Grocery prices - UK vs Australia from our recent reccie

SaffanZimbo

Having just returned from our reccie, I have finally got around to updating my grocery prices spreadsheet which is attached (I hope.... had a bit of trouble as it wouldn't attach my excel worksheet so had to pdf it!).

For anyone who is interested I can send on the excel worksheet (boring I know!).

Honestly - yes, I found the food prices shocking when comparing using the £ exchange rate of 1.4 BUT as those living in Perth will tell you salaries are much higher than the UK so taken in context they are affordable.

I shopped mostly at Coles and Woolworths and appreciate that their prices are higher than if I had shopped around but I was in unfamiliar territory so stuck to the shops in the area we stayed.

Hopefully by the time we move Aldi and Costco will have opened in Perth to give the big supermarkets more competition!

NOTE:

One thing which did shock me was that our host bought a Dyson DC39 Animal whilst we were staying with her and she paid $796. The same Dyson in the UK is £271.99 in Tesco!!!! I will be investing in a new Dyson before we move!:wacko:

UK vs Australia grocery prices - 26 April 2013.pdf

UK vs Australia grocery prices - 26 April 2013.pdf

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Pom Queen

Hope you don't mind but I moved your thread to household as I think it will be of huge help to a lot of people and be seen more.

I don't know why people (not just OP) make such detailed calculations, would you do that at home with your weekly shop? I know its good to know roughly your outgoings but would the cost of a trolley of groceries really stop you from emigrating? If you want to go you will go no matter how much bog roll costs.

I don't know why people (not just OP) make such detailed calculations, would you do that at home with your weekly shop? I know its good to know roughly your outgoings but would the cost of a trolley of groceries really stop you from emigrating? If you want to go you will go no matter how much bog roll costs.

I agree with what you say, but people need to realise the cost of living in Perth. If people did not do their research, then I am sure there would be some who would say, "oh didn't you do any research, or you should have known". It's interesting that people out of state are shocked by the prices of groceries in WA.

BTW, thanks SaffanZimbo:notworthy:

We are unfortunately running a very tight ship as we are supporting my mum in NZ so we try to keep our grocery bill and all other bills down as much as possible. Sorry to be so dull but yes I do keep a detailed list every month of my outgoings including groceries.

The high prices in Perth won't stop us emigrating but I do want to ensure I can afford a month's groceries after forking out for rent, utitilies, fuel etc. I have 2 girls who can go through an large amount of fresh fruit every week in the UK and want to be prepared for the prices in Perth, I appreciate I will have to shop around more but don't want to cut down on the fresh fruit & veg which were the 2 categories which shocked me price wise the most!

We are unfortunately running a very tight ship as we are supporting my mum in NZ so we try to keep our grocery bill and all other bills down as much as possible. Sorry to be so dull but yes I do keep a detailed list every month of my outgoings including groceries.

The high prices in Perth won't stop us emigrating but I do want to ensure I can afford a month's groceries after forking out for rent, utitilies, fuel etc. I have 2 girls who can go through an large amount of fresh fruit every week in the UK and want to be prepared for the prices in Perth, I appreciate I will have to shop around more but don't want to cut down on the fresh fruit & veg which were the 2 categories which shocked me price wise the most!

You can get fruit and veg much cheaper by shopping at the markets. Plus these items are seasonal so for instance the price varies massively and most people I know adjust their intake seasonally, I know I do. Just something to get used to once you get here.

You can get fruit and veg much cheaper by shopping at the markets. Plus these items are seasonal so for instance the price varies massively and most people I know adjust their intake seasonally, I know I do. Just something to get used to once you get here.

Agree totally. Almost fell off my chair when I saw some of the prices on that list. $12.98 kg for grapes? :shocked: Glad I bought mine for $2.99 kg today. And some of the other prices for fruit and veg are more than double the amount I would ever pay.

Agree totally. Almost fell off my chair when I saw some of the prices on that list. $12.98 kg for grapes? :shocked: Glad I bought mine for $2.99 kg today. And some of the other prices for fruit and veg are more than double the amount I would ever pay.

I did find cheaper grapes at the SpudShed for $4.99/kg but the next day they were soft and mushy and horrible! But as my host said they are seasonal and I had missed the cheap months of December-February. We'll have to learn to adjust our eating habits to seasonal trends!

I did a grocery shop today in the UK and glad I'm back to realistic prices based on my UK salary!

Now all we need is for the £ to get much stronger before our big move to take the hurt out of the cost of living in WA!

Guest chris955

I must admit we still have to double check some of the prices here and that is only comparing to Brisbane prices not Perth which sounds even more expensive. The thing that always amazed us was how prices would fluctuate wildly day to day, bananas one day $3 and then $10 for instance.

Im not sure how long it will be before the pound gets MUCH stronger against the dollar but it is over $1.50 which is at least heading in the right direction.

I did find cheaper grapes at the SpudShed for $4.99/kg but the next day they were soft and mushy and horrible! But as my host said they are seasonal and I had missed the cheap months of December-February. We'll have to learn to adjust our eating habits to seasonal trends! I did a grocery shop today in the UK and glad I'm back to realistic prices based on my UK salary! Now all we need is for the £ to get much stronger before our big move to take the hurt out of the cost of living in WA!

Guest chris955
Perth is more expensive but then wages are generally higher. Homeward the reason for the banana price fluctuation was the flooding in Queensland

​I lived for 12 years in Brisbane and although it was the cause that one year it doesnt explain the rollercoaster prices normally.

Because it is part of the process of evaluating if it is worth it. There is no point moving for some sunshine and finding you cant afford to eat. Also, many of us are paid the same amount regardless of which country.

Perth is more expensive but then wages are generally higher. Homeward the reason for the banana price fluctuation was the flooding in Queensland

The banana thing was bizzare - while it was going on and we needed a bank loan to have a banana milk shake, my father in law sent me a pic of bananas being advertised in the UK at a pound - Produce of Australia

Wait till you try to buy organic or pure grass fed beef (not the crap that is reared in feed lots).

Having just returned from our reccie, I have finally got around to updating my grocery prices spreadsheet which is attached (I hope.... had a bit of trouble as it wouldn't attach my excel worksheet so had to pdf it!).

For anyone who is interested I can send on the excel worksheet (boring I know!).

Honestly - yes, I found the food prices shocking when comparing using the £ exchange rate of 1.4 BUT as those living in Perth will tell you salaries are much higher than the UK so taken in context they are affordable.

I shopped mostly at Coles and Woolworths and appreciate that their prices are higher than if I had shopped around but I was in unfamiliar territory so stuck to the shops in the area we stayed.

Hopefully by the time we move Aldi and Costco will have opened in Perth to give the big supermarkets more competition!

NOTE:

One thing which did shock me was that our host bought a Dyson DC39 Animal whilst we were staying with her and she paid $796. The same Dyson in the UK is £271.99 in Tesco!!!! I will be investing in a new Dyson before we move!:wacko:

Guest JK2510
Can you get seedless grapes in Perth yet?

Yes apparently so even though I have brought seedless grapes with seeds in them! Perhaps seedless means something else in Perth?!