More reassurance please

coleraine64

Hi everyone. I have been off and on this site for a while now and honestly can say that I can't wait for our move to Tasmania, Hobart area early next year. My problem now is that my other half is having doubts :nah: he turns 54 this year and is frightened that his working life will end as it will be too hard for him to find work and our social life will be non existent!!!! I am happy to go with the flow and give it a try. Ideally we would love to run a bed and breakfast, that would keep him busy, boarding kennels or just breed Airedales but he is now panicking. How can I convince him otherwise. We are making our second trip to Tassie, albeit only for 4 days from Perth early next month. Would anyone be willing to meet up with us for a social drink to promote this lovely state to him. A big ask I know, but any help much appreciated. Thanks. Anne :rolleyes:

You probably won't be able to convince him, he will have to suck it and see and, TBH, at his age I'd be thinking the same things. Unless he has a spectacular in demand skill set his chances of finding work are not great. If you're minted and can afford a business (bang goes your social life) then it shouldn't be a problem to be self employed of course. Good luck!

Whilst it is a beautiful state,there are not too many employment opportunties, unless like Quoll says, Hubby has a spectacular in demand skills set.

Dog breeding would be a hobby, not an income.There is a very limited population here for buying puppies, so you will probably have to export to the mainland.Dogs are 10 a penny here, and you can pick up pups for very little money or as Give-aways in the local papers.

You probably would not see very much profit from breeding

Kennels require lots of licensing, and depending on the area you choose,it may be scenic protected and find it very difficult to get a licence for kennels

Also be aware that the council can revoke your licence at anytime, and it does happen

We know a lady who has spent $thousands and $thousands building kennels/cattery and now because of 1 complaint from a neighbouring property (albeit a fair way away), the licence has been revoked.

There are lots of Tourism businesses for sale,so that may be an option, but make sure you know the area very well,and due dilligance is of the upmost imortance, as there are a lot of businesses struggling and selling up.

Edited by Sapphire

I was talking to my friend today who had to leave Tazzie due to lack of work, she said there was work there...but they would only give the jobs to locals...and by that i mean local Australians only, even if they couldn't do the job! But they'd rather employ these than highly qualified people who weren't local...

I was talking to my friend today who had to leave Tazzie due to lack of work, she said there was work there...but they would only give the jobs to locals...and by that i mean local Australians only, even if they couldn't do the job! But they'd rather employ these than highly qualified people who weren't local...

Ah well- that's Tassie I guess- but with high unemployment I can understand that.

Ah well- that's Tassie I guess- but with high unemployment I can understand that.

Yes your right, I didn't necessarily disagree with this either, but to employ someone not even qualified is a bit much. But it's not always a bad thing.

local Australians only, even if they couldn't do the job! But they'd rather employ these than highly qualified people who weren't local...

That's absolutely not the case where I work. I work with other English people, an Italian, an Argentinian, Indians, Chinese, a Croatian, New Zealanders, Dutch...

I don't doubt that in some places local is best but that's certainly not the case everywhere.

Not sure if turning 50 makes you washed up! A friend of a friend of mine in Adelaide recently got a job in a bakery fulltime and she's 61!The owners reckon the older employee's are better as they work hard and are reliable with good work ethics!She's also not Australian.

Really depends where you are even within a state.

In Adelaide city centre it is always hotter than up in the hills sometimes as much as 10 degrees over a 45 minute drive!

Altitude can make for microclimates. The Adelaide hills are wetter, cooler, breezier and mistier than the suburbs down nearer sea level.

It is all relative - surely there are places in WA like that?