medical records and dental records going to australia?

bwatt99

When it comes to getting medical records why do we need this and what is it for so they know more about us when we arrive,who will have access to these?medicare?or do they get sent to somewhere?

My wife asked about it last time she went to see the doctor and they gave her a form application for access to medical records is this what we need and fill in or is this not what we want?

How long does it take to access or get these,ok if it took a little while to get we can always have them sent on to us,or is this something better taken with us before we leave and as said why do we need them and who wants them when we arrive.

I see on the form it says its £10 to access to records and an additional fee of 40p per page is charged if records are to be photocopied up to a max of £50 again is this what we are after?

So if my wife and i need this what about or 8 month old baby?when it says about 40p per page are records often very long or short?I suppose it depends on how ill or whats been up with you over the years right?

So does this go right back to a child or being born or just a few years,i have no idea what im after here as all i read is get medical records and god knows how many pages there could be of each person.

Also not looked into dental records i take the same goes for that also we still need to contact the dentist,say my wife or i used a past dentist or have used one more often will the most recent one have all the records needed or what is required and again why do we need these,who wants them and why?

If anyone has more info on this how it works and if what we have is what we are after i be greatfull to find out more

When I left the UK I paid the 10 quid for medical records at the doctors and I think it has come in useful for doctors here. As far as I can remember, for computer records the 10 quid should cover almost everything but if they have any hand written notes then they are charging the extra for time. I am sure most people will have some hand written records.

I think it is wise to request these as it will allow your new doctors to review your medical history, spot patterns of illness and have records of immunisations, blood tests etc. I can't remember when I had my jabs and only have my doctors word on what test results mean as I don't have access to the results.

I had to go to my doctors recently and she said that it was really useful that I had brought my medical records from the UK and she wished more immigrants did it. There is growing evidence that more conditions may have a genetic element to them or are very slow developing so the more info they have, the easier it can be to gain a full medical history.

For the dentist, I didn't bother as they just have to look in your mouth and I've been very lucky in having few teeth problems. I would recommend going to the dentist in the Uk and getting any treatment you need sorted out before you go as it is going to be much cheaper than in OZ where a checkup alone can cost $160.

Anybody can request medical records, however this can happen of you wish to complain and need evidence of what was done/not done for you. Long story short unless you have very complicated medical history I would not advise this. Of you have ever seen your paper notes they are inches and inches thick. What you are after is a medical summary, outlining what the above post stated, immunisations, highligtining medication taken, illnesses etc, its several pages long. At a cost of 10 pounds or so.

I ask my dentist for a summary from him and he said its not needed, a dentist can what's going on by looking in your mouth. I came with medical summary but not used it as with bulk Billing I go to medical centres and see different doctors all the time, I don't believe they keep any written notes on you. Medicare do not require your medical notes.

did i get one for 8 month old girl?She would hardly have any medical records?

The things im not sure about is it says on the form there is a fee for access to records and additional fee of 40p per page if records are to be photocopied so i take im looking to photo copy them then as no point in just looking,it says to access records its £10 but with photocopies this can go upto £50 any advise on this please,as if i planning on getting this done it make take a while and i am going end of next month,so you was £10 and you got copies away with you,there would be myself and wife and we have a baby girl of 8 months

When I left the UK I paid the 10 quid for medical records at the doctors and I think it has come in useful for doctors here. As far as I can remember, for computer records the 10 quid should cover almost everything but if they have any hand written notes then they are charging the extra for time. I am sure most people will have some hand written records.

I think it is wise to request these as it will allow your new doctors to review your medical history, spot patterns of illness and have records of immunisations, blood tests etc. I can't remember when I had my jabs and only have my doctors word on what test results mean as I don't have access to the results.

I had to go to my doctors recently and she said that it was really useful that I had brought my medical records from the UK and she wished more immigrants did it. There is growing evidence that more conditions may have a genetic element to them or are very slow developing so the more info they have, the easier it can be to gain a full medical history.

For the dentist, I didn't bother as they just have to look in your mouth and I've been very lucky in having few teeth problems. I would recommend going to the dentist in the Uk and getting any treatment you need sorted out before you go as it is going to be much cheaper than in OZ where a checkup alone can cost $160.

so this could be pages and pages long and cost a fortune then?and really no point i not touch wood been to doctors much in my days or been very ill so maybe ok,if its only £10 then its not going to be an issue but if its going to cost me like £50 each or something then im not sure

so this could be pages and pages long and cost a fortune then?and really no point i not touch wood been to doctors much in my days or been very ill so maybe ok,if its only £10 then its not going to be an issue but if its going to cost me like £50 each or something then im not sure

your child's red book will be enough for her. For you and your wife it isn't necessary unless you have a complicated medical history that may require regular visits to the doctor and regular medication.

