What are the little things you're looking forward to when you move back???

Guest Geordee

Great thread.....dare I start?

- Christmas as it should be....not just in my opinion but the perception of EVERY christmas card every produced!

- Going to our local village christmas crib service on xmas eve (5pm ish) with our children and for them to learn the meaning behind xmas (and im not even religious)

- Going to a friends house/the pub after said crib service for a christmas drink buy the open fire...then braving the cold again to go home and get the kids to bed before 'he comes'

-Boxing day walk before going home for a cold meat lunch and watch the boxing day football fixtures

-Going to see my boys in a christmas nativity play

-changes in the colours of the landscape, you feel like you have lived in 4 different places in one year.

-blackberry picking

-harvest festival

-summer evenings and summer mornings when the birds actually sing rather than the squawking sound

-fishing, and I mean proper fishing, in a local pond that is hundreds of years old

-the buzz of a live football match, especially under flood lights

-buildings, town, shops and cafes and pubs on the high street, not in an OTT shopping centre or a long line of pubs/bars on a beach front

-the smell of the english countryside

-not worrying about any wildlife or any marks that show up on your skin

-NOT hearing the loud drone/rumble of the V8 and V6 cars

-feeling part of life and what it means

-a choice...of anything and everything, be it food, to beer to cheese to holiday destinations

-harvest time, when you can bike down a country lane and watch the farmers until gone 10pm....

-sunday roasts with whoever, whenever

-a BBQ being a rarity to look forward to...

-mates, proper school mates of 25 years

-summer village fetes

AND IM ONLY 30......

I emigrated here for a healthier outdoorsy life for myself, my wife and our 2 small boys.....the outdoorsy concept has not failed to deliver, but healthier....hmm.....its a tough one, the sun here is relentless (yes i had read somewhere that the sun shone here before i moved) but does sunshine mean healthy, a tan looks healthy but.....

I find myself daily looking at elderly people in the shops/supermarkets and seeing how bad their skin is.....do i want that.

Anyhow, going off topic here.

For however long we stay Im glad we tried this, nothing ventured and all that, but i dont see oz as a long term thing but am gonna enjoy all it has to offer and all the sunshine until we head 'home'

Dan

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to live in a small town of medieval origins with many fine old buildings (many dating back to the Tudor period). The first year my now husband (who is Australian) was in England we went down the pub Christmas Eve (the pub being very old, with beams, fire, good beer etc). When we left to walk home on a cold crisp night through the old town streets the church bells were ringing for Midnight Mass. Now that's a proper Christmas!

I used to live in a small town of medieval origins with many fine old buildings (many dating back to the Tudor period). The first year my now husband (who is Australian) was in England we went down the pub Christmas Eve (the pub being very old, with beams, fire, good beer etc). When we left to walk home on a cold crisp night through the old town streets the church bells were ringing for Midnight Mass. Now that's a proper Christmas!

that post could end this thread and NO ONE would object!

Guest Guest 47403
Baz-

I was a TV tech and I remember well doing service calls all over East Dorset and West Hampshire where there were many backyard pools, some elaborate such as on the West Cliff Overdrive in millionares row, and some at more humble abodes such as mine where I dug my own pool by hand with a shovel and pickaxe. Not all pool owners in Bournemouth were seriously wealthy people, just people who chose to spend their money on a nice home and back garden and drive around in an old 1964 Vauxhall Victor like me. Incidentally, Parleycross, I can remember doing a service call at Gallows Drive in West Parley and admiring their backyard pool (with no fence).

Tony

Absolute rubbish.

Show us on google maps where all these UK swimming pools are at the average house, you've got a vivid imagination.

As I said before rose tinted glasses work both ways, your view of the UK is not what I see.

Absolute rubbish.

Show us on google maps where all these UK swimming pools are at the average house, you've got a vivid imagination.

As I said before rose tinted glasses work both ways, your view of the UK is not what I see.

Well,going by what other posters negative posts about the UK,I think people need to get out more!Most of the negative descriptions I read don't fit where I live either (UK)

Great thread.....dare I start?

