The Good thing about the Heat Wave

Petals

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Im sure its the same for people in aus who work outside, must be horrible sometimes plus not everybody has a pool. I'd have to get a little paddling pool like you get from argos lol.

I dont go and sit outside for that long tbh but im enjoying the sun mostly, saves me from taking my vitamin D tablets for a while!

Make sure you don't work on a building site then........ Steve, lol

Air con cars, air con work places and air con houses, it isn't difficult to have all of these and we never felt too hot, unless we deliberately went out in it, which we did to the theme parks, but I said to the wife, yeah it's hot here, but we wouldn't be doing this if we lived here, we are only doing the parks cos we are on holiday.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF
The climate in Perth is excellent.. There was only about 5 days out of the whole of last summer that I felt it was too warm.

We were up at kings park in January and it was 42 degrees and it was scorching hot, hotter than it has been here in the UK and we sat under the shade of the big trees eating an ice cream and drinking a cold drink and it wasn't a problem at all. We got back and went in the pool, had a Barbie sitting outside under a canopy and it wasn't too hot at all. But the humidity here in the UK just recently has been horrid, but if w had air con, it would have been perfect weather.

Guest Ptp113
It's made me think about wether I should reconsider moving to a really hot country like australia. I guess theres always tassie lol

Why do you think everywhere is hot apart from Tassie?

Hoff you were in Australia on HOLIDAY!Its not the same as when you are living in the heat.I don't really mind hot weather,guess I am used to it having spent 30 summers in Australia,but it can become quite debilitating after a while.Its quite nice to be able to switch off the air con,and cook dinner without sweating all over it!:cute:Working in it is a different story.Ok if you're working in an air con building,stifling if you're not.We usually holiday in very hot countries and tbh 2 weeks of it,is really enough.I'm not the type to bake myself on the beach all day,an hour is enough.Atleast when the big chill hits,we can embrace it knowing we had a fab summer!Enjoy whilst it last folks!lol

I'm a bricklayer in brisbane. Can't say we often struggle with the heat. We are Aussies , we don't know any different. We get on with it. We grew up in the heat. I've worked as a brickie in England through a winter. I know what I'd prefer. I never struggle with the heat. I'm a tropical climate type of person.

You guys should be enjoying this weather in the uk. I know my family are loving it. Just got of Skype. Their moods all look great and its good to see. Usually their whinging about the weather.

I'm a bricklayer in brisbane. Can't say we often struggle with the heat. We are Aussies , we don't know any different. We get on with it. We grew up in the heat. I've worked as a brickie in England through a winter. I know what I'd prefer. I never struggle with the heat. I'm a tropical climate type of person.

You guys should be enjoying this weather in the uk. I know my family are loving it. Just got of Skype. Their moods all look great and its good to see. Usually their whinging about the weather.

Thats it tho isnt it i guess,altho mates in Perth say they quickly acclimatised to it,ive worked in minus 15 here in 81,wasnt great,but we got on with it, just like you do in the heat.

Ive never been a big sun lover,about 20 degrees suits me, i dont really think,or moan about the weather here tbh,it is what it is,rain offs i can do without tho

Thats it tho isnt it i guess,altho mates in Perth say they quickly acclimatised to it,ive worked in minus 15 here in 81,wasnt great,but we got on with it, just like you do in the heat.

Ive never been a big sun lover,about 20 degrees suits me i dont really think,or moan about the weather here tbh,it is what it is,rain offs i can do without tho

yer mate, you do acclimatise to it. I work with alot of brits. when they are fresh of the plane it takes a bit of getting used to, but i have found they adapt to it. Bit like me when I'm in the uk. Find it bit tough at first , then get used to it.

Working with a bloke at the moment from Oxford. We all turn up to work in the morning here in track suits, its bit chilly first up in the morning, he turns up in his shorts and a singlet. Has a laugh at all us rugged up.

yer mate, you do acclimatise to it. I work with alot of brits. when they are fresh of the plane it takes a bit of getting used to, but i have found they adapt to it. Bit like me when I'm in the uk. Find it bit tough at first , then get used to it.

