Canberra 4 weeks update.

sully7669

As the title says!

I have been very impressed with Canberra so far everyone has made me feel so welcome. I'm bewildered as to why people say Canberra is boring as I've done more here in the same time as I did 18 months ago in Perth!

I have secured a rental and move in on the 15th June, the wife is back in the UK finalising the container and has also handed in her notice and due to arrive 1st August.

It is hard that they are back in the UK but what with work being busy and the amount of cycling I'm doing the next 12 weeks will fly by, plus I'm losing a little weight.

I had a fantastic afternoon out 10 day's ago with fellow PIO members and it's nice to put names with faces as it is not just the computer I'm dealing with!!

My brother is coming up from Melbourne in a couple of weeks and I haven't seen him for around 6 years so I am looking forward to that and a couple of Auntie's are in Merimbula NSW so I'm going to see them, this will keep me busy over the next month.

As a former £10 Pom the experience I had as a kid with my family is second to none and now much later on I am able to offer my boy and wife the same experience I had albeit a lot dearer than £10 lol.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good heavens, don't be too positive about Canberra or it'll be overrun with Poms! You're supposed to hate it because its not the Aussie dream! (Tongue firmly in check there of course! If you have to live anywhere in Aus it's one of the better places to be - hope your wife likes it!)

As the title says!

I have been very impressed with Canberra so far everyone has made me feel so welcome. I'm bewildered as to why people say Canberra is boring as I've done more here in the same time as I did 18 months ago in Perth!

I have secured a rental and move in on the 15th June, the wife is back in the UK finalising the container and has also handed in her notice and due to arrive 1st August.

It is hard that they are back in the UK but what with work being busy and the amount of cycling I'm doing the next 12 weeks will fly by, plus I'm losing a little weight.

I had a fantastic afternoon out 10 day's ago with fellow PIO members and it's nice to put names with faces as it is not just the computer I'm dealing with!!

My brother is coming up from Melbourne in a couple of weeks and I haven't seen him for around 6 years so I am looking forward to that and a couple of Auntie's are in Merimbula NSW so I'm going to see them, this will keep me busy over the next month.

As a former £10 Pom the experience I had as a kid with my family is second to none and now much later on I am able to offer my boy and wife the same experience I had albeit a lot dearer than £10 lol.

We hope for the same. But you have mentioned cycling: can you elaborate more? I used to do a lot of duathlons and was proud of my 5 hours on 100 mile. I have not been on the bike for 2 years for several reasons but I am sure to pick up cycling again once settled.

thanks, I've seen these. Why would you say to bring a decent bike? I am sure i could get one there if needed. Or not? I am more curious about proper cycling, where yo go out with the club for 30-40 mile rides doing some 18 mph plus average speeds (of course at the moment I am not there due to a knee-tendent injury). How about those?

thanks, I've seen these. Why would you say to bring a decent bike? I am sure i could get one there if needed. Or not? I am more curious about proper cycling, where yo go out with the club for 30-40 mile rides doing some 18 mph plus average speeds (of course at the moment I am not there due to a knee-tendent injury). How about those?

Not a problem, you can do club rides if you like, there are always a few lycra clad clubbers eating breakfast in Braddon after their rides at the weekends so I am assuming that they are pretty regular events. My blokes used bikes for transport all over the ACT (kid cycled 10km each way to school and DH rode round trip of 38km most days to one place of work)

Canberra has a good network of bike paths and quite a few folk use them - the buses even have bike racks on them for between centre travel. There are plenty of good bikeshops in town (start in Lonsdale St, Braddon and move out from there) if you fancy buying a new bike but you will generally find they are cheaper in UK so if you have one, then bring it (you can get bike cases to bring them on the plane with you if you felt so inclined).

Both the DH and I have commented on the number of cyclists - lycra and general transport types - here in some amazement as it does seem more popular here than in ACT although ACT has quite a good cycling representation in comparison with Aus in general.