- Christmas as it should be....not just in my opinion but the perception of EVERY christmas card every produced!

- Going to our local village christmas crib service on xmas eve (5pm ish) with our children and for them to learn the meaning behind xmas (and im not even religious)

- Going to a friends house/the pub after said crib service for a christmas drink buy the open fire...then braving the cold again to go home and get the kids to bed before 'he comes'

-Boxing day walk before going home for a cold meat lunch and watch the boxing day football fixtures

-Going to see my boys in a christmas nativity play

-changes in the colours of the landscape, you feel like you have lived in 4 different places in one year.

-blackberry picking

-harvest festival

-summer evenings and summer mornings when the birds actually sing rather than the squawking sound

-fishing, and I mean proper fishing, in a local pond that is hundreds of years old

-the buzz of a live football match, especially under flood lights

-buildings, town, shops and cafes and pubs on the high street, not in an OTT shopping centre or a long line of pubs/bars on a beach front

-the smell of the english countryside

-not worrying about any wildlife or any marks that show up on your skin

-NOT hearing the loud drone/rumble of the V8 and V6 cars

-feeling part of life and what it means

-a choice...of anything and everything, be it food, to beer to cheese to holiday destinations

-harvest time, when you can bike down a country lane and watch the farmers until gone 10pm....

-sunday roasts with whoever, whenever

-a BBQ being a rarity to look forward to...

-mates, proper school mates of 25 years

-summer village fetes

AND IM ONLY 30......

I emigrated here for a healthier outdoorsy life for myself, my wife and our 2 small boys.....the outdoorsy concept has not failed to deliver, but healthier....hmm.....its a tough one, the sun here is relentless (yes i had read somewhere that the sun shone here before i moved) but does sunshine mean healthy, a tan looks healthy but.....

I find myself daily looking at elderly people in the shops/supermarkets and seeing how bad their skin is.....do i want that.

Anyhow, going off topic here.

For however long we stay Im glad we tried this, nothing ventured and all that, but i dont see oz as a long term thing but am gonna enjoy all it has to offer and all the sunshine until we head 'home'

Dan

wattsy ...iam very much in the pro england camp , but i see it for what it is, there is no emotion , i live here part out of love for it , part out of necessity , and part duty ....i was in inner city coventry today .....dear me , i soon removed those rose tinted glasses ...

Absolute rubbish.

with all due respect Baz , where do you live ?....that wil colour your judgement

Guest Guest 47403
with all due respect Baz , where do you live ?....that wil colour your judgement

No I live in what some would consider a very nice area, so nothing colouring my judgement I just don't see the UK through the rose tinted glasses that seem to be firmly in place on some posters.

wattsy ...iam very much in the pro england camp , but i see it for what it is, there is no emotion , i live here part out of love for it , part out of necessity , and part duty ....i was in inner city coventry today .....dear me , i soon removed those rose tinted glasses ...

Oh sure bunbury61, like most cities in the world...i feel a city is a city.

I wouldnt want to live in Brisbane, Sydney, LA, New York, London etc...but the countryside where I come from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire is nice, not really affected by crime, violence illegal immigrants etc.

Im not saying its perfect, where is, but weather aside, it ticks more boxes for us long term than Australia.

From what Ive read on here and from speaking to people who have returned, having that time away is a great thing to make you appreciate what you had and you then appreciate it, its surroundings, the people when you get the second chance.

First thing I want to do if we go back is to get the grandparents to baby sit for a weekend and take my wife to Paris....

Have you lived out here/looking to live out here?

Dan

Penelope Pitstop - that's poetic ! (Imagine) .... The only thing missing was Scrooge upto his eyes in paperwork working away by torchlight in a little stone shop muttering away to himself, glaring at you through condensated windows as you stroll by with the sound of the bells ringing in your ears and feeling all aglow.

Maybe to even things up I should list some of the things I'll miss about living in Australia.

1) Clear skies where you can see for miles.

2) Getting out of the shower and leaving it dripping wet without worrying about mould (at least in Summer). A recipe for disaster in the UK.

