Do children need photo ID for Qantas domestic flights?

Petkula73

Hi

We're booked for a short break up to Port Douglas next week and have just realised that our 5 year old daughter's British passport expired at the end of March.

We're going to apply for a new one at the weekend, but it won't be ready for several weeks, so we are worried that Qantas will not let us travel.

I have checked their website and the information seems to indicate that it should be okay, but I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of this?

Can't believe we let her passport expire though - how irresponsible!:embarrassed::embarrassed:

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi

We're booked for a short break up to Port Douglas next week and have just realised that our 5 year old daughter's British passport expired at the end of March.

We're going to apply for a new one at the weekend, but it won't be ready for several weeks, so we are worried that Qantas will not let us travel.

I have checked their website and the information seems to indicate that it should be okay, but I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of this?

Can't believe we let her passport expire though - how irresponsible!:embarrassed::embarrassed:

You don't need a passport UNLESS you are travelling on an international route. We got asked for ID for the first time on a domestic flight on Monday with virgin, we had nothing for our son but they were happy with a Medicare card. Usually we get the children to carry their school ID's and we use our driving licences

​Ps weather is great up here at the moment 30 degrees, hardly any humidity and blue skies

Guest The Pom Queen
You don't need a passport UNLESS you are travelling on an international route. We got asked for ID for the first time on a domestic flight on Monday with virgin, we had nothing for our son but they were happy with a Medicare card. Usually we get the children to carry their school ID's and we use our driving licences

​Ps weather is great up here at the moment 30 degrees, hardly any humidity and blue skies

Just thought I better add to this sometimes the airline/flight may be stopping in Cairns on route to Hong Kong if this is the case then yes you would need a passport.

Many airlines ask for ID even if a passport isn't required, after all tickets are not transferable. I would give Quantas a quick call to check or e-mail an enquiry - that way you will get a wrotten reply you can take with you to the airport.

Err you don't need a passport for domestic travel .... maybe I am missing something?

You need photo ID to fly in Europe and the US at least. This normally means an identity card or passport, so for British people it's your passport. Things seem a bit more relaxed here though. The thing I was most shocked with was in Napier they don't even scan your bags or make you walk through a metal detector! Naive...

Thanks M2M.

This seems to suggest it'll be okay, but it's a bit vague. I have emailed Qantas and will give them a call if I don't hear anything by Monday. If she does need photo ID we'll need to postpone the trip, but it's not the end of the world.

On a related topic, I understand you can submit an application for a UK passport via Auspost (via the British Consulate in Wellington). Does anyone know how long this will take? We have no plans to travel overseas until June (God forbid!).

I understand you can submit an application for a UK passport via Auspost (via the British Consulate in Wellington). Does anyone know how long this will take? We have no plans to travel overseas until June (God forbid!).

Pretty quick, 2-3 weeks when I did it. I was just renewing rather than applying for a new one, not sure if that would slow it down.

The snag is the cost ($278 I think) which is waaaaay more than in the UK.

Err you don't need a passport for domestic travel .... maybe I am missing something?

You don't need a passport, but adults do need photoID for domestic flights, for a five year old, the only valid photo ID would be a passport as they dont have driving/gun licenses. Hence the OP's question.

​However I'm pretty sure birth cert/medicare cards etc can be used instead of photoID for kids. The qantas website has the details.

If it's any help to you... we recently flew to Cairns from Perth and at the ticket booth they just asked if we had a medicare card... it has all our names that matched the tickets. :)

Hi

Never been asked for ID on domestic flights in Australia except for Tiger. They are lenient with photo ID for children - but in any case, most people in Australia (apart from border guards!) will accept an expired passport that is no more than 2 years out of date.

I've never been asked by Qantas (or any other domestic carrier) for photo ID for children. Having read the link given by M2M I understand it to say that, for a child under 18 without photo ID, you just need to write the full name of the child on the reverse of the boarding card of the adult with whom he/she will be travelling.

Archived