More northerners than southerners

paul1977

Yep same here! Don't hear many English accents about but if we do hear one passing...it's always a northern, Irish or Scottish accent.

i however am from the south of uk, but born in the north and lived there till I was in my teens, then moved to the grotty south till we migrated! So ultimately I'm a northerner :yes: with a southern accent!!

Most of the northerners will be trades and able to earn way more than the southern monkeys. Funny how you describe northerners as people above Watford, to us your a southern monkey if you live bellow Derbyshire.

If North Perth is full of "northerners" it must be a great place to live as we notherners are salt of the earth (Yorkshire men even more so) and ive not met anyone from England leaving the Uk because of the northerners.

I think there are a few reasons.

1. A lot of Northerners would have the skills in mining and associated industries that are on the list. More so than Southerners I reckon. They would have more skills in financial management, office work etc.

2. They would probably have more to gain and would maybe be moving from "rougher" areas.

3. A lot of people from the North loved going to the seaside for their holidays and it was always a real treat as a kid to stay by and see the sea every day for a couple of weeks. That feeling of anyone who lived near the sea was lucky never left me. When the chance came to be near the sea and have a nice climate we jumped at it.

We have a few friends who are from the South and they seem to be plasterers, Joiners or some other trade involved in the building game. I have one friend who I went to uni with. Lived and worked in London for a few years, lived in Windsor, was a European Sales Manager and wanted to get out of the rat race, as he put it, and emigrate. He got knocked back when he applied as his skills weren't on the list, even though he had a degree in economics and a high profile job.

He was most upset that an ex-coalboard person like myself had got in and he couldn't raise the points. He was put in the pool and 2 years later managed to get in. He's had a struggle to find work at the level he was used to though and is now contracting to an oil and gas company.

Most of the northerners will be trades and able to earn way more than the southern monkeys. Funny how you describe northerners as people above Watford, to us your a southern monkey if you live bellow Derbyshire. If North Perth is full of "northerners" it must be a great place to live as we notherners are salt of the earth (Yorkshire men even more so) and ive not met anyone from England leaving the Uk because of the northerners.
never heard the one about being below derby your classed as a southern monkey , it's quite funny.. I've nothing against northerners, I work with a few and there are southern tradesmen as well. We're not all city traders

never heard the one about being below derby your classed as a southern monkey , it's quite funny.. I've nothing against northerners, I work with a few and there are southern tradesmen as well. We're not all city traders

You know the posts that highlight how Aussies don't like poms and vice versa, something I've not really come across btw, just seen it mentioned by a few others. Well I think we don't have to look very far from home for people that aren't supposed to like each other. There was no love lost between Yorkshire and Derbyshire guys when I was growing up in Chesterfield. We used to go to Sheffield a lot for stag nights and the accent stood out to the locals. I've been in a few more fights and kicked out of a few more clubs than I care to remember. Just because we came from the next County, 15 miles down the road.

Same for Yorkshire people coming in the Chesterfield I might add.

Funny how you describe northerners as people above Watford, to us your a southern monkey if you live bellow Derbyshire.

Agreed, Chris. I think there's a bit of a mix up when people say north of Watford and you're a northerner they might want to say north of Watford Gap services on the M1, near Rugby which is sort of recognised as the N/S divide. I'm from Oxford, north of Watford on the map, (google map). There's no way we're flat cap wearing, clog trotting, black pudding munching, coal mining, chips in gravy northern types! :-) We're far too posh, smarmy and supercilious...

My opinion, more push factors from the north of England and Aussie visa system geared towards skills/trades (lower trade wages in north than south of England) rather than the finance jobs in the South.

makes sense. I can hardly keep a straight face when people on here try to make out the uk is better than Australia. but that could be because of my location. maybe if I could afford a 300k house ina nice little village down south I would think it was great as well. instead I live in an area of high unemployment the weather is poor every lunch time I go into town and see the scum of the earth wandering aimlessly around.

Living down south doesn't mean you have a brilliant job or house etc lol, i'm as south as you can get (apart from the isle of wight) still want to go to Australia though. (I have a nice job but not in the greatest area lol though i'm sure if i had my license we could move some where nicer)

I don't notice this in Sydney at all

Good!

I don't notice it either in Sydney, maybe it a Perth thing. Although as I was reading through I was thinking, here is a thread full of southerners commenting upon how many northerners they come across.... with the odd northerner chipping in here and there. Sooo amongst the sample size of this thread, southerners definitely seemed to be more prominent (although I didn't count).

