What are the little things you're looking forward to when you move back???

Guest Geordee

For me a trip down to the local cafe with a paper . When I was back over Christmas I could buy a paper, have a cooked breakfast with toast and a coffee for a fiver. Yes I can do it here but it cost me 23 dollars for the same pleasure. Other little things will be .. UK tv, choice of radio stations ( I hate rock ) Greenwich market, billingsgate fish market, Brighton, national trust days out, not having to rush around by 5 pm, curry,crispy duck, selection of crisps, trips to the West Country where my misses is from, London ( best city in the world), William hill..... The list can go on and on

I just made the decision to do Greenwich market tomorrow. 10 mins on the bus, a few hours in the park then the market loads of food stalls there now, good music from the bands a couple of pints the bus home.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm looking forward not back, with the intention of enriching and broadening experiences rather than reliving or deepening older ones.

Enjoy.

​BigD

Bit sad when you can't look back at memories ain't not have a smile to yourself or a tear in your eye...are past is what we are, sorry you had such a sad past.

Guest guest76088

I had no sad past PB. No navel-gazing or what-if from me unfortunately. I have joy from nostalgia, but it is not the solution to current life.

Lots of love,

​BigD

Bit sad when you can't look back at memories ain't not have a smile to yourself or a tear in your eye...are past is what we are, sorry you had such a sad past.

Guest chris955

Well the thread is about the things people are looking FORWARD to when they get back to the UK so Im not entirely sure what you mean ?

I'm looking forward not back, with the intention of enriching and broadening experiences rather than reliving or deepening older ones.

Enjoy.

​BigD

I just made the decision to do Greenwich market tomorrow. 10 mins on the bus, a few hours in the park then the market loads of food stalls there now, good music from the bands a couple of pints the bus home.

Funny I only lived 15 minutes away from the market my self. Yes the food is great and priced well, the buzz of market is always good and a few nice pubs to wash the beer down. I'm guessing it was packed today as the weather was nice. The view from the top of the park is one of my favourites. Never got board of that park, something I can't say about this place.!!!

We're going back in August for a visit. I feel a bit weird about it tbh (might post about that later) but there are lots of little things I'm looking forward to. Most of it appears to be landscape based when I think about it, which sort of tells me how rooted I feel in England's landscape and what I will always miss here

Stuff like:

• The light in beechwoods. Outlaws live in the Chilterns so plenty of opportunity to fill up on this
  • Long, light summer evenings. Sitting outside a pub to enjoy them isn't essential but only adds to the experience
  • People laughing and taking the mick out of themselves and each other
  • TMS on the radio.....will be in the UK for the final Ashes test. I don't have tickets (yet), but my brother is mates with Michael Vaughan so I'm holding out for a couple via that route....
  • Cycling back from my mate's pub in the Suffolk countryside to my wife's best mate's house where we'll be staying.....full moon and flushing out barn owls and hares (might seem a bit specific but I've done that cycle many times and have *always* seen aforementioned wildlife. It never gets old)
  • Hedgerows and flowers
  • That particular shade of green that doesn't exist here. It's oak, ash, field maple, hazel
  • Public footpaths and bridleways
  • Really good English ale
  • Going for a day's shopping in Cambridge. Beautiful cityscape and excellent retail in one easy package (more expensive to park than Aus though, I'll grant you that ;))

​I could go on but probably shouldn't. Or will end up feeling even more weird about the trip back....

Having just been back for a 3 week trip these things are all quite fresh in the mind. 3 weeks did not feel long enough at all....

In no particular order...

Old pubs with real fires, walking around 11th century ruins, daffodils, quiet country lanes where hedges on both sides brush your wing mirrors, public footpaths and bridelways, cornish pasties, monkfish, pie & pint for £7, rugged coastline, central heating, Waitrose, moorland, stone houses, clotted cream, proper sausages, excellent curry, Cardinham woods, being outdoors without worrying about heat/flies/mosquitoes, riding horses through quiet villages and cantering along green tracks, snow drifts, White Stuff, sense of local identity, my old boss saying he would give me my old job back, ham egg and chips, wine in the supermarket, leeks at £1 a kilo, engine houses, National Trust, dry stone walling, I could go on but don't want to upset myself any more....

White Stuff, lol. I will struggle to keep my wife out of the place for the whole 2.5 weeks we'll be there for

:D

I went into just about every branch I saw including Fowey, St Ives, Truro, Exeter, not to mention Fat Face and SeaSalt! I didn't buy too much actually, as I can actually get it cheaper when I buy it from Australia (no VAT and sneaky searches for voucher codes online)! The wisest approach would just be to let her go shopping by herself one day. I did that in Truro and that satisfied me for the rest of the trip. Nothing worse than the OH dripping round after you putting you off!

