Is it fair/worth it

lotte25

Hi I am looking for advice from anyone who has moved from the uk to oz and taken their dog. How was ur dog throughout the process and how are they now their settled.? Myself and my boyfriend are planning to immigrate to oz been thinking of it for couple of years now and finally doing things about it. We have a 4yr old choc lab who is my life and I can't imagine being without him. I'm just worried its a lot to put him through?

​also couple of weeks ago we lost our older dog has anyone taken their dogs ashes?

We too are having the same issue we don't know if it will be cruel on our lab plus it is so expensive . When we look at rental accomadation there isn't a lot that let you take pets

Yeah we've noticed that too, we're goin to Melbourne and staying with family for a bit and once we're settled and got jobs we'll send for dog.... Just worried about him. I think it would be a great life for dogs tho

WE are lying to Australia in July and we have rehomed our dogs. Our older dog had epilepsy and is on medication twice a day....I honestly think the flight would have killed her. Someone has happily taken on both dogs as we didn't want to split them up and really couldn't afford the money to take both of them.

WE are lying to Australia in July and we have rehomed our dogs. Our older dog had epilepsy and is on medication twice a day....I honestly think the flight would have killed her. Someone has happily taken on both dogs as we didn't want to split them up and really couldn't afford the money to take both of them.

Awww gosh! I couldn't imagine having to do that! But obv you did what you had to and at least you know they will be well cared for. Our plan is to leave our dogs with my parents over here for 6 months until we get settled in over in Oz then look at getting them shipped over, i am concerned about the flight but they are only young so i imagine it might just be a little disorientating, must be more stressful on older dogs i'd imagine. Really nervous about it actually!

Awww gosh! I couldn't imagine having to do that! But obv you did what you had to and at least you know they will be well cared for. Our plan is to leave our dogs with my parents over here for 6 months until we get settled in over in Oz then look at getting them shipped over, i am concerned about the flight but they are only young so i imagine it might just be a little disorientating, must be more stressful on older dogs i'd imagine. Really nervous about it actually!

Yeah I'm really nervous too! Wish I could take him on as hand luggage lol! When do u leave

Hey there!

If you look on my previous post I have written you will read that I have done this journey afew times with my animals.

i can honestly when I had to make the same decision 7yrs ago for my black lab I was unsure what to do. People thought I was crazy the amount of money it was going to cost. But to me she was my baby lol.

I think we worry way to much!

honestly they take it all in there stride and just get on with it. Labs are probably one of the best breeds as they are so relaxed . She was 5 when we first sent here over to perth, she only had to do 4wks in quarantine, which you can go and visit them and let them out for a run, I used to turn the water tap on and shower here down so she was nice and cool for a while. take lots of treats soft toy.would advice visiting them just makes them feel settled and you feel better for seeing them.They will probably recommend you don't but I believe I know my own dog. ( just means they have clean pens earlier )

Honestly she was not bothered by the travel and you would never have know. They also really adapt to the weather. She had the run of the pool very spoilt lol

We then retuned to the uk 3 years after which she came back with us then later retuned to oz 15months after that due to ommitments along side my 16 yr old cat came with us I had taken on, soft touch I am.

Yes it did cost me a small fortune but I wouldn't have been with out them, they give me so much pleasure. Animals get shipped all around the world everyday, they just get on with it.

PLEASE PLEASE make sure you double check your paper work as you will read I have had good and bad experiences ie : paying for my dogs to do 6 months in quarantine because a vet wrote wrong dates down ,but thankfully they have done away with that in the uk unless you animal is carrying rabies.

i would do it again and don't regret it, and for anyone reading this I don't have loads of spare cash lol but you just have to work together and you will get there. If your in suffolk / essex border I have used pine hawk kennels and pair air. Both have been doing it along time.

I used to always put in a blanket or a soft toy that had been near you for your scent to comfort them, always keep copies of paper work with you as we'll as the ones that fly with them. If your going to perth there's a lovely vet called Angie at dog swap.

Please make sure you keep all boosters up to date even if you think you will never return to uk, you just never know and don't want to be stuck with having to wait 6 months for test results.

I never bothered with insurance as to me no price could put a price on my animal if something happened plus I was watching the pennies.

Hope this advice helps and settles some of your worried ones. I've been there!!!!!!,

Hey there!

