money over from a UK account? Im sure i found one whilst looking a few months ago that allowed a traveler to open an account before entering the country and transferring money in...

would this be a good idea? or should we wait until we can walk into a branch? im just thinking if we're stopped at border control and asked to show finances etc..?

I thought it was fairly common to allow a traveller to open an account and transfer money and that this was possible with all of the main 4 at least.

Anabel,

I went with NAB, set the account up while in the UK, picked the card and pin up at a prearranged bank when I got to Australia. I have had no problems with them at all and everything was very easy to arrange. I ended up with a mortgage and credit card from them.

Good luck on your move.

Me and my friend signed up for a NAB account through the link at the top of this page and was straight forward process and have even downloaded the NAB app on our phones so it's easier to keep a eye on out money for when we are over in aus. We also set up a moneycorp account again from the link above which allows free transfers from your uk bank account into your aus bank and only take two days to appear in your account :) Both accounts set up are free :)

Guest The Pom Queen
Nab have no monthly fees but charge you $9 to deposit a cheque.

What's a cheque :confused: Lol . Seriously I have not seen a cheque since living in Australia apart from when buying a house or car and they want a bankers cheque.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
"Cheque, Savings or Credit"....what does this mean? :chatterbox:

Lol it confuses me and I've been here years. On our bendigo account we can use cheque or credit, both come out of our current account, credit the company pays the fees, cheque you pay.

For our other bank account we use savings. I have given over trying to understand it all lol

We bank with HSBC in the UK and have opened our accounts in Australia with them here. The benefit of this is that you get your cards sent the UK and they are able to vouch for your credit record. They would be the only bank in the UK to offer that service, so it is a decent proposition. All you do is apply on the phone and go to a branch with your ID. It was very easy.

We bank with HSBC in the UK and have opened our accounts in Australia with them here. The benefit of this is that you get your cards sent the UK and they are able to vouch for your credit record. They would be the only bank in the UK to offer that service, so it is a decent proposition. All you do is apply on the phone and go to a branch with your ID. It was very easy.

The only issue with HSBC is they're a tiny bank in Australia, very few branches and far between them. Not sure if the have an ATM agreement with one of the other banks, if not you'll pay a fee each time you use one.

Vouching for your credit record is rarely an issue, everyone starts with a clean slate in Australia. So apply for loans, credit cards etc is easy once you have a few payslips.

Archived