We're going back in August for a visit. I feel a bit weird about it tbh (might post about that later) but there are lots of little things I'm looking forward to. Most of it appears to be landscape based when I think about it, which sort of tells me how rooted I feel in England's landscape and what I will always miss here

Stuff like:

• The light in beechwoods. Outlaws live in the Chilterns so plenty of opportunity to fill up on this

• Long, light summer evenings. Sitting outside a pub to enjoy them isn't essential but only adds to the experience

• People laughing and taking the mick out of themselves and each other

• TMS on the radio.....will be in the UK for the final Ashes test. I don't have tickets (yet), but my brother is mates with Michael Vaughan so I'm holding out for a couple via that route....

• Cycling back from my mate's pub in the Suffolk countryside to my wife's best mate's house where we'll be staying.....full moon and flushing out barn owls and hares (might seem a bit specific but I've done that cycle many times and have *always* seen aforementioned wildlife. It never gets old)

• Hedgerows and flowers

• That particular shade of green that doesn't exist here. It's oak, ash, field maple, hazel

• Public footpaths and bridleways

• Really good English ale

• Going for a day's shopping in Cambridge. Beautiful cityscape and excellent retail in one easy package (more expensive to park than Aus though, I'll grant you that ;))

​I could go on but probably shouldn't. Or will end up feeling even more weird about the trip back....

Felt a twinge of homesickness reading that, especially the bike ride home through the countryside. It brought back memories of cycling in the near dark (around 10pm) back to Harpenden from seeing a mate in St Albans.

"my brother is mates with Michael Vaughan"......WTF? Is there anyone in blighty you aren't connected to? I'm beginning to suspect you might have Bipolar Disorder :biggrin:

Nah, we love shopping together. I'll be as bad as her tbh. We are taking half full bags for the kids when we go back (will get filled up with pressies and stuff from John Lewis & Boden), and virtually empty bags for us (will get filled up from White Stuff, my tailor, various shoe/boot emporia, JL & Boden again, The White Company bedding, etc etc etc)

We're not retail obsessives. But do quite enjoy a good shop and a bit of quality. Hoping to palm the kids off on grandparents so we can get a full day or two at it. Probably in Cambridge but maybe London as well

My son is the only one in the family who resents getting "dragged round" shops

​:-)

"my brother is mates with Michael Vaughan"......WTF? Is there anyone in blighty you aren't connected to?

Tons of people! My bro and MV go way back (they are a similar age) to when they played against each other at cricket aged about 19. MV smashed Jon's v.ordinary off breaks to all corners of Abbeydale cricket ground. Bought him a beer afterwards to commiserate, they discovered a shared love of Sheff Wednesday and hit it off. Not exactly bosom buddies but Christmas card/odd beer once a year sort of level of relationship

Ah, but remember the Park and Ride, it's dead cheap! You probably won't get a car park IN Cambridge in August, it's usually heaving!

Can't be doing with buses. One advantage of the eye-watering cost of parking in Lion Yard (or whatever they call it these days) is that it's so high, there's always some space

:wink:

Grand Arcade (or as I persist in misnaming it, The Canberra Centre aargh!) it all depends on when you plan to be there - Saturdays it's usually full but during the week it's not so bad and not really eye watering - not that much different from the real Canberra Centre given the current exchange rate. I mostly walk the 4.5 miles these days!

Guest guest74886
Can't say I have missed any of those things. The only thing I have ever missed is the ancient buildings. We have none here and really the old Aboriginal relics are just bits of graffiti as far as I'm concerned-not much skill at all.

Harsh, but kinda true

Guest guest74886
Nah, we love shopping together. I'll be as bad as her tbh. We are taking half full bags for the kids when we go back (will get filled up with pressies and stuff from John Lewis & Boden), and virtually empty bags for us (will get filled up from White Stuff, my tailor, various shoe/boot emporia, JL & Boden again, The White Company bedding, etc etc etc)

We're not retail obsessives. But do quite enjoy a good shop and a bit of quality. Hoping to palm the kids off on grandparents so we can get a full day or two at it. Probably in Cambridge but maybe London as well

My son is the only one in the family who resents getting "dragged round" shops

​:-)

Your tailor????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought that was only for the TOFFS

:wideeyed:

Cancelled due to rain!!!

not really! its another glorious day here but the misses has to work so its put off 'till next week.

