Grocery prices - UK vs Australia from our recent reccie

SaffanZimbo

Article in the papers this week saying that prices are dropping at the supermarkets. In fact they are now worried that we may get deflation here due to the high dollar. I have noticed that things are getting cheaper now. When we have a shortage of products here we are the people who have to pay exports are sent first then we get what is left.

I was at Dandenong Market yesterday and the prices were no different to the veg shops and supermarkets. In fact the produce is better in the supermarkets. Leeks for example were one dollar eighty each in Safeway and two dollars eighty at the market. Not worth the shoe leather, crowds and petrol to chase cheaper.

Edited by Petals

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you buy electronic cigaretts in Oz?

Cheers

You can but they don't have any nicotine in them. You can get the e liquid imported but it looks like a bit of a faf. I haven't tried but had a look into it. Depending on where you are there may be a shop locally that does something too.

Guest Ptp113
Having just returned from our reccie, I have finally got around to updating my grocery prices spreadsheet which is attached (I hope.... had a bit of trouble as it wouldn't attach my excel worksheet so had to pdf it!).

For anyone who is interested I can send on the excel worksheet (boring I know!).

Honestly - yes, I found the food prices shocking when comparing using the £ exchange rate of 1.4 BUT as those living in Perth will tell you salaries are much higher than the UK so taken in context they are affordable.

I shopped mostly at Coles and Woolworths and appreciate that their prices are higher than if I had shopped around but I was in unfamiliar territory so stuck to the shops in the area we stayed.

Hopefully by the time we move Aldi and Costco will have opened in Perth to give the big supermarkets more competition!

NOTE:

One thing which did shock me was that our host bought a Dyson DC39 Animal whilst we were staying with her and she paid $796. The same Dyson in the UK is £271.99 in Tesco!!!! I will be investing in a new Dyson before we move!:wacko:

Why don't poms understand that there is shopping other than supermarkets?

Guest The Pom Queen

We use supermarkets for convenience. If we went off to Rustys (fruit market), the meat wholesaler in Portsmith etc it would take half a day to do the shopping and I don't have time.

Guest Ptp113
We use supermarkets for convenience. If we went off to Rustys (fruit market), the meat wholesaler in Portsmith etc it would take half a day to do the shopping and I don't have time.

that's sad. One farmers market here gets 10,000+ every Saturdeay morning, much cheaper and fresher, and a social outing.

Perth is more expensive but then wages are generally higher. Homeward the reason for the banana price fluctuation was the flooding in Queensland

But they grow bananas elsewhere in Oz.....?! We have to import them from much further here and they are nowhere near that much. The wages may be higher in Perth but surely being ripped off is still unacceptable? You earn more...you pay more tax and higher prices...who's winning there then?

Guest Ptp113
But they grow bananas elsewhere in Oz.....?! We have to import them from much further here and they are nowhere near that much. The wages may be higher in Perth but surely being ripped off is still unacceptable? You earn more...you pay more tax and higher prices...who's winning there then?

They are, they are'nt stuck in Blighty!

Guest The Pom Queen
that's sad. One farmers market here gets 10,000+ every Saturdeay morning, much cheaper and fresher, and a social outing.

One weekend I headed to Rustys, got some fruit and veg it had gone off by the next day and they were from different stalls. Paddle market in Sydney is packed.

Because some people try to have a life here rather than spending one of their days on the weekend driving all over perth to keep the food shopping bill down, as the shops are shut by the time people get home during the week.

That's what I miss about the UK... Walk straight into Sainsbury's , get everything you need under one roof and then straight home. I'm not that worried that " it's not as fresh " b••••••s , I don't want to waste a Saturday or Sunday driving all over the show. I want to do this after work " during a week night " and not have to put up with things being seasonal. I quite like living in the modern world.

Paul why don't you just walk into Coles or Woolworths and get everything under one roof - I don't see them as being much different from Sainsbury's - why do you think they are?

There shut when I get home from work. In WA shopping centres close at 5. And there are 20 years behind UK supermarkets in terms of choice. Coles and woolworths remind my of going back in time when we used to go to kwik save after school.

Having just returned from our reccie, I have finally got around to updating my grocery prices spreadsheet which is attached (I hope.... had a bit of trouble as it wouldn't attach my excel worksheet so had to pdf it!).

For anyone who is interested I can send on the excel worksheet (boring I know!).

