Grocery prices - UK vs Australia from our recent reccie

SaffanZimbo

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever wondered why there is such a thing as Fair Trade bananas in the UK - and not in Australia?

Because your basic UK banana is being sold to you cheaply off the slavery and poverty of people for whom you care not one iota.

I'm willing to bet that our 'fair trade' bananas are still considerably cheaper than the one's grown 'locally' in Australia......

Guest chris955
Because in the UK we can pretty much get everything at a reasonable cost in them....we don't have to get up at the crack of dawn and drive half an hour (minimum) to ensure we're not ripped off.

​And lets not forget if for whatever reason we dont want to go to the supermarket we can go to one of the many markets or farmers markets, oh just like in Australia ;)

Guest chris955
Few markets and farmers markets near me in Perth. Probably not as many as you of course.

​I really wouldnt know, there are a few around here but I wouldnt know about Perth.

Guest chris955
So your 'just like australia' comment clearly just meant your own area where you lived. This is why you shouldn't be a moderator. Moderators should be unbiased, and you clearly are not.

No, the 'just like Australia' comment was in reference to the ridiculous statement about Brits only shopping in supermarkets which clearly isnt the case. If you had read the post I was replying to you would have understood what I was getting at. Nothing at all to do with being biased or otherwise but your concerns will be noted.

No, the 'just like Australia' comment was in reference to the ridiculous statement about Brits only shopping in supermarkets which clearly isnt the case. If you had read the post I was replying to you would have understood what I was getting at. Nothing at all to do with being biased or otherwise but your concerns will be noted.

Good, I will report every biased post.

Good' date=' I will report every biased post.[/quote']

There is no need. In fact most mods will have a preference for Australia or UK and might have expressed it at some point, HWB was brought on as a result if a request for balance. Being "biased" with respect to preference over where to live, is not against forum rules.

There is no need. In fact most mods will have a preference for Australia or UK and might have expressed it at some point, HWB was brought on as a result if a request for balance. Being "biased" with respect to preference over where to live, is not against forum rules.

A moderator should be unbiased IMO.

A moderator should be unbiased IMO.

They should be unbiased and even handling in their dealing with members.

But that does not mean they cannot have or express any preferences, it would be very difficult to find any moderator that has no opinion on anything, we are not robots but real people. He only said he goes to garden markets in UK, I really do not see what the issue with that is.

Personally I have said this before and I say again I found the prices similar when in the UK in 2010 and it really depends what people like to buy. I have brands I like and things I like and there are other cheaper things around but I prefer my likes. I can afford them so who cares if its cheaper or dearer. When we cannot afford food then we can really worry about it. You can eat cheap and you can eat dear its up to people to decide. I might add that I have never bought lots of processed food in either country so that makes a big difference to the food bill. I do not see the need for sweets, chocolate, soft drinks, chips all that stuff that rots your teeth and ensures large dental bills.

If you buy junk you pay the price. Packets of stuff to put in stews for example, what is wrong with good old first basics cooking.

There is no bias there is just difference between what people think is necessary to the smooth running of their lives.

As for free trade, Primark factory falls down in Bangladesh with how many dead, think on when you are going into the cheap shop for the cheap clothes, who is making them????????

You gets what you pay for and always have.

They should be unbiased and even handling in their dealing with members.

But that does not mean they cannot have or express any preferences, it would be very difficult to find any moderator that has no opinion on anything, we are not robots but real people. He only said he goes to garden markets in UK, I really do not see what the issue with that is.

Teenage daughter home now so I am off to bed. All I will say before I go is that this poster and many of his little possey are biased and it doesn't make for a good expats website. Just my own opinion of course.

Teenage daughter home now so I am off to bed. All I will say before I go is that this poster and many of his little possey are biased and it doesn't make for a good expats website. Just my own opinion of course.

Off to bed? Good lord I am on the bus to work. :wink:

Guest chris955
Off to bed? Good lord I am on the bus to work. :wink:

Im in bed watching Endeavour, the new ITV series about the early days of Morse. A good show and well worth watching especially for Morse fans.

Guest Ptp113
Because in the UK we can pretty much get everything at a reasonable cost in them....we don't have to get up at the crack of dawn and drive half an hour (minimum) to ensure we're not ripped off.

​Typical pom laziness! Luckily there are many poms in Blighty who still shop outside supercraps, and they are doing well if they have a quality product.

​Typical pom laziness! Luckily there are many poms in Blighty who still shop outside supercraps, and they are doing well if they have a quality product.

Not really laziness Wend...just prefer to spend my time doing other things- if I go to a farmers market it's because of the wonderful things they offer not because I can buy a whole bag of loose grapes for a steal.....

Guest Ptp113
Not really laziness Wend...just prefer to spend my time doing other things- if I go to a farmers market it's because of the wonderful things they offer not because I can buy a whole bag of loose grapes for a steal.....

Same here. Better produce direct from the grower/rearer etc. A pity you didnt get to see outside Qld supercraps,

Edited by The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

We also need to remember moderators are still members and as far as I'm concerned they can have differing opinions as long as they don't break forum rules

I must be living in the wrong bit of Australia, I always knew there was something wrong, you must tell me about all these secret Framageries, Boulangeries, Patisseries, charcuteries with their cornucopia hidden away down some secret alley in my Westfield shopping center, do you need a password to get into it?

I was referring to FRANCE!!

However, if your only shopping option was Westfield then you probably were living in the wrong part of Australia. The joy of shopping here for me is all the independent stores and markets Much as I imagined life on France to be (though Harpo suggests I am wrong there and since I haven't been in the past 5 years of course places change.