Your tailor????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought that was only for the TOFFS :wideeyed:

Nah. Best things ever, tailor made suits. Don't cost that much. He's not like MY tailor as in, I keep him on a retainer. He's a bloke I've bought 3 or 4 suits off, though, and has my measurements etc and I can get another one made in a couple of weeks with 2 fittings, whereas normally it'd be 6 weeks

Guest Geordee

Thanks for the great replies everyone. They've made me remember lots of other things I am looking forward to and had forgotten and have loved reading them all ;). Its so nice to hear others appreciating the UK, as I'm sure you've mostly all experienced other people with their negative opinions / comments about the UK or returning there.

All these posts have made me realise that maybe the small stuff is just as important as the larger reasons we have for returning.

Oz to France - until you pointed it out, I didn't realise how many points I had on that list (and there are more!) and that made me feel a bit more confident about returning for some reason. I suppose, as we do have a good life here, we are nervous about the move, but I could see from my list that above and beyond our principal reasons for returning, we also have lots of other positive, albeit smaller ones too.

Macdonald067 - best of luck with your move over, I hope it all works out how you want. Oz isn't for some people, like you say, but I would say that it was and is for us, as we have loved living here for almost 14 years now; it just isn't the place we want / need to be at this moment in our lives and we would never say never about returning here.

Big D - I can assure you that we are certainly looking forward also, though in a different direction to yourself - we are no way looking back or going back to what we left! I left the UK on an adventure at age 20, with a boyfriend and a few boxes and will return with 4 kids, 2 cats and a husband, along with a wealth of other stuff that I have gained from this great country. We have never lived in the UK with a career, earning good money, raising kids, having holidays to Europe etc; when we left we lived in a small rented house, did casual unskilled work and spent most weekends clubbing! An utterly different life to the one we hope to build in the UK in the not too distant future! Best of luck to you in your Oz journey.

Guest guest74886
Thanks for the great replies everyone. They've made me remember lots of other things I am looking forward to and had forgotten and have loved reading them all ;). Its so nice to hear others appreciating the UK, as I'm sure you've mostly all experienced other people with their negative opinions / comments about the UK or returning there.

All these posts have made me realise that maybe the small stuff is just as important as the larger reasons we have for returning.

Oz to France - until you pointed it out, I didn't realise how many points I had on that list (and there are more!) and that made me feel a bit more confident about returning for some reason. I suppose, as we do have a good life here, we are nervous about the move, but I could see from my list that above and beyond our principal reasons for returning, we also have lots of other positive, albeit smaller ones too.

Macdonald067 - best of luck with your move over, I hope it all works out how you want. Oz isn't for some people, like you say, but I would say that it was and is for us, as we have loved living here for almost 14 years now; it just isn't the place we want / need to be at this moment in our lives and we would never say never about returning here.

Big D - I can assure you that we are certainly looking forward also, though in a different direction to yourself - we are no way looking back or going back to what we left! I left the UK on an adventure at age 20, with a boyfriend and a few boxes and will return with 4 kids, 2 cats and a husband, along with a wealth of other stuff that I have gained from this great country. We have never lived in the UK with a career, earning good money, raising kids, having holidays to Europe etc; when we left we lived in a small rented house, did casual unskilled work and spent most weekends clubbing! An utterly different life to the one we hope to build in the UK in the not too distant future! Best of luck to you in your Oz journey.

I'm glad you got the list prioritised correctly, the cat comes before the husband , quite right too.

I don't find myself posting much as life is far too frenetic to spend laboring through posts, but this sequence not only caught my attention it tugged at my inner essence of memories and I suppose its those memories of yes little things that have a high EQ (Emotional Quotient) that make me yearn for home they have done since my first emigration in '77 and again in 2009 when I mistakenly took off thinking that this adventure would quench the proverbial thirst to try something else while all the while i knew deep down as I had done for 30 years before that the contentment, and I cant explain it you just feel it for some us, when I cross over after a trans-Atlantic flight and see the English countryside, or that raging smell of diesel fumes outside Heathrow its home. As a side note, I have been to some 20 countries and all the hundreds of times I have gone through the Customs or whatever the hell its called now Border something, I have never ever been detained questioned the longest conversation was to tell me there was a town named after me that's home- what a feeling every time; so here goes my top ten small things that have an EQ for my memories sake. No particular order.

1) Just standing or sitting at bench nearby to Cleopatra's Needles at the Thames, a paper and an apple sometimes its drizzling but i don't care, I'm home and if it all ended then it would be okay.