3)The fabulous road surfaces in Perth, beautifully maintained like almost nowhere else on earth (maybe Dubai). Such a pity about the dreadful road design, never 1 traffic light where 10 will do, and the driving.......

4) The way that local councils have finally got on board with parkland planning for sustainability, planting trees where the shade they give will actually cover paths where people walk - why has this taken so long??? A good example is Stirling City civic park.

5) Not having to worry about pipes freezing up in Winter in the house-or putting anti-freeze in the car radiator.

6) The cost of a bit of fillet steak-we are gorging ourselves on it until we leave!!

7)Tropical fruits fresh from the North, mangoes, kiwi fruit etc.

8)Leaving the few mates behind with which I have formed a real friendship over the last 30 years.

9)Leaving the graves of our loved ones behind at Pinnaroo Park.

10)Not having to concern myself with sweeping or repointing chimneys a perennial bugbear with the older housing stock in the UK. The pitch of the roofs here - so shallow as there are no concerns over snow.

11) How easy it is to weed the gardens in these poor sandy soils-it's a back-breaking job in the UK with the heavy clay soils.

mmm, writing the pluses for Perth shows me we are making the correct choice...

Tony

Maybe to even things up I should list some of the things I'll miss about living in Australia.

1) Clear skies where you can see for miles.

2) Getting out of the shower and leaving it dripping wet without worrying about mould (at least in Summer). A recipe for disaster in the UK.

3)The fabulous road surfaces in Perth, beautifully maintained like almost nowhere else on earth (maybe Dubai). Such a pity about the dreadful road design, never 1 traffic light where 10 will do, and the driving.......

4) The way that local councils have finally got on board with parkland planning for sustainability, planting trees where the shade they give will actually cover paths where people walk - why has this taken so long??? A good example is Stirling City civic park.

5) Not having to worry about pipes freezing up in Winter in the house-or putting anti-freeze in the car radiator.

6) The cost of a bit of fillet steak-we are gorging ourselves on it until we leave!!

7)Tropical fruits fresh from the North, mangoes, kiwi fruit etc.

8)Leaving the few mates behind with which I have formed a real friendship over the last 30 years.

9)Leaving the graves of our loved ones behind at Pinnaroo Park.

10)Not having to concern myself with sweeping or repointing chimneys a perennial bugbear with the older housing stock in the UK. The pitch of the roofs here - so shallow as there are no concerns over snow.

11) How easy it is to weed the gardens in these poor sandy soils-it's a back-breaking job in the UK with the heavy clay soils.

mmm, writing the pluses for Perth shows me we are making the correct choice...

Tony

Your on the wrong thread, it's MBTTUK.

minicabs

Jeremy paxman

punk music (or previous love of)

courtesy

mountains

Drunk people doing the Hokey Pokey at weddings

big cans of beer

developed life outside capital cities

doorbells/knockers (snigger)

dogs in pubs

no pokies in pubs

walking

driving into a foreign country (Scotland....maybe?)

merging traffic

proper electric plugs

hedgehogs

different type trees

spoof

motorbike parking

Hi, great thread, great postings....well done,

here goes......letter boxes in front doors, not a tin box at the end of the path,

decent carpets, so I can sit on the floor, sometimes cross legged or just laying around....all our places seem have ceramic floors tiles and wood laminate..so hard and cold,

M & S food,

automatic central heating that comes on when I am still in bed or before I get home,

big bottles of Strongbow cider that is affordable, not a small bottle that costs the same as wine,

Sat night lottery show with a decent curry and a few beers including cans of Guiness stout that I can't get here,

T.V. progs that start as scheduled.

and, of course, FOOTBALL NOT SOCCER...hahaha....:biggrin: Cheers

This is very shallow but the shops! I can't wait to go shopping in the UK again, food shopping especially (M&S Foodhall and Greggs beware!) but also all those lovely, individual quirky shops we have in the UK.

A town/village centre I can walk to

Loving Summer again as the temperature is in the 20s and instead of the 30s

Squirrels

Great Chinese Food

Changing seasons

No (or hardly any) mozzies or cockroaches

EUROPE!

