Canberra 4 weeks update.

sully7669

Living around March in the UK I can say drivers are not too tolerant. Cycle paths are good for commuters and recreational cyclists, but not for racers/triathletes. You just cannot do 20+ mph without having to stop a zillion times on a cycle path.The only option is the road to do some proper training. But have to admit, there are lot of cyclists who should learn the basic rule to behave safely on the road.

You're just down the road from me! I can tell you that Cambridgeshire drivers are a whole lot more tolerant than Canberra ones!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Little update from me as on the 15th of July I fell off my mountain bike on Mt Stromlo and broke my back and 9 ribs and 2 shoulder blades. I am lucky to be alive and walking. Had great help from the Canberra Hospital surgical team who put me back together again! I will be back on my bike soon as it was a freak accident.

Little update from me as on the 15th of July I fell off my mountain bike on Mt Stromlo and broke my back and 9 ribs and 2 shoulder blades. I am lucky to be alive and walking. Had great help from the Canberra Hospital surgical team who put me back together again! I will be back on my bike soon as it was a freak accident.

Sorry to hear about the accident and wish you a swift full recovery. But at least you have your family with you to give support. Just stay positive!

Holy Mother of.... How on earth did you do that. I'm a fond snowboarder and mountainbiker and broke a few things in my life, had some stitches here and there and the casual scratch mark. But your back, 9 ribs and two shoulders.... Man that IS a freak accident.

Hope you heal soon though. Hang in there so we can ride together (when I finally move over...)

• 10 months later...

Hello guys,

just wandering if there is anyone out there that is from the UK, or anyone looking to catch up for a coffee, kids play etc? I have a 6 year old son and 7 year old daughter and live in amaroo. I have lived here for 2 years and looking to meet new people.

let me know if you fancy it

cheers

Faye

Triple ouch! I broke my ankle bushwalking at Thredbo (and then made it worse by walking back down the mountain), so I cannot even imagine what a back, ribs and shoulder blades would feel like.

Important to remember that it takes at least six months for bone to fuse back together 100%, and until then it won't take much to re-open the breaks. So no falls, even minor ones, till December! Also get working with a physio a.s.a.p. as the trauma will cause your muscles, ligaments etc to tighten up and you don't want to lose range of movement if you're an athlete.

Edited by Marisawright

• 4 weeks later...
Triple ouch! I broke my ankle bushwalking at Thredbo (and then made it worse by walking back down the mountain), so I cannot even imagine what a back, ribs and shoulder blades would feel like.

Important to remember that it takes at least six months for bone to fuse back together 100%, and until then it won't take much to re-open the breaks. So no falls, even minor ones, till December! Also get working with a physio a.s.a.p. as the trauma will cause your muscles, ligaments etc to tighten up and you don't want to lose range of movement if you're an athlete.

Thanks for your reply, I have had physio in february and that was my biggest turning point so after 1 year now all good and feeling well even been skiing in Perisher with a back protector and loving being back on the snow and my bike still unable to run as shockwaves go straight up the titanium rods attached to my spine but 2 out of 3 things isn't bad.