2) Borough market its the best market in the UK bar none for food and its steeped in tradition burrowed beneath and somewhat hidden behind a Southwark cathedral, a railway bridge, Borough high street, nestled amongst old pubs and alley ways and the variety of food is second to none, it represents what is London history, energy, vitality of ethnicity and above all a piece of tradition sadly disappearing. Old markets few and far between just look at what they did to Spitafields.

3) The sight and smell of daffodils, immediately brings back the summer of 67 and me mum and I planting them under the front window.

4) A chance to go to where I scattered my parents ashes, morbid perhaps but in a tiny church graveyard deep into Sussex in Tarring Village and a chance to spend quiet time in a little old place.

5) The chance to waste an entire afternoon bustling through the crowds to a footy match, i could really care who plays, but if I have a choice I got to me dads team Fulham and fans will know why. the walk to the ground from Putney bridge along the Thames then inside what is so a quaint old ground untouched by the need to to suffer from some abomination of a 60 minute makeover its old cottage sits like an epitaph of yesteryear when the players played for pride and honour and to know i stand where me dad and dads dad did some 75 years ago....a sense of pride and hereditary.

6) If I want to have a natter with someone I can start an idle conversation and not feel like I am doing a Kristene Kochanski from Red Dwarf and find the need to talk to a wall for a reply because the average person ignores you and or is impolite here in Adeliade (NB Adelaide not Australia).

7) If at my age i want to stay up and watch MOTD I can i have earnt that right..woo hoo takes me back to the 60's when it all started.

8) To not miss out on being in the euphoria just once more of being British when we actually do achieve something of national pride e.g. the Olympics, God forbid we reach a World Cup Final here's looking forward to the Ashes and Lions Tour.

9) To sit on a long train ride well relatively long London to Bristol and see those open West country fields laden in kelly green just yearning to be walked on and know that that means rain, hell its 29c today its bloody Autumn, two seasons just doesn't cut here.

10) To see the architecture when you have a desire to visit an old 1930's style train station like Rayners Lane Holden designed quintessential art deco cubes....that sought of thing or even just wander like a star gazed tourist around familiar paths of London and actually discover something new.

So there you go make of it what you will. London is and will forever be home and remarkably 6 of us who have known each other best part of 40 years some of us not seeing each other in 28 years and have scattered far and wide will reunite in London in October something to look forward too a cool Autumn none of this drawn out summer in April. Cool leaves blowing in the wind, frost trodden paths, the drizzle that makes you long for a warm cup of tea.

Okay so the last was far too lamentable and bloody drawn out so this one less so, but is meant for all those that just love what is London, arguably the greatest city in the world closely followed by Paris and NY. I'm proud to be Londoner.

1) Concerts preferably free in Hyde Park.

2) Areas like St Johns Wood and Primrose Hill the list is endless. far too rich for me to live in but wonderful

3) The Tube - sure we all complain about transport and delays but lets be honest between buses and the Tube London is bloody fantastic for public transport

4) Museums - Imperial War, British Museum, V & A, Natural History and Science and if you like me and love the history the London Transport yes it will cost few quid so dip into your old sky rocket and splurge its in Covent Garden.

5) Arguably the best Nepalese Curry house okay it not in London per se but take the Piccadilly line to Rayners Lane see I just love Rayners Lane (not much else there abit run down to be honest) but the Royal Nepal I promise you bloody fab.

6) A good sing song at Twickers come on you don't have to love Rugby but when the singing of Swing Low or Jerusalem...you cant help be proud to English

7) Same for last night of the Proms....who says we are conservative and boring we have so much passion and pride..."lest we forget"

8) All the old pubs...The Grenadier in Belgravia, The Flask in Highgate....list is endless

9) The crypt under St Martin in the Fields Church Trafalgar Sq...great nosh...

10) Ronnie Scotts in Soho...what a great place saw James Hunter there in 2009 ab fab so close so intimate and so London.

There you go..i'll sign off for another 6 months now...rgds all hell Harp and 3 cats and Pablo...I never once mentioned the mighty Reds...oh yes fr those that like exercise I highly recommend the Milford Sound trek in NZ.

Cheese! A really good, biting cheddar, an oozy brie, STILTON! Admittedly, for me, cheese is no small reason to return to the UK :)

I also look forward to seeing English gardens (just normal, everyday gardens), hedgerows, blackberry picking, supermarket deli counters with more than four types of cheese and meat on the bone, decent chocolate, bonfire night, long summer evenings, cobbled streets, the beautiful old buildings, daisies in the grass, walking down the lane and across the fields to the local pub where I can sit outside on the wall and watch the sea whilst I have a decently priced drink. There's probably a whole load of other things but these are the things that immediately spring to mind...

Archived