There's so much to love about Aus but I can't wait to experience the above again.

minicabs

Jeremy paxman

punk music (or previous love of)

courtesy

mountains

Drunk people doing the Hokey Pokey at weddings

big cans of beer

developed life outside capital cities

doorbells/knockers (snigger)

dogs in pubs

no pokies in pubs

walking

driving into a foreign country (Scotland....maybe?)

merging traffic

proper electric plugs

hedgehogs

different type trees

spoof

motorbike parking

And when you come home you remember it's Hokey Cokey...not Pokey lol x

Oh sure bunbury61, like most cities in the world...i feel a city is a city.

I wouldnt want to live in Brisbane, Sydney, LA, New York, London etc...but the countryside where I come from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire is nice, not really affected by crime, violence illegal immigrants etc.

Im not saying its perfect, where is, but weather aside, it ticks more boxes for us long term than Australia.

From what Ive read on here and from speaking to people who have returned, having that time away is a great thing to make you appreciate what you had and you then appreciate it, its surroundings, the people when you get the second chance.

First thing I want to do if we go back is to get the grandparents to baby sit for a weekend and take my wife to Paris....

Have you lived out here/looking to live out here?

Dan

yes Dan ,lived in W.A for 6 years .....I have no issues with oz at all ....but I try to keep it real , in relation to the UK

I see some beautiful parts of the u.k ....I had an early morning drive to a big house in stourport on severn this morning ....beautiful ....BUT ..I also see the inner city areas of this country , and its the polar opposite ...the people just look defeated

On the other hand , if you live in a nice area of the u.k , its comparable to anywhere I have ever been ....you can keep all the gloss and the brochures , iam talking about infrastructure and day to day living .

I have 2 daughters , they have a great life here .....they seem happy ....that's enough for me, my time is half over ....

When the eldest goes off to London , shopping for the day , It impresses me , don't ask me why ...its like she has access to somewhere that matters ?

in relation to Paris, book at least 5 days ...one day at least at the louvre ...one at versaille ..., and the other 3 just taking it in.....in my very humble opinion , the greatest city in the world ....the French lay on class and style by the bucket load ....love France

yes Dan ,lived in W.A for 6 years .....I have no issues with oz at all ....but I try to keep it real , in relation to the UK

I see some beautiful parts of the u.k ....I had an early morning drive to a big house in stourport on severn this morning ....beautiful ....BUT ..I also see the inner city areas of this country , and its the polar opposite ...the people just look defeated

On the other hand , if you live in a nice area of the u.k , its comparable to anywhere I have ever been ....you can keep all the gloss and the brochures , iam talking about infrastructure and day to day living .

I have 2 daughters , they have a great life here .....they seem happy ....that's enough for me, my time is half over ....

When the eldest goes off to London , shopping for the day , It impresses me , don't ask me why ...its like she has access to somewhere that matters ?

in relation to Paris, book at least 5 days ...one day at least at the louvre ...one at versaille ..., and the other 3 just taking it in.....in my very humble opinion , the greatest city in the world ....the French lay on class and style by the bucket load ....love France

I'd agree with you about France, but you can keep the North, especially Paris which is an even bigger hole than London is, (my dad used to say anyone north of Salisbury is an insert a "not very nice adjective" he was very bigoted), Versille is absolutely georgeous and should be on everybody's bucket list. The South of France is a different place altogether, the people are lovely (especially when they discover you're from Aussie, not the UK-note-always use your Aussie passport in France-they love the Aussies), the weather is like Perth used to be 30 years ago-not humid, not too windy, and if you stay below the sun-line at Bordeaux, pleasant Winters. The Loire valley is beautiful in Spring, as is Lyons. When there, try to speak French, they let you struggle for a while then take pity and converse in English with you. It's the attempt they like, no matter how bad your French. Bordeaux is my favourite City, much nicer than Paris and very cosmopolitan. The ladies love the shopping there.

Tony.

Why are Aussie baths made for midgets? I have never understood this.

Tony

Haha I think they assume only kids use them and people shower more than bath here I think. I never realised until I went to the UK and saw how huge the baths were there.

Archived