If you look on my previous post I have written you will read that I have done this journey afew times with my animals.

i can honestly when I had to make the same decision 7yrs ago for my black lab I was unsure what to do. People thought I was crazy the amount of money it was going to cost. But to me she was my baby lol.

I think we worry way to much!

honestly they take it all in there stride and just get on with it. Labs are probably one of the best breeds as they are so relaxed . She was 5 when we first sent here over to perth, she only had to do 4wks in quarantine, which you can go and visit them and let them out for a run, I used to turn the water tap on and shower here down so she was nice and cool for a while. take lots of treats soft toy.would advice visiting them just makes them feel settled and you feel better for seeing them.They will probably recommend you don't but I believe I know my own dog. ( just means they have clean pens earlier )

Honestly she was not bothered by the travel and you would never have know. They also really adapt to the weather. She had the run of the pool very spoilt lol

We then retuned to the uk 3 years after which she came back with us then later retuned to oz 15months after that due to ommitments along side my 16 yr old cat came with us I had taken on, soft touch I am.

Yes it did cost me a small fortune but I wouldn't have been with out them, they give me so much pleasure. Animals get shipped all around the world everyday, they just get on with it.

PLEASE PLEASE make sure you double check your paper work as you will read I have had good and bad experiences ie : paying for my dogs to do 6 months in quarantine because a vet wrote wrong dates down ,but thankfully they have done away with that in the uk unless you animal is carrying rabies.

i would do it again and don't regret it, and for anyone reading this I don't have loads of spare cash lol but you just have to work together and you will get there. If your in suffolk / essex border I have used pine hawk kennels and pair air. Both have been doing it along time.

I used to always put in a blanket or a soft toy that had been near you for your scent to comfort them, always keep copies of paper work with you as we'll as the ones that fly with them. If your going to perth there's a lovely vet called Angie at dog swap.

Please make sure you keep all boosters up to date even if you think you will never return to uk, you just never know and don't want to be stuck with having to wait 6 months for test results.

I never bothered with insurance as to me no price could put a price on my animal if something happened plus I was watching the pennies.

Hope this advice helps and settles some of your worried ones. I've been there!!!!!!,

Thanks very much for your post, it has calmed me down slightly. Now that we are packed up, I have really starting worrying over my two pooches. The other day, I thought I cannot be that selfish. I spoke to my husband and he said the best place for my two is with me. Now that Byford in Perth has closed I now have to inflict another flight on them and won't have the luxury of being able to visit them. I think they will adapt and I honestly won't know what they will think to go from the life of luxury and pampering with tickles on the settee to spending 22 hours in a wooden box and then sleeping on a concrete floor for a month:cry:

Our dog is 13 and luckily my mum is going to have her. We worried about the dog more than anything else. There's no way we would rehome her with strangers - we love her so much, but she is old and gets very stressed and anxious. We decided that the best option is to live with my mum, who has known her since she was a pup.

We will miss her so much though.

I think everyone has to look at there situation at the time and do what feels right for you and your animals.

it's lovely for them and you if you can find someone who is kind enough to take them on. Don't forget guys we have the amazing technology of Skype so we can see how there doing and talk to them. My cat used to come running every time she could see me and here my voice which was lovely.. ...

I didn't know Byford quarantine wasn't there anymore? Where do they have to go now?

For me it was a no brainer. It's costing us a lot and the timings mean we've stayed longer than we'd wanted to, but honestly, she is so worth it. I have had to negociate and try hard to get her at all as she's technically owned by my mother but I wouldn't be going with out her. Most of all, she will be very comforting when I'm missing my family and need a piece of home. She flies on the 24th of June with Pet Air/Qantas, and I'll see her again a month later as she'll be in kennels in Sydney and we'll be in the Gold Coast. I'm having her flown up with Jets Pets for a small fee, and hoping she won't hold it against me that I can't visit her.

We are looking to start our scary large extremely brave new journey early next year . One of the things we are worried about is the lack of properties that allow pets in does anyone have any experience with this any info would be much appreciated

We would have rehomed our dogs with my mum but she has decided to sell up and move to Tenerife since we are heading to Oz. There were no other family members that could take them but they have a new forever home, and I see pictures of them on Facebook often. I miss them both so much, and have cried lots over my decision, but I do think it was the best for our dogs...I would be worried that my dog would have a seizure during the flight and have to lie in her own filth as anxiousness made the seizures worse.