Working with a bloke at the moment from Oxford. We all turn up to work in the morning here in track suits, its bit chilly first up in the morning, he turns up in his shorts and a singlet. Has a laugh at all us rugged up.

Yeah i know mate,worked for an Aussie lad here in UK for about a year,he said it took some getting used to initially,he's been here 12 yrs now,decided to make it home,he likes going to Europe for concerts and weekends away,plus he's married a brit,his choice to stay here tho he was telling me the other day

I can get used to this! As long as we have either air con or more fans in the house! It's been nice sitting outside in the garden every day :) and really wanting to see a thunderstorm tonight or tomorrow too, all part of the fun! As long as no one/nothing gets hit, of course.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I can get used to this! As long as we have either air con or more fans in the house! It's been nice sitting outside in the garden every day :) and really wanting to see a thunderstorm tonight or tomorrow too, all part of the fun! As long as no one/nothing gets hit, of course.

Yeah, it's been great, it reminds me of when we are on holiday, especially in Australia where it's all geared up for great weather like we have just had, it's a major reason why I want to emigrate.

Hoff you were in Australia on HOLIDAY!Its not the same as when you are living in the heat.I don't really mind hot weather,guess I am used to it having spent 30 summers in Australia,but it can become quite debilitating after a while.Its quite nice to be able to switch off the air con,and cook dinner without sweating all over it!:cute:Working in it is a different story.Ok if you're working in an air con building,stifling if you're not.We usually holiday in very hot countries and tbh 2 weeks of it,is really enough.I'm not the type to bake myself on the beach all day,an hour is enough.Atleast when the big chill hits,we can embrace it knowing we had a fab summer!Enjoy whilst it last folks!lol

I agree, a holiday is nothing like working and living there.....I found the heat in Perth unbearable on site as did most of the Aussies to be fair....but at least the winters are cold...infact bloody cold.

Keep in mind though that the UK is not geared up for the heat! The houses the workplaces the shops pubs and restaurants don't take into consideration the sun and the heat. Australia does, everywhere is air conned , there are shaded areas everywhere, it's all well thought out. You'll be right! :wink:

Whilst it's true about the shops etc, I wouldn't agree about the houses. Some ours but ours certainly isn't (it's only about 14 years old). If it's 30C outside then it's 37C inside. We have some air con units but you have to stand right underneath them. We have a temperature thing and it dropped 1C after an hour of air-con and it's around 8ft from the unit. House isn't built for the cold either - gets down to single figures in the house on cold winter mornings.

The way a lot of the houses are designed and built is bizarre given the climate here.

The good thing about living in Perth and the heat is that we have the beach on the doorstep. When we had good weather in the UK the roads to the coast, Lake District used to be packed. If you didn't start off early when you fancied a day there you would be stuck in traffic the whole day. If you did get there early it felt like the rest of the UK had the same idea.

When we had weather like that I needed to be near or in water for sure. We had one 50m outdoor pool not that far from us and it used to get packed when the weather was good. I was one of the sad types who went most weekends, rain or shine, as I used to like swimming. I took up windsurfing in the UK too and loved it when the weather was nice. Remember more times being in a 6mm wet suit than I do days when we could get about in shorts and a rashie though. Water was always cold, even on nice days.

Im sure its the same for people in aus who work outside, must be horrible sometimes plus not everybody has a pool. I'd have to get a little paddling pool like you get from argos lol.

I dont go and sit outside for that long tbh but im enjoying the sun mostly, saves me from taking my vitamin D tablets for a while!

We don't have a pool Stacey, we live near the beach so I guess that's one reason, the other one was the eldest was only 2 when we got the house and my missus was more worried about maybe him falling in one than us having the luxury. tbh we have loads of friends with pools and other than getting in for a quick cooling dip they aren't meant for swimming. If we had a pool it would have to be a 25m lap pool minimum.