Honestly - yes, I found the food prices shocking when comparing using the £ exchange rate of 1.4 BUT as those living in Perth will tell you salaries are much higher than the UK so taken in context they are affordable.

I shopped mostly at Coles and Woolworths and appreciate that their prices are higher than if I had shopped around but I was in unfamiliar territory so stuck to the shops in the area we stayed.

Hopefully by the time we move Aldi and Costco will have opened in Perth to give the big supermarkets more competition!

NOTE:

One thing which did shock me was that our host bought a Dyson DC39 Animal whilst we were staying with her and she paid $796. The same Dyson in the UK is £271.99 in Tesco!!!! I will be investing in a new Dyson before we move!:wacko:

I am just wondering if you have secured work already? If not the assumption that wages are higher is a dangerous one, especially as many tradies and professionals have to take a step back career wise to get a start, without 'local' knowledge and an established network people can find it hard. It depends so much on what you do - it is brilliant to see someone taking a methodical approach too many take the 'she'll be right approach' and see what they want to see on a reccie (we did!) so I am sure you have done the same with salaries but just in case....

To give you an idea, the first job a took in Perth was 1.80 $ to £ (the exchange rate was 2.60 at the time), now after 4 years my salary would be 2.25 $ to £ so still probably falling short of the 'cost of living' gap and that is without taking into account the astronomical house prices unless you live in the back of beyond.

On the plus side I echo what everyone else says, don't buy your fruit and veg at supermarkets! I will be off shortly to the farmers market where I can get locally grown, extremely fresh, SEASONAL produce for around half the cost of Woolies or Coles. For me it is a matter of conscience as much as money saving and I love the Aussie way of shopping, greengrocers, fishmongers, delis, bakers. I can go to each of these as quickly and easily as walking around the typical Tesco 'warehouse' and get real service - in fact the only downside is stopping to have a chat in each one does mean it takes longer but I don't find shopping a chore here so it doesn't matter.

I am not a fan of Spudshed, it is cheap but a lot of it comes from cold storage (like a lot of so called fresh stuff in the UK) so goes off very quickly. If you go through a lot it might be okay though!

Just wondering why you are choosing Perth? If you have family in NZ surely the east coast makes more sense and it seems from what people are saying it's cheaper there too.

Guest Ptp113
Because some people try to have a life here rather than spending one of their days on the weekend driving all over perth to keep the food shopping bill down, as the shops are shut by the time people get home during the week.

Another reason not to live in WA!

The thing that always amazed us was how prices would fluctuate wildly day to day, bananas one day $3 and then $10 for instance.

The only time banana prices changed dramatically here was due to a cyclone which destroyed about 90% of the crop.

Guest Ptp113
There shut when I get home from work. In WA shopping centres close at 5. And there are 20 years behind UK supermarkets in terms of choice. Coles and woolworths remind my of going back in time when we used to go to kwik save after school.

Are you trying to tell us shopping centres in WA close at 5:00pm??

That's what I miss about the UK... Walk straight into Sainsbury's , get everything you need under one roof and then straight home. I'm not that worried that " it's not as fresh " b••••••s , I don't want to waste a Saturday or Sunday driving all over the show. I want to do this after work " during a week night " and not have to put up with things being seasonal. I quite like living in the modern world.

To get produce put of season means having to import it from elsewhere, which usually means flying it in. A lot of produce in the UK supermarkets is either grown in greenhouses with artificial lighting and heating or is from places like Egypt and various African countries. While it's good for the producers in those countries it's not so great for the environment flying fruit and veg everywhere or heating and lighting greenhouses so you can British tomatoes in winter. I used to buy a lot of things from Able & Cole in the UK who never air freight anything and quite happily ate seasonally most of the time. I could get veggies from them that you would never see in the supermarkets near us as well.

A lot (most?) fruit and veg in Australian shops is grown in Australia. It's not so easy to fly fruit and veg in from other countries due to the distances involved a lot of the time. And the boarder protection thing stops a lot of imports, rightly or wrongly, but that is an argument for a different thread. If most of the fruit and veg for sale is grown in Australia then it has to be seasonal.

​I lived for 12 years in Brisbane and although it was the cause that one year it doesnt explain the rollercoaster prices normally.

The prices here are in the $2 - $3.50 range throughout the year - depending on the time in the growing season. I wouldn't call that roller coaster prices.

Edited by Skani