Rental agent - not seen ours in 7 months!

Not wishing to jinx things but would you think it odd not to have an inspection or seen/heard from your agent in seven months. On signing they said to expect an initial inspection after three months and six monthly thereafter. It's a big, well known agency.

We have provision in our leases for inspections every 3 months (we have short term rentals, so they are more regular than your normal longer term rentals). However unless we think there may be a problem of some kind which needs to be addressed (eg. damage, cleanliness, unpaid rent, noise problems, excess people staying at the property etc) we tend to leave our tenants in peace and not interrupt their peace and quiet.

As a landlord I would have expected them to do an initial inspection after three months. That way they can double check everything is working properly and discuss any issues the tenants may have. It also will give them an indication of how the tenants are looking after the property and influence further inspection times.

I do think that they should have made some contact by now, but it is up to the landlord to push them - or for you to contact them if there is a problem I guess.

Ours is every 3 months...tick list...make sure you took any pictures of damage etc before you moved in, otherwise they may try to hold your bond. Probably too late aster 7 months in. we made sure the dates were on the pictures. When they came round this time they tried to pick at stains on the carpet etc, OH said we have taken pics as they were here when we arrived.

They only came again the other day, so we got then to fix a few things.

Just had our first one after 2 years after we asked if we could sign up a 12 month lease, I have carried out a fair bit of work to improve the property ,new floors ,ceiling fans,bench tops,sink and taps all with landlords permission , he has just increased the rent by $25 per week ,won't let us sign up on a 12 month because he wants to increase rent in 4 months , looking for new place now will take out what I have put in and he can have it back like we started with

Just had our first one after 2 years after we asked if we could sign up a 12 month lease, I have carried out a fair bit of work to improve the property ,new floors ,ceiling fans,bench tops,sink and taps all with landlords permission , he has just increased the rent by $25 per week ,won't let us sign up on a 12 month because he wants to increase rent in 4 months , looking for new place now will take out what I have put in and he can have it back like we started with

Make sure you kept all the old crap you took out!

I hate having inspections although fully understand why they are carried out. We had one at 3 months then our second last week (9 month point). Both were fine and they are really pleased. I say they because on both occasions the manager and the landlord has turned up for the inspection!! :rolleyes:

Guest guest30085

How I would love to be a fly on the wall when the Landlord takes possession of the property again and thinks he can make a killing on rent now his house is all new and shiny . . . then he walks in and all the old crap has been re-instated :laugh: Brilliant

My properties are inspected at regular intervals, once after 3 months and every 6 months thereafter. This is standard in VIC.

If you haven't seen the agent in 7 months they're not doing their job but that isn't your problem.

BB

Archived