What we do have is the beach close and plenty of 50m outdoor pools, kitted out for hot weather, plenty of shade, water splash areas for kids, usually airconditoned gyms as part of the complex too.

We know we are going to get a few months of good sunny weather here so the place is kitted out for it.

I agree, a holiday is nothing like working and living there.....I found the heat in Perth unbearable on site as did most of the Aussies to be fair....but at least the winters are cold...infact bloody cold.

It's cold in the mornings at the moment PB. 2 degrees at 7:00am Saturday for the start of our ski paddle. 10:00am was blue sky and 18 degrees, couldn't get the youngest out of the water, "one more wave" he kept saying.

You're right Melza, it's even better when you live here.:cool:

The good thing about living in Perth and the heat is that we have the beach on the doorstep. When we had good weather in the UK the roads to the coast, Lake District used to be packed. If you didn't start off early when you fancied a day there you would be stuck in traffic the whole day. If you did get there early it felt like the rest of the UK had the same idea.

When we had weather like that I needed to be near or in water for sure. We had one 50m outdoor pool not that far from us and it used to get packed when the weather was good. I was one of the sad types who went most weekends, rain or shine, as I used to like swimming. I took up windsurfing in the UK too and loved it when the weather was nice. Remember more times being in a 6mm wet suit than I do days when we could get about in shorts and a rashie though. Water was always cold, even on nice days.

You really did suffer in the UK you poor soul Paul.....you really were unlucky as it seems it always rained on your parade....maybe just maybe your mind just remembers the bad times and not the good, I don't see the same things you experienced in the UK to be honest...then again I never saw this wonderful Perth you keep banging on about....:wink:

It's beautiful outside today, gorgeous blue skies 18C, 22C tomorrow but chance of a storm. The thing is the too hot days are few and the too cold days are few in between are glorious days, one after another.:cool:

Pity you live in snoozeville though init....:yes:....if carlsberg did boring states.

You really did suffer in the UK you poor soul Paul.....you really were unlucky as it seems it always rained on your parade....maybe just maybe your mind just remembers the bad times and not the good, I don't see the same things you experienced in the UK to be honest...then again I never saw this wonderful Perth you keep banging on about....:wink:

That's 'cos you were supposedly working night shift and getting mugged by nasty people in Northbridge.

Cheers, Bobj.

That's 'cos you were supposedly working night shift and getting mugged by nasty people in Northbridge.

Cheers, Bobj.

Northbridge....ahhhh I remember it well...what a shitte hole that was, and a dangerous place after midnight.

That's because you don't like the heat or the beach, you spent your Christmas so pissed with your mates that the Christmas turkey you had left out and not put in the fridge was festering when you woke up (according to a past post) and you never got out of Northbridge.

Actually I didn't suffer in the UK, loved it when I was growing up there, had some great times as a teen and 20's especially. Nipping off to Spain, Greece, Portugal with a bunch of mates, plenty of girls with the same idea. When it came time to settle down with a family though here is much better for us.

Try getting out of Statford Upon Heaven one weekend whilst the weathers nice and head to the coast and you'll see what the traffics like. Can't have changed that much unless the price of fuel is so high that people can't afford to do it any more.:cool:

That's because you don't like the heat or the beach, you spent your Christmas so pissed with your mates that the Christmas turkey you had left out and not put in the fridge was festering when you woke up (according to a past post) and you never got out of Northbridge.

Actually I didn't suffer in the UK, loved it when I was growing up there, had some great times as a teen and 20's especially. Nipping off to Spain, Greece, Portugal with a bunch of mates, plenty of girls with the same idea. When it came time to settle down with a family though here is much better for us.

Try getting out of Statford Upon Heaven one weekend whilst the weathers nice and head to the coast and you'll see what the traffics like. Can't have changed that much unless the price of fuel is so high that people can't afford to do it any more.:cool:

why go to the coast when there are better places inland...beaches are boring, I like to explore places, the Cotswolds on my doorstep, Derbyshire where I can walk for hours and not see another person....hot boring beaches,....nahhhhh.

Archived