Are law firms still sponsoring?

kazzo96

I turned down a fairly good training contract opportunity in the UK on completion of my LLB (Bachelors) in hope that I could follow a new path here in Australia. After hearing many good stories that people were moving to Sydney and places alike, to practise Law.

I understand there is a requirement to study a few modules in order to hold the relevant level of education in Australian Law, but am struggling to find any information or even job opportunities which may help in my decision to go to university here. The high international student fees worry me with no real prospect of actually finding a job at the end.

At which point I get to my question as to whether anybody has any success stories in finding sponsorship in the legal sector or in fact know of any firms known for helping UK educated bodies in becoming a lawyer in Oz.

Is is a bit of a far out question and Im really just trying my luck for a bit of a nudge in the right direction.

Any replies will be so very kindly appreciated.

As i undertand it, the requirement to do a few more modules applies to people who are qualified solicitors rather than new graduates. You should check this out very carefully - you do not go from being a graduate to qualified in Australia without undergoing a further course or articles of clerkship (or both depending on the state). There are hundreds of applicants for good training places and you are unlikely to get one with an English degree. You are also unlikely to meet the academic requirements and will have to do a lot more study. I have known people who have almost had to redo their degree.

City firms are currently making people redundant so sponsorship seems unlikely or a graduate.

Contact the relevant admission board in the state you are interested in, and they will give you some guidance. Google "admission to practise in x state" and it will help.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but don't burn your bridges in the UK until you have the full picture. If you complete your training contract in the UK you will be much more attractive to employers and the market may have improved by then.

You're mad to turn down training contracts in the UK, do you know how hard they are to come by? And, sorry to be blunt, but you're not going to get sponsored as a law graduate....if you think about it, why would they sponsor someone who is not qualified and has no experience in the legal sector in Oz over the Australians who tick those boxes, especially when jobs are hard enough to come by as it is?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you wanted to come to Oz as a lawyer you should have really taken up that training contract in England. They are like gold dust over there and so hard to come by. If you haven't been admitted in England then you stand virtually no chance of being sponsored by an aussie employer - I know a couple of people who have come over on 457's as qualified lawyers and been sponsored, they are having to undertake 4-6 modules at Uni to then be admitted to practice here.

Without being admitted to practice in the UK the aussies won't accept your LPC, which means you'll have to do that again here (called the PLT), along with the modules that they require. Part of the PLT is work experience which you'd need to have a valid visa in Australia to be able to do - so catch 22 really. Even if you were qualified in England you couldn't pass a skills test for immigration until you were eligible to be admitted to practice in Australia and to do that you need to study their courses.

We made a similar mistake in that we thought it would be easy for my OH to qualify over here (he has law degree & LPC but wasn't admitted to practice) after a year of investigating the avenues available and getting the WA Law Society to assess his qualifications (and we have PR through my sponsorship) we've concluded that although he could, it would mean me supporting him for 2 years whilst he completed the modules and PLT and $20k being thrown at yet more legal qualifications and no real guarantee of a job at the end of it - as he'd be competing with all the other aussie recent graduates, yet be 10 years older.

Archived