your child's red book will be enough for her. For you and your wife it isn't necessary unless you have a complicated medical history that may require regular visits to the doctor and regular medication.

cheers nothernbird so really its just a waste of money and time then?as if i need it then i think i should be applying now,i am trying to think what stuff is important to apply for get while i have time,gets bursting with to do's and to get etc and time seems to be flying past

cheers nothernbird so really its just a waste of money and time then?as if i need it then i think i should be applying now,i am trying to think what stuff is important to apply for get while i have time,gets bursting with to do's and to get etc and time seems to be flying past

If you have a complicated medical history yes it is important but if you haven't been to the doctors in years and only just for your average throat infection I would say it would be a waste of time and money.

As others have said, everyone should have a summary of their medical record easily accessible now - all significant illnesses, blood/xray results, immunisation record etc. I do think it's useful to have a copy of this for your own record as much as for your new GP. It's easy to forget what immunisations you've had and when and even when you've had illnesses or operations.

I spent 8 years writing them for a large practice - they're rarely more than a couple of sheets of A4, so shouldn't be too much to pay, or to carry.

I wouldn't bother for a fit and healthy baby though. As has been said, everything will be in her red book.

As others have said, everyone should have a summary of their medical record easily accessible now - all significant illnesses, blood/xray results, immunisation record etc. I do think it's useful to have a copy of this for your own record as much as for your new GP. It's easy to forget what immunisations you've had and when and even when you've had illnesses or operations.

I spent 8 years writing them for a large practice - they're rarely more than a couple of sheets of A4, so shouldn't be too much to pay, or to carry.

I wouldn't bother for a fit and healthy baby though. As has been said, everything will be in her red book.

Ok if its only a couple of a4 sheets then no probs but i would be worried if its pages and pages long and im charged a fortune,if its just this and say £10 each then i dont mind paying that its also saying on the form that 21 days notice is needed then if so i better apply asap

Just make it clear to the receptionist that you want the summary and any record of immunisations, drug allergies etc. You don't want any copies of hospital letters (unless there's something useful for getting health/life insurance - I had a copy of a letter for a heart op I had to prove that the problem was completely resolved and I wasn't going to drop dead the day after getting insurance!).

It shouldn't be much.

Funny you should say that! My 34 yr old son asked me just yesterday if he had had the MMR vaccination! Didn't really matter, they gave him another anyway! I had no idea!

In general it wouldn't be much of an issue not to take them unless a child has a iagnosed disability in which case take every piece of paper ever written about them!

Funny you should say that! My 34 yr old son asked me just yesterday if he had had the MMR vaccination! Didn't really matter, they gave him another anyway! I had no idea!

In general it wouldn't be much of an issue not to take them unless a child has a iagnosed disability in which case take every piece of paper ever written about them!

Oh yes! Two years ago I spent three months going through nearly 4,000 records to find everyone who'd only had one MMR and inviting them for a booster (mumps outbreak). It's not surprising people can't remember. It's surprising how many can't remember their allergies though, which can be a bit tricky sometimes!!

Breath and relax! Don't get yourself worked up over something that's really not that important if you don't have any major health issues. I have health issues and only brought a medical summary with me..I know what's wrong with me so can tell a doctor.

Forget getting access to you're medical records, it's not necessary in your case by the sounds of things.

Im not sure how to go here with this some are saying get these and others not!For me as a baby i had no jabs a choice mother decided on,as for my years to present age just day to day normal stuff most people get sometime in there lives,and been in hospital once after being attacked by a couple of guys for xray to head which was ok,stitches to head,but apart from that nothing else really touch wood had a healthy life.As for wife same goes normal day to day stuff,think she has had her jabs,pregnant several times etc.So on what im reading above i wasting my time really? anything they might need to know over there we probably already know and can tell them.

As for dental work as someone said no point as they just open mouth and see whats required and so would not need this right?I had also dental work two front crowns from the attack i had and the old few things from getting older etc,same goes for wife just normal day to day dental work etc.

So by the sounds of this then i am waiting my time and money on something i really dont needed,have any of you guys went over to oz without these and not needed them,or did you get asked for them.

I was going to get medical summaries for us but never got round to it (story of my life that). All of us have been to the doctors since we arrived and none of us has been asked for any medical notes. The thing to remember is that in Australia you don't register with a GP as such and you can go and see anyone you like so you could have seen one doctor for years then just change and go and see someone at a different practice and you wouldn't take any medical notes with you then either. The only thing I have got that is helpful is a picture of a mole in my eye that I can show to my opticians for them to check it hasn't changed.

• 2 years later...

Archived