I'm glad I did this thread now as I seem to not be alone! Rolo is fit and healthy so I'm sure he'll be fine and I agree it's a piece of home when you get homesick! I don't keep we'll myself I suffer badly from anxiety and he gets me through the day so I don't think I can go without him!

It wasn't even a discussion for us, pets are for life and our stance was that either we all go or none of us go. However after the quarantine experience I can understand why some people will leave their pets behind. Of course the vast majority of pets come out of quarantine none the worse for it but be of mine had a really difficult time in there being cooped up n this echo rid concrete cells. At least there are things you can do for dogs to make it more bearable, like send the walkers in on a regular basis, there is nothing you can do for cats.

When the day comes to pick them up from quarantine, it will be the best day you will have during that first month of getting here. Pets really help with the settling in and I have found no truth in the claims tht it is hard to find rentals with pets, albeit I had to with two cats not a big dog.

I can imagine even after all the stress and confusion of flying and quarantine, cats & dogs will be so delighted to see their owners again :) and indeed, what a great life a dog would have in Oz!!

I am sending my rats to their new home on Friday as I leave the country soon on my WHV, it's breaking my heart so much I can barely look at them. They don't live very long so the chances of them being around when I get back are pretty slim. I'm so sad about it tonight :( sitting having a cuddle with them on the sofa & feeding them loads of chocolate xx

Our two labs got out of quarantine a couple of weeks ago and truthfully at first they were def not themselves. I don't think it was so much the flight but the stay in the kennels that was the issue for them. As Rupert says all that barking and sleeping on concrete floors took its toil. One ended up with kennel cough too.

although I was overjoyed to see them, for that first few days I did wonder if we had done the right thing as they had been staying with family back in the UK and were having a nice time. I did feel very guilty that I was the cause of them been out of sorts.

glad to report though that they are more or less back to their old selves and loving the beaches and as a family it's made the move complete having them here.

My two dogs arrived a month ago after their 30 days in quarantine, I wrote about the whole experience extensively in an earlier post. I could not have left them behind, they are my family and it is wonderful to be enjoying australia today. They have easily settled into their new life, despite a week of Kennel cough caught in quarantine & enjoy their walks on the beach and swims in the sea. Yes it was expensive but I was prepared to live on Cornflakes for a while to have them with me!!

Despite all our concerns we have about how they will cope, our pets have an amazing ability to constantly surprise us with what they can cope with, in my experience its the humans who worry the most and the reunion is certainly worth the stress & strain of the whole experience!!

My advice is if you can,bring them with you, everything else is a whole lot easy once they are with you!!

• 2 weeks later...

I brought my two jack Russell's with me as I couldn't / wouldn't have moved without them, however I was in two minds about bringing the youngest one as she didnt like traveling in a car let alone traveling in a car from Yorkshire to London then on a plane. Not only that but she was scared of most men and was a nervous dog in any new situation. My neighbour loved her so much and was heartbroken when I said she was coming with us as I think he would have kept her! But I figured it would be hard or her but she would get over the stress. 3 weeks after coming out of quarantine she died at only 2 years old. I'm still not over it, I don't know why she died...she struggled to go for a run when in England she ran marathons with me! So was the whole process to much for a nervouse dog? Or maybe some Australian creature poisoned her! I will never know but I do sometime wish now I had let my neighbour care for her.....my other dog is as fit and healthy as ever and loving the beach :)

We brought our two dogs over to melbourne with us and we wouldn't have it any other way. Our old English sheep dog is a big baby and although he was very nervous when we first laid eyes on him in quarantine, as soon as he seen us he went nuts and has never looked back. Our Siberian husky, was absolutely fine, I don't even think she missed us at all :-) We visited every time we were allowed ( I think it was 3x a week) picking them up and bringing them home just put the icing on the cake for us. They absolutely love it here and I would do it all again in a heartbeat :-) we worried about finding a rental after searching for pet friendly homes, but luckily another member on here told us to apply for homes even if they didn't say pet friendly, we did and got accepted for the first one we applied for, despite the house being a brand new build, very expensive, solid wooden floors downstairs, plush carpets upstairs etc So don't let the fright of not finding somewhere put you off bringing your beloved pets with you. There are always plenty of homes to rent with your furries. They have also helped us make loads of new friends by coming up and talking to us about the dogs :-)