Brought my bike from the UK (though I just used a clear plastic bag rather than a case, arrived in perfect condition). The cycle network in Canberra is fantastic and, as long as you stick to paths and lanes, you generally won't be hassled by car drivers. If you're keen on joining rides the Canberra's local cycling advocacy group Pedal Power run rides most weekends as well as organise events: http://pedalpower.org.au/ it costs to join but at the same time they really do push cycling within the ACT.

Lonsdale is a pretty decent Bike shop and they've now opened a second store in Fyshwick so they're now called The Cyclery. I've also found On the Rivet a good store too for servicing and purchases. As mentioned bikes as well as components are quite pricey so, aside from servicing, I tend to buy any parts like tubes etc from Wiggle (http://www.wiggle.com.au) unless I'm completely out and need an inner-tube now!

We hope for the same. But you have mentioned cycling: can you elaborate more? I used to do a lot of duathlons and was proud of my 5 hours on 100 mile. I have not been on the bike for 2 years for several reasons but I am sure to pick up cycling again once settled.

My bike will be on the way ( road bike ) but I am borrowing a mountain bike at the moment and all I can say is I will probably repairing punctures on my roadie as that is all I see people do. I have found so far a mountain bike to be more enjoyable!!

My bike will be on the way ( road bike ) but I am borrowing a mountain bike at the moment and all I can say is I will probably repairing punctures on my roadie as that is all I see people do. I have found so far a mountain bike to be more enjoyable!!

I brought a mountain bike over, it's great off road but there are a lot of hard paths where the wide chunky tyres just seem to stick and slow you down.

I was recommended to get a cyclocross, sort of a hybrid with racing handlebars and quick on cyclepaths, but tough enough for light off-roading on tracks.

It's a whole new world, they're pretty knowledgeable about their bikes here.

There are lots of groups that do weekend rides....you see them 20 miles outside Canberra racing up the Federal Highway in groups and they pile the speed on. Pretty much all highways have cycle lanes to keep you away from the cars, but the car drivers can be awful and not very observant or safety conscious.

I meant, do your price comparisons before you come, if you want a good bike it might be substantially cheaper to buy it in Europe and ship it over in your crate, with all your gear, lights, bell. It's not cheap here to get kitted out, my own average bike was nearly 3 times the price for a similar model.

I don't think I'd bother bringing a bike across, unless its something real good or you are fond of it. There are some great second hand bargains to be had here. I think people upgrade their bike every year. The number of really nice bikes I see at the coffee shops astounds me. I picked up a French "Time" bike for $750.

It has a carbon fibre frame, campag gears and brakes and is in really good condition. I've had it for about 3 years now and it's been great. Done quite a few triathlons and longer rides.

I don't think I'd bother bringing a bike across, unless its something real good or you are fond of it. There are some great second hand bargains to be had here. I think people upgrade their bike every year. The number of really nice bikes I see at the coffee shops astounds me. I picked up a French "Time" bike for $750.

It has a carbon fibre frame, campag gears and brakes and is in really good condition. I've had it for about 3 years now and it's been great. Done quite a few triathlons and longer rides.

Great to hear that not all is lost and that is a bargain for a time. As long as I can get the components I can fit it together. I just read about the half Ironman in Canberra and probably would love to do a relay (yeah, my swimming is rubbish and just cannot get around loving it) just for fun. But I love cycling in general and one time I even coached novices. Now I am getting to be 40 this year, not as swift as I used to be....

There are lots of groups that do weekend rides....you see them 20 miles outside Canberra racing up the Federal Highway in groups and they pile the speed on. Pretty much all highways have cycle lanes to keep you away from the cars, but the car drivers can be awful and not very observant or safety conscious.

I meant, do your price comparisons before you come, if you want a good bike it might be substantially cheaper to buy it in Europe and ship it over in your crate, with all your gear, lights, bell. It's not cheap here to get kitted out, my own average bike was nearly 3 times the price for a similar model.

Thank you cars are not any better in England if not worse and I sort of feel bad that I have hijacked Sully7669's thread. My apology, I would've started a new thread on it's own.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys.

My Road bike gets here from the UK in 4 weeks and i cant wait to hit the roads.

If anyone fancies holding my hand until i get used to it please let me know.

I am not a pro rider or anything and probably need to get my bike fitness back but i am up for some good road rides.

Hi guys.

My Road bike gets here from the UK in 4 weeks and i cant wait to hit the roads.

If anyone fancies holding my hand until i get used to it please let me know.

I am not a pro rider or anything and probably need to get my bike fitness back but i am up for some good road rides.

while you wait, you can practice your puncture repairing skills!

My boys recommend riding up and own Mt Ainslie (by preference) to get your fitness back - they especially like the descent apparently (but mothers really don't want to know that LOL)

while you wait, you can practice your puncture repairing skills!

My boys recommend riding up and own Mt Ainslie (by preference) to get your fitness back - they especially like the descent apparently (but mothers really don't want to know that LOL)

can't you cycle up the hills there (I mean on roads)? And is it really better to get your bike in the UK? It is not cheap to ship a bike over either. Wouldn't be better to remove the components and just get a frame and wheels there?

can't you cycle up the hills there (I mean on roads)? And is it really better to get your bike in the UK? It is not cheap to ship a bike over either. Wouldn't be better to remove the components and just get a frame and wheels there?

Most of the 'Mounts' around Canberra have windy steep roads leading to the top, so make quite a challenge. Unless your bike is something really exotic, I found the cycle shops here to be reasonably priced.

Sure you can - they're a bit of a challenge though. My boys loved Mt Ainslie in particular because you can get up a really good pace going down it (they told me afterwards!!!). Some, like Mt Majura and other hills in the Brindabellas are mountain bike only on fire trails.

all depends on your bike I guess - how good is it and how well does it suit you? Shipping a bike isn't that expensive - darned sight cheaper than getting a new one unless it is a Halfords special. There re loads of bike shops with some very knowledgeable folk in them. We tended to end up in the Lonsdale St Cyclery because the boys had their bikes looked after there for years but there are plenty to choose from.

Sure you can - they're a bit of a challenge though. My boys loved Mt Ainslie in particular because you can get up a really good pace going down it (they told me afterwards!!!). Some, like Mt Majura and other hills in the Brindabellas are mountain bike only on fire trails.

all depends on your bike I guess - how good is it and how well does it suit you? Shipping a bike isn't that expensive - darned sight cheaper than getting a new one unless it is a Halfords special. There re loads of bike shops with some very knowledgeable folk in them. We tended to end up in the Lonsdale St Cyclery because the boys had their bikes looked after there for years but there are plenty to choose from.

well, we were quoted £125 plus charges(customs etc on the Ozzie side) and takes 3 months! My bike is an okay bike but I had it for so long that I'd want something new. Looked up a bike shop in Canberra and they want $600 for a bike with Tiagra shifters? And that is a basic bike that seems to be a bit on the high end. But that is a listed price so possible it could be haggled on a bit?

Guest Ptp113
well, we were quoted £125 plus charges(customs etc on the Ozzie side) and takes 3 months! My bike is an okay bike but I had it for so long that I'd want something new. Looked up a bike shop in Canberra and they want $600 for a bike with Tiagra shifters? And that is a basic bike that seems to be a bit on the high end. But that is a listed price so possible it could be haggled on a bit?

Haggle on everything everywhere! Remember the ACT has 4-5 times the retail per head compared to anywhere else in Australia, and consequently competition is fierce.

Probably not much haggling on a new bike from a shop - $600 - that's bottom end for a good bike, I think ours have always edged over $1k new but you can pick them up for under $100 from KMart. You can take them by air as excess baggage if you want them quicker.