Canberra 4 weeks update.

sully7669

well, we were quoted £125 plus charges(customs etc on the Ozzie side) and takes 3 months! My bike is an okay bike but I had it for so long that I'd want something new. Looked up a bike shop in Canberra and they want $600 for a bike with Tiagra shifters? And that is a basic bike that seems to be a bit on the high end. But that is a listed price so possible it could be haggled on a bit?

Check out the Australian RRPs on http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bike-finder/ to give you a fair indiciation of costs here, that you can then compare to the UK RRPs on the same site by changing country at the top.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not much haggling on a new bike from a shop - $600 - that's bottom end for a good bike, I think ours have always edged over $1k new but you can pick them up for under $100 from KMart. You can take them by air as excess baggage if you want them quicker.

Flying with with Royal Brunei and there is no excess baggage option, one bag and every kilo over s £47! And as for a K-Mart bike, those would be something like Tesco bikes here I assume: No thank you. Heavy and doesn't last a weekend.

Flying with with Royal Brunei and there is no excess baggage option, one bag and every kilo over s £47! And as for a K-Mart bike, those would be something like Tesco bikes here I assume: No thank you. Heavy and doesn't last a weekend.

LOL that would be correct. I wouldn't fancy one either!

Royal Brunei will waiver the first five kilos of the bike's weight tho: http://www.flyroyalbrunei.com/travel-info/general-travel-information/

Couldn't agree more about the 'K-Mart specials' - I'd stick well clear.

I'd also take issue with a few comments here about bikes being expensive in Aus - not at all in my experience. Compare a reasonable spec mountain bike with the UK prices, and where you'd pay $5k here, it'll be around £4k in the UK. But of course that may all change over the next few months now that the dollar has taken a tumble.

And to refer back to the original subject of the thread (Canberra), it's a fantastic place for mountain biking. There trails on Mount Stromlo or out at Kowen forest are world class, and there's plenty more tucked away which you can find out about with a bit of research.

Couldn't agree more about the 'K-Mart specials' - I'd stick well clear.

I'd also take issue with a few comments here about bikes being expensive in Aus - not at all in my experience. Compare a reasonable spec mountain bike with the UK prices, and where you'd pay $5k here, it'll be around £4k in the UK. But of course that may all change over the next few months now that the dollar has taken a tumble.

And to refer back to the original subject of the thread (Canberra), it's a fantastic place for mountain biking. There trails on Mount Stromlo or out at Kowen forest are world class, and there's plenty more tucked away which you can find out about with a bit of research.

You're right about the area around Stromlo - they had an international 24 hour event there a few years ago. One of my sons got roped in to pit crew for a chap from UK.

I fear my DH might be about to test the relative price market here in UK as the bike my son brought over 11 yrs ago, and which the DH has now appropriated, is beginning to bite the dust. I'll get back on relative prices LOL

About mountain biting: how about those brown snakes and poisonous spiders that ozzie is famous about? Do you carry or better put it, is the med/bite kit part of the daily gear?

I don't think most bikers would be worried about them TBH - they'd be more worried about having their puncture kit on hand! More cyclists killed by cars or (and I can remember one freak accident in Canberra) being impaled on a nasty native plant than being bitten by anything in the bush LOL

I don't think most bikers would be worried about them TBH - they'd be more worried about having their puncture kit on hand! More cyclists killed by cars or (and I can remember one freak accident in Canberra) being impaled on a nasty native plant than being bitten by anything in the bush LOL

I wouldn't have thought cars are such an issue. They are in the UK, hate to bike on the roads here. Would have thought that all those bike paths and such would be safer to cyclists.

I don't think most bikers would be worried about them TBH

I've found that most mountain bikers are not necessarily worried, but are very aware that they're out there, especially in spring when they come out of the bush to find open sections to sunbathe in - such as the trails that we ride on.

I've been out riding with Aussies friends on several occasions when we've come across snakes, and it's interesting to see how much respect the locals show Red Bellies, and especially brown snakes (which are the 2 main types that you seem to come across). I thought they'd just throw a stick at them or something similar to get them to move on, but they're a lot more cautious than that - generally suggesting a detour or a very wide berth if possible rather than risk annoying it.

Whilst I don't carry anything specific for a potential snake bite, I'm aware of the "do's and don'ts" if someone does get bitten.

As for spiders and other wildlife, they're not really a problem. Although I did hear about someone who got taken out by a wallaby ...!

When my road bike comes i will be looking for flattish routes for a bit until i get some level of fitness back.

I cant wait the road here look great but i am worried they might not be right for a road bike and maybe better for a hybrid.

You should be fine, I see plenty of cyclists on road bikes...

When my road bike comes i will be looking for flattish routes for a bit until i get some level of fitness back.

I cant wait the road here look great but i am worried they might not be right for a road bike and maybe better for a hybrid.

The paths and on-road cycle lanes are fine for roadie's; I've been riding mine on them since we arrived last February. However I will say be *very* watchful of drivers as I've been knocked off my bike by cars twice in the past year. Doesn't/won't put me off riding here but I've certainly had to adapt how I ride.

Guest Ptp113
even so how can they knock you off? I think we may need to look for club rides on the weekends if they exist. Safety in numbers I suppose.

Some cyclists have a death wish (3 wide on the Cotter Road on a blind corner with double center lines). As a cyclist I think they should be registered as motorists are.

even so how can they knock you off? I think we may need to look for club rides on the weekends if they exist. Safety in numbers I suppose.

Drivers particularly like to aim at groups and if you are riding two abreast will likely give you a narrow berth just to make their point!

So the salient quote from your link:

Last year there were 4 pedestrians, 3 motorcyclists and 1 cyclist killed on ACT roads, compared to 3 car drivers. While only 8% of all motor vehicle crashes involved injury, 57% of crashes involving bicycles were injury crashes.

We can conclude that cyclists hit by cars get hurt more than car drivers hit by cyclists? Says nothing to back up your "Drivers particularly like to aim at groups" claim.

Guest Ptp113

We can conclude that cyclists hit by cars get hurt more than car drivers hit by cyclists? Says nothing to back up your "Drivers particularly like to aim at groups" claim.

I'll tell you what, if the muppets on Cotter Road don't get their act together, I'll be sitting a few on their backside!

LOL no, it's the comments from motorist Riotacters in cycling threads! Cf Sprintman above.

i didn't say that they actually want to kill and it's good to see that the Canberra road carnage rate was so low last year. But motorists are pretty intolerant of cyclists using their roads "when there are so many cycle paths around". Now having the chance to see UK motorists and their relationship to cyclists (and Cambridge has zillions of them) I'd say there is far more respect and awareness here.

Edited by Quoll

LOL no, it's the comments from motorist Riotacters in cycling threads! Cf Sprintman above.

i didn't say that they actually want to kill and it's good to see that the Canberra road carnage rate was so low last year. But motorists are pretty intolerant of cyclists using their roads "when there are so many cycle paths around". Now having the chance to see UK motorists and their relationship to cyclists (and Cambridge has zillions of them) I'd say there is far more respect and awareness here.

Living around March in the UK I can say drivers are not too tolerant. Cycle paths are good for commuters and recreational cyclists, but not for racers/triathletes. You just cannot do 20+ mph without having to stop a zillion times on a cycle path.The only option is the road to do some proper training. But have to admit, there are lot of cyclists who should learn the basic rule to behave safely on the road.