I did a tot up of northern / southern Brits that I have come across and it is about even tbh.

I think there are a few reasons.

1. A lot of Northerners would have the skills in mining and associated industries that are on the list. More so than Southerners I reckon. They would have more skills in financial management, office work etc.

2. They would probably have more to gain and would maybe be moving from "rougher" areas.

3. A lot of people from the North loved going to the seaside for their holidays and it was always a real treat as a kid to stay by and see the sea every day for a couple of weeks. That feeling of anyone who lived near the sea was lucky never left me. When the chance came to be near the sea and have a nice climate we jumped at it.

We have a few friends who are from the South and they seem to be plasterers, Joiners or some other trade involved in the building game. I have one friend who I went to uni with. Lived and worked in London for a few years, lived in Windsor, was a European Sales Manager and wanted to get out of the rat race, as he put it, and emigrate. He got knocked back when he applied as his skills weren't on the list, even though he had a degree in economics and a high profile job.

He was most upset that an ex-coalboard person like myself had got in and he couldn't raise the points. He was put in the pool and 2 years later managed to get in. He's had a struggle to find work at the level he was used to though and is now contracting to an oil and gas company.

I am really not so sure about your rationale there.

- I am a northerner but have never met anyone that works in mining or related industries

- my friends and family that remained in the north all got onto the property ladder well before I did and have highly manageable mortgages (slightly less salary but more than compensated for). I'd rather live in Harrogate than Brixton. When I announced as a 25 year old that I was moving to London, my parents were terrified for my safety.

- the UK is an island and northerners are on average as close to the "seaside" as anyone else, for what it is worth, which is in any case not that much in UK is it?

Completely separately, I have an OH from Nottingham, no way would either of us ever consider that to be Northern. North of Derbyshire is just about northern.

I am really not so sure about your rationale there.

- I am a northerner but have never met anyone that works in mining or related industries

- my friends and family that remained in the north all got onto the property ladder well before I did and have highly manageable mortgages (slightly less salary but more than compensated for). I'd rather live in Harrogate than Brixton. When I announced as a 25 year old that I was moving to London, my parents were terrified for my safety.

- the UK is an island and northerners are on average as close to the "seaside" as anyone else, for what it is worth, which is in any case not that much in UK is it?

Completely separately, I have an OH from Nottingham, no way would either of us ever consider that to be Northern. North of Derbyshire is just about northern.

You would struggle to find many people working in mining and related industries now, that's for sure, they mostly disappeared during and after Maggie's reign. I was one though, did my apprenticeship and worked for the National Coalboard for 10 years or so. I've met a lot of Northerners who are fitters, welders, platers, machine operators who's skills were no longer required in the UK but fit very well here.

I'd rather live in Harrogate than Brixton too. But I would rather live in Teddington or Richmond than Harrogate. I see your point about the property ladder. Don't know how some people even make a start in London but they somehow seem to manage. A lot of people made a killing at one time when they sold property, be it North or South, but most are in negative equity now.

There's seaside and seaside in the UK though. We were about as far from any coast as you can be in England. Right in the middle of the Country. Our seaside visits were Skeggy, Rhyll, Blackpool, Scarborough. When I was older I went on holiday with a friend to Bournemouth and realised what a nice English seaside place with a great beach could be like. Fair enough Scarborough can be nice about 2 days a year. The South Coast is OK. Rest of the time I used to go to Portugal, Greece, Spain, France, like most other holiday makers in the UK.

You're other half is a bit strange if he doesn't see himself as a Northerner. All around Birmingham is generally accepted as the midlands so I reckon anything above that is Northern. Nottingham was another place we used to go doe stag nights and it's only about 15 miles away, next county to Derbyshire.

You're other half is a bit strange if he doesn't see himself as a Northerner. All around Birmingham is generally accepted as the midlands so I reckon anything above that is Northern. Nottingham was another place we used to go doe stag nights and it's only about 15 miles away, next county to Derbyshire.

What's considered "Northern" is usually relative....most Geordies I know see Mackems as southern, and anyone beyond that as terminally effete. I worked with a bloke from Orkney once......he referred to anything from John O'Groats down as "South" with the emphasis on the capital S!

There has always been more of a need to migrate from the North due to lack of work. The South has always had work and has a better standard of living in the UK. People live longer.

​To be fair Perth seems full of New Zealanders and Irish mostly, Northerners aren't that prominent any more

​Bloody Kiwis and their Jandals Lol

Archived