Windy??

pacticenurse

Quick question.. My husband was told by a colleague who lived and worked in Perth for a short period that it's always windy!! He said it was that bad that he could never live there! This was coming from a Scotsman who is used to bad weather! Any truth in this? Or could he have just been there at a bad time of year? :cool:

Yes, Perth is windy. One of the windiest cities in the world. But, it is considered by most as a plus and is known as The Doctor, because during hot days, it tends to come in on an afternoon and cool people down. I, personally, don't like it on an afternoon as it makes the beach impossible - you get sand blasted. But I do like it on a night as by having the windows open it gives a breeze that helps me sleep.

I have never heard of anyone using that as a reason not to live here.

It has been hot and humid for the last few days and the breeze this morning is very welcome.

I heard it had the most predictable wind in the world. The Fremantle Doctor comes in by about 2pm every summer afternoon and lowers the temperatures. It is a blessing rather than something to complain about. Great for sailing too. Wind not so much of a problem in winter.

Yes, it can be windy, but as others have said it is most welcome in the afternoon on a very hot day. We live on the coast, and we have had the odd few days, where our lounge and dining furniture have blown from one end of the balcony to the other, Lol! but that doesn't happen very often! I certainly wouldn't see it as a reason not to live here.

It's very wild over there in winter. Gales and even the odd tornado.

Aside from that I think it is just the sea breeze that others have mentioned that lifts the average wind speed right up.

Official stats from the BOM site show that the windiest month is January but the highest gust was recorded in August (156km/hr ).

Hi.. Thanks for the info.. I found it hard to believe it would be bad enough to not want up live there! :-)

It depends what you want to do - we live very near Fremantle so get the full force of the Dr., as others have said it is mostly very welcome, it is a mecca for wind surfers and kite surfers and i know people who moved here precisely because it was one of the windiest cities.

It certainly does have it's downside though - any ideas of picnic dinners down the beach were forgotten as soon as we got here - you just have to look at the direct the trees grow! And as a cyclist riding South to Fremantle in the afternoon is a bigger challenge than I like!

The worse wind is the easterly - hot and windy and when it's humid as well the car fumes just seem to get blown up your nose - thankfully they